Dog Green. Omaha Beach, 6th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Pete. It's good, no pressure, no worrying fun. ;)

Lee. I've almost given up trying to catch up with all my fellow modeller's builds. With so much flying through the pages, I'm now finding it almost impossible to do so, and as such I'm probably missing so much good stuff. They're away off the first few pages before you know it.....

Update....
I've decided to try and add a bit of action to the scene, so I've started work on wrecking the L.C. I'm using cushion stuffing left over from my Bismarck sinking dio. for the smoke resulting from a direct hit. This serves another purpose. I didn't have any L.C. crew figures, so the smoke now hides the fact!

I'm also working on a shell splash near the vessel. I'm hoping to 'Sculpt' this from a heap of clear silicone. Once dry I can build it some more and then paint the resulting pile.

P1360506.JPG

P1360507.JPG

P1360509.JPG

P1360511.JPG

Early days, but slowly getting there.....

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy and Rick. Thanks for your input chaps! I'm chuffed you approve of the steady progress.

...a bit more done.

I thought I'd take a couple of colour snaps to prove I'm painting the thing.

I've added some more black paint to the smoke and skwose the cushion fibres together to try and eliminate the wayward strands.

P1360521.JPG

P1360523.JPG

Also, I've done me a bit more sculpting to the shell splash. I figured a lot of the round's energy would have been dissipated by impacting the sand, so I'm trying to lessen the actual spread of the explosion. It has torred up a bit of the wooden defences, so I reckon that will do for any damage. We'll see....I've also added some red sand coloured paint to the silicone to make the base of the bang look like churned up sand. Providing the paint is put on 'Straight from the bottle', it sticks just fine. Don't let anyone tell you different. ;)

P1360524.JPG

P1360522.JPG

Cheers all and thanks for looking in.

Ron

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It is ALWAYS most interesting watching you create a scene. If there is water involved all the better.
Most excellent Sir.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking very good mate. I'm more than intrigued by your approach to creating in 3D what's in your imagination - - I love it, and thanks for making me think laterally in my model constructions!
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking very good mate. I'm more than intrigued by your approach to creating in 3D what's in your imagination - - I love it, and thanks for making me think laterally in my model constructions!
Steve
It'll be a while before I stat thinking in 3 dimensions!! Struggling in two right now!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think I've seen all of your dio builds young Ron, and with all of them, about halfway through, I think "It can't get any better than this" - and then it does! The stories you create and the details you add are just wonderful.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Such great posts are just the tonic I need to keep slogging on....

As usual with me and dio's, I've had me yet another idea. Using silicone, I've modelled a line of M.G. bullet impacts in the sand and watter!

Must do summat about the guy on the far right!

P1360530.JPG

Using watercolours, I've also started to work on the bluffs....

P1360535.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm still with you here, Ron! Love the B/W pics and it just gets better and better Sir. It's also nice to read that I'm not the only one that can't keep up with all the great builds on here either.

I am a little sad, as there won't be any classic 'chucking up' in this one though.......

Prost
Allen

PS, the guy on the right could be shooting while diving to the ground. Sort of an action pose, ya know......