Dog Green. Omaha Beach, 6th June 1944

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Oops uh ah um... yes I'm late but I've managed to squeeze in at the back, home made periscope to be able to see.
Ron, wow mate, love the build so far, very educational as always!
Great pics of the Normandy area, love that place, not just for the history but it's picturesque as well, we were in Brittany last year, I reckon I should bore swmbo... I mean treat swmbo to another trip there, she'll love it! She won't have a f@#ing choice! :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great posts chaps. Thanks for the support and nice comments. :thumb2:

I'm struggling with the thing a bit. (Have done from the off) I don't really like to see violence modelled, but I'm too far advanced now to scrap the diorama. So I'll persevere. I suppose there is not much difference between modelling death and destruction, as making the things that can cause it.

Anyway, here is the next stage...
I've highlighted the small wave tops in white and added some more general colour, particularly the deep water just after the shallows. Due to the base size constraints I've modelled these as thin bits of water. The real ones can be a football field size and very deep. Imagine trying to run or wade in full kit, in what you think is knee deep water only to disappear under water, down a 6 to 8ft deep bank of sand and fighting to get your gear off whilst getting shot at!

P1360174.JPG

P1360178.JPG

Next, a bit more paint. Then silicone and, if all looks o.k., some varnish.

After that I can start to add the beach obstacles and crank up the action.

Cheers,
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That thought of disappearing into a deep section of water as you come ashore under fire is frightening, god knows what those blokes thinking 570 .
Love the movement you've created, genuinely looks real, well done .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yet again I'm sorry for the late response to my fellow members post.
Thanks for your positive comments boys. :thumb2:

I've stuck in the various beach obstacles and using polyfilla (Other forms of parrot stuffing are available) I've added some more 'Life' to the water and given the water a first coat of ordinary household gloss varnish. I can now work me some silicone into the sea to give it a bit more of a sparkle. Then paint some more if required.

P1360491.JPG

See the small discs on the long poles? These were Teller Mines, The idea was the landing craft would ride up these when hidden underwater and explode the mines. The D. Day planners knew of these from aerial photos and timed the actual landings at half tide to try and help reveal them to the landing forces......
P1360492.JPG

I'll paint a small part of the invasion fleet in the background for any 'from the shore' view.
P1360490.JPG

I'll also be adding a basic water colour backdrop of the shoreline bluffs to this view.
P1360496.JPG

P1360487.JPG

Nearly time to add the diddy mesters.....and various other goings on. ;)

Cheers all and thanks for looking in....

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. What nice posts. :thumb2:

Sometimes it's good to leave a build alone for a while.....Then attack it afresh with new ideas.

With me, at least, it also takes a while to get 'In the groove', as I start with just the very basic idea and things just start to happen as the build progresses....

Once again, thanks for the encouraging posts.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've made a start positioning the figures.

I chopped the legs off a few to show the soldiers wading through a relatively shallow 'Draw'. I used the legs to show a couple of drowned. Not nice, but it has to be.

I'm trying to convey a sense of utter chaos, surprise and desperation once the ramps went down and the defenders went to work......

Early days yet, but it's a start.
P1360503.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Keep at it 570.......Matron will be around to take care of those that are "toes up".....she has a knack for that sort of thing. :thumb2: ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, Paul and Rick, thank you for your positive and complimentary posts.

All very well received. :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron