Double Dakota

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I'm gonna loiter around the back of the room ..(I'll be keeping an eye out for matron wearing her parachute)... I've always wanted to build a Dak but never got around to it...

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
More progress on the double build. The cockpit decals need modifying to fit correctly and not happy with how the crews sit, they are probably a generic pilot and come complete with parachute and this I think is the problem. I'll butcher there rear ends and re seat them. Managed to get the inside of one fuselage also painted before having to head to work.
Dak3.jpg

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Progress is continuing with the builds. Nemesis time, the dreaded seams. I started with mine first, both halves went together ok but whenever I lined up the top the bottom was out and vice versa. I spent ages trying to get the best fit. There also seemed to be a dip running both sides of the top seam, I just set off trying to sort it but decided to check aircraft 2 before getting too far. Unsurprisingly there it was again. I need to try and find a roof pic now while I continue the buttoning up.
92903300-BF66-477D-BDA7-63193C6D1F82.jpegFEC33FB3-BA7F-43D0-99AF-FDE46E799936.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
And all in braille scale :smiling: I think I'm going to need the next step up from my optivisor :smiling:
X1.8 works fine for me at 1/72..... On top of my expensive varifocals!!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not good Mick! Are these an older kit?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Damn that looks a bit much Mick, no doubt a twist in the body .Sure you'll sort it .
We're lucky enough to have the Dakota fly quite often around here as it goes home to its base. Looks really good when it does a fly by with the door open and a crew member standing in the door .

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Not good Mick! Are these an older kit?
Not sure Andrew, new style boxes but no idea, I’m sure one of our more learned members will know
Damn that looks a bit much Mick, no doubt a twist in the body .Sure you'll sort it .
We're lucky enough to have the Dakota fly quite often around here as it goes home to its base. Looks really good when it does a fly by with the door open and a crew member standing in the door .
I’m not giving in JR, I was spoilt a bit with the F-16

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not sure Andrew, new style boxes but no idea, I’m sure one of our more learned members will know

I’m not giving in JR, I was spoilt a bit with the F-16
Just checked....2014, so pretty new....odd.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
For such a new kit the seam problem shouldn't be as bad as that. You'll sort it, I'm sure, but a lot of filling and rescribing.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
For such a new kit the seam problem shouldn't be as bad as that. You'll sort it, I'm sure, but a lot of filling and rescribing.
The rescribing isn’ Straight forward either Jim as several of the panel lines that cross the roof don’t join up. I’ll chuck some undercoat on and see what it looks like

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Mick,
Seams are a pain mate. What filler are you using?
I have a mixture, Vallejo for open seams and Humbrol for jobs that need sanding, even got some Mr Surfacer. Just a pain that what’s bad on one isn’t on the other, the fight is on

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fight the good fight Mick. :smiling3:
Seams.... Hmmm, that's what put me off building planes all those years ago :sad: ..... Luckily mind,since my return to them recently,in 1/48, I've not really had an issue with them...
.... not much of a help to you.....
..... but it makes me feel better!! ;)
Good stuff though mate, you'll crack it and get a great result in the end I'm sure. :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I don’t remember this kit being naughty for me, having said that I sometimes stand at the top of the stairs wondering why I’m here.
Too late now, but I wonder if the left side of one would have fitted the right side of the other better.