Double Dakota

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just caught up to this Mick......I have a double interest in this build as I have a pair of 1-87 scale Dakotas in the stash. Both are different manufacture and it will be fun to see which one builds up the best. Yours on the other hand, appear to be giving you double trouble! I have every confidence that your efforts will pay off in the long run. :thumb2: :thumb2: Seated on the back row.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Well Mick,
Despite all of the woes, you've got them to this stage,and they're looking good to me. :smiling3:
Carry on mate, they'll look pretty good in the end I reckon! ;)
Cheers Andy, both will now cross the finishing line but especially my mates model. He told me earlier that the BBMF one is going into Far East colours after its current maintenance.
Cant comment on their newer stuff Ive only done a couple of old airfix kits and the lifeboat im on at the the moment has reminded me why i dont generally consider airfix when buying kits.
I've built a newer one the same as Andy and the defiant was a lovely build.
I'm sorry Mick as I thought I had posted a comment (insult) on these before. I do have to admit that taking a huge step down in scale has not affected your modeling skills at all Sir. I would imagine staring and working with such tiny parts for so long, would induce more naps at the bench though. It appears you have whipped these into pretty good shape and the end is in sight. Drive on my friend!!!...

Prost
Allen
Nice to have you visiting Allen. I must admit this scale is very taxing and frequent naps have been taken. Upwards and onwards avoiding the bin

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Just caught up to this Mick......I have a double interest in this build as I have a pair of 1-87 scale Dakotas in the stash. Both are different manufacture and it will be fun to see which one builds up the best. Yours on the other hand, appear to be giving you double trouble! I have every confidence that your efforts will pay off in the long run. :thumb2: :thumb2: Seated on the back row.
Thank you Rick, they always say paint hides a multitude of sins, throw in a load of filler too
Two nice models in the end - well done.
Cheers Jim, tunnel light back on

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
To you guys who regularly build in braille scale I have to take my hat off to you, and my scarf and gloves. While I wait for paint to harden off now I started on the additional bits in my mates box, namely the jeep, trailer and gun. Removing parts from the sprue I daren't breath. I've got this far with the little fella
jeep.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Why Mick, that thing is huge........I wouldn't need me extra eyeballs to work on one that LARGE! :nerd: I do understand though if you aren't used to working on something that small.......bit of a shock I would imagine.;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Mick, now thinking how I can use that cutter for "other uses ";)
I admire any one building at this scale, getting the parts off the sprue with out breaking it's self is an achievement. That jeep !!!! . At least the planes are actually together , well done for persevering.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Morning Mick, now thinking how I can use that cutter for "other uses ";)
I admire any one building at this scale, getting the parts off the sprue with out breaking it's self is an achievement. That jeep !!!! . At least the planes are actually together , well done for persevering.
Oh dear you're going to get creative :smiling: Thanks JR
These are new tool from 2014. Hence my confusion. I built one and it was quite a nice build. But that's not Mick's experience.
I didn't realise they were that new Colin, I had problems with the two fuselage halves not matching, I had to take plastic off the wing spars to close the wings up and none of the engine housings fit correctly. One thing I did notice was the lack of positive mounting parts for some bits, for example the parts on top of the engine cowlings, there was an indent where the first part went but it wasn't for locating it. All that aside it does look like a Dakota my pal is just happy its getting built :smiling:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I built this version without any problems, but it's the same mold. You have got recessed panel lines haven't you ? Its not an old kit in a new box ?? I think I'm clutching at straws here. Maybe the mold operator was having a seriously bad day.
1675449368382.png

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I built this version without any problems, but it's the same mold. You have got recessed panel lines haven't you ? Its not an old kit in a new box ?? I think I'm clutching at straws here. Maybe the mold operator was having a seriously bad day.
View attachment 473395
That's different to both boxes I'm building from and yes they both have the recessed panel lines. Just unlucky I guess :hungry: but final stages now

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
To you guys who regularly build in braille scale I have to take my hat off to you, and my scarf and gloves. While I wait for paint to harden off now I started on the additional bits in my mates box, namely the jeep, trailer and gun. Removing parts from the sprue I daren't breath. I've got this far with the little fella
View attachment 473342
Mick honest its not that small same scale as the decotas ,don't know why they call it braille no one calls 72nd aircraft braille still what was I going to say ?ah yes small parts and sprues ive found it much easier to remove part/ length of the spru with the piece still attached ,makes it much easier to see what your doing with the snips or on the cutting mat with a knife ,you can hold the part if you want when cutting with snips that way only the spru flies off across the room ,if on the matt a few gentle passes with the tip of a scaple blade as close to the part as is comfortable the piece usually just gently drops off or sort of droops down and off you'll see if you try it apart from that great work so far have enjoyed keeping up with it . Dave

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Mick honest its not that small same scale as the decotas ,don't know why they call it braille no one calls 72nd aircraft braille still what was I going to say ?ah yes small parts and sprues ive found it much easier to remove part/ length of the spru with the piece still attached ,makes it much easier to see what your doing with the snips or on the cutting mat with a knife ,you can hold the part if you want when cutting with snips that way only the spru flies off across the room ,if on the matt a few gentle passes with the tip of a scaple blade as close to the part as is comfortable the piece usually just gently drops off or sort of droops down and off you'll see if you try it apart from that great work so far have enjoyed keeping up with it . Dave
Thanks Dave, fortunately the only broken bits (one in each box) had already happened before I opened the bags. I have to admit I definitely prefer the sound of the sprue pinging off instead of the part :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just caught up with this one mick , they are putting up a fight arent they . Surprising for a ( relatively ) recently tooled kit , mind you I seem to remember a few years ago when Airfix were in the process of revitalising , they had a few quality control problems with toolings being moulded overseas ( India I think ) . Maybe these were from about that time ? BTW the ancient Dakota / AC47 from Airfix was covered in raised rivets as was the norm at the time ( 1975)!

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Just caught up with this one mick , they are putting up a fight arent they . Surprising for a ( relatively ) recently tooled kit , mind you I seem to remember a few years ago when Airfix were in the process of revitalising , they had a few quality control problems with toolings being moulded overseas ( India I think ) . Maybe these were from about that time ? BTW the ancient Dakota / AC47 from Airfix was covered in raised rivets as was the norm at the time ( 1975)!
Nearly there now Tony, upwards and onwards, I will master seams and stuff, one day............

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Progress has been made. Mine is now drying after it’s top coats and then more masking for the invasion stripes. My friends Dakota is ready for some light weathering. There are 70+ decals on here. The serial number on the model is actually in his dad’s log book which is certainly an added bonus.
6B54E735-7BD6-4022-A9AB-1C9B224E9872.jpeg866DDE98-FB57-47D7-9541-D0DD5620141C.jpegC194427C-BA20-49B2-81A2-26F33DB51751.jpeg
Don’t know what’s happened to my camera