Downed Bf 109E

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Academy's Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, this one is Heinz Bär but this is not going to be his aircraft, it's going to be a downed 109 in England and being guarded by the Home Guard.

The kit is in 1:48 scale so i can use some of the Tamiya figures i have in my stash. The model itself looks very nice but not much in the box so it would be great for the beginner, the decals are excellent too as the camo pattern are, well, decals.

Right, the photos of what you get in the box.

View attachment 12780View attachment 12781View attachment 12779View attachment 12777View attachment 12778

First job is the cockpit, as soon as that's done i'll post up. One last thing, i thought it was about time i did some construction, so here we go and it's not armour for a change.

Having fun, John

View attachment 21807

View attachment 21808

View attachment 21809

View attachment 21810

View attachment 21811

DSCF5490..jpg

DSCF5491..jpg

DSCF5489..jpg

DSCF5487..jpg

DSCF5488..jpg

D

dubster72

Go for it John! I'll watch your progress with interest as I have 2 aircraft kits daring me to take them on-truth is, I'm scared of ruining them!

Patrick

F

Fenlander

Be interesting to see those wing decals go on, never seen that before. Are you crashing it or forced landing? Love the idea.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, if you want a bit of inspiration, when I was last at the Duxford Museum there was a superb display of a downed Bf 109 guarded by a 'Tommie' in one of the hangers.

I know there are loads of pictures of this on Google images....

Might be of some help.

Ron

R

Richy C

Sounds great John , an aircraft dio excellent , will watch this with much interest.

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Patrick, i'll be watching with interest too matey lol. I'll just keep saying to myself "keep it clean".

Graham, it's going to be a forced crash (sorry bud, couldn't resist). I'm thinking about giving the wing decals go because i'd like to know how they go on.

Ron, it was Duxford Me 109 that gave me the idea, so you could say it's been a big help. After i posted this up i was doing some thinking, and if i can't find some "Dads Army" (sorry, Home Guard) i can still have it downed but with the pilot run away from a farmer with a pitchfork.

Looking forward to this build, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Sounds great John , an aircraft dio excellent , will watch this with much interest.Richy
Thanks Richy, you snook up on me mate didn't see you there lol. I'll see if a "tankie" can do it justice for you "fly boys".

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes, I remember that was a scene from 'The Battle of Britain' when the farmer ran up to the downed pilot armed with a pitch fork.....The pilot tried to explain that he was a Polish airman, but because his uniform looked German and he obviously spoke Polish, the farmer was having none of it!!!........Hands up, you're nicked, mate!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Did someone say Bf109? Here's a few piccies for inspiration.

The British made a crashed enemy aircraft report on every incident. Many describe a smoking hole in the ground and make rather gory assesments about how many crew were onboard. Some,for more intact aircraft, give a brief description seemingly designed to confuse us all today!

Here is an example,for Arno Zimmerman's machine above.

I don't believe that the colour on the fuselage side (RLM65) was on top of the wings where the lighter colour would have been RLM02 or possibly a mixed grey. I can't see a light enough colour in the photos either! Beware of non-expert eye witness accounts. Confused?...... all the time.

BTW I'm having a bit of trouble getting at my inbox so Paul who sent me a most charming message -- I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi john ,sounds great ,looking forward to it already. The academy kits are great, always fit fine and good level of detail AND always good value! Does the farmer scenario mean were going to see a return of the patent centurion ploughed field method!? cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Want to borrow a horse to be trying to pull it out the mud lol. I will tell you something, well two things actually. One, I never saw the Duxford downed 109, where is it????? Two, the picture with the soldier leaning over the engine, makes you realise just how small these things really were doesn't it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've sat in a Bf109 at the old Tami Miami museum in Florida and can say it is very,very small. I'm 5'9" tall and (with the seat down) the hood still felt like a helmet and I could easily stretch to touch it with the top of my head. How a tall man coped in there I don't know. Allied reports on German aircraft often refer to the cramped cockpits which were perceived as a disadvantage. Personally,being fairly broad shouldered ,I found it impossible to turn enough to see behind where I imagine most threats would materialise!

German assessments of allied aircraft (particularly U.S.) complain about the large cockpits and difficulty reaching various controls,this too perceived as a disadvantage. It just goes to show that people are generally more comfortable with what they are used to.

The Bf109 is the smallest of the great WW2 fighters and many Luftwaffe pilots felt that being small made them harder to hit.

Sorry for the diversion,looking forward to the dio.

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
You carry on Steve, it's nice to have some history thrown in, it makes it more interesting. Right, i've done some work on the cockpit today, it looks like i havn't but i have honest. Only just started and i've passed the point of no return as i have bent the prop for the crash.

This is a bit of a learning curve for me because i'm not using enamels, i thought i'd give Vallejo Acrylic's a go and i'm glad i did. Going to airbrush is too with Vallejo and see how i get on. Just need to get the seat finished, fitted and thats the cockpit done, i've checked the fuselage to see if the cockpit tub will fit after it's glued and it doe's.

View attachment 12808View attachment 12806View attachment 12810View attachment 12807View attachment 12809

I do think the patent Centurion ploughed field method Tony, got a nice book today (Battle of Britain) has a good photo of a 109 in a field. It is going to be the Home Guard in the dio.

Having fun, John

View attachment 21824

View attachment 21825

View attachment 21826

View attachment 21827

View attachment 21828

DSCF5493..jpg

DSCF5495..jpg

DSCF5492..jpg

DSCF5496..jpg

DSCF5494..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I forgot to add how i did the prop, sorry. Some of you may know this, in the photos you can see scent sticks. Just light one and use it to soften the plastic in a local area and away you go.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Does the scent help to mask that awful smell of burning plastic?

:smile:

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Want to borrow a horse to be trying to pull it out the mud lol. I will tell you something, well two things actually. One, I never saw the Duxford downed 109, where is it????? Two, the picture with the soldier leaning over the engine, makes you realise just how small these things really were doesn't it.
Graham, go to Google Images and type in:- crashed bf 109....The Duxford one is on page 1. It has a rather stiff Tommie guarding it.

R

Richy C

Looking good John , as for my spitfire being the one that shot your 109 down - If mine goes belly up then I could be doing a mirror image of what your doing - a bashed up spitfire with a German farmer chasing a RAF pilot LOL

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Does the scent help to mask that awful smell of burning plastic?:smile:

Gern
LOL, it doe's help if i go to far and it helps with the wife because she thinks you're being thoughtful. Win win, bonus.

John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Looking good John , as for my spitfire being the one that shot your 109 down - If mine goes belly up then I could be doing a mirror image of what your doing - a bashed up spitfire with a German farmer chasing a RAF pilot LOLRichy
Thanks Richy, now there's a fun idea but i hope it don't go belly up for you.

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just seen that the camouflage is decals. I have no problem with that,I just wonder why they did it. It is not a difficult camouflage scheme to mask and paint as it is all straight lines! The cockpit interior is supposed to be the same colour as the lighter of the two camo colours so that will need at least roughly matching.Luckily this colour varied quite a bit on the originals.

I too am interested to see how such large decals will go on.

Cheers

Steve