Downed Bf 109E

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi steve , great pics as always. The pic of the 109 being reassembled in barkers pool is doubly interesting for me , as judging by the corner of the city hall in the very left of the shot, the location is exactly where the sheffield branch of john lewis stands today, who i work for ! The albert hall you mention was the albert hall cinema which i think ,burnt down before the war. The last pic made me chuckle , note how everyone is taking notice of the do not touch sign!! theres even a bloke trying to nick the radio!! oh well you know what they say about yorkshire folk ,owt for nowt!! cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Great pics Steve, thanks matey. Some more work today but only on the base, the 109 will be in paint tomorrow (hopefully).

Recycling the polystyrene again, i used the scent sticks to melt the polystyrene for the crash. I mixed up some goo for the soil, the goo is PVA and model railway scatter. Once dry and painted looks very convincing, the grass is static grass from Citadel. It still needs work but can't do anything until the 109 is in place so, thats the next job.

View attachment 12998View attachment 12995View attachment 13001View attachment 13002View attachment 12996View attachment 12994View attachment 13000View attachment 12999

Having fun again, John

View attachment 21938

View attachment 21939

View attachment 21940

View attachment 21941

View attachment 21942

View attachment 21943

View attachment 21944

View attachment 21945

View attachment 21946

DSCF5520..jpg

DSCF5513..jpg

DSCF5515..jpg

DSCF5518..jpg

DSCF5512..jpg

DSCF5521..jpg

DSCF5522..jpg

DSCF5514..jpg

DSCF5516..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
:badcomputer1:Don't know how i got the Thumbnails in lol.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks extremely cool already! Looking forward to this.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Coming on very nice. I like the way you have left a space in front of the aircraft (gives a better feel of motion as the aircraft has 'somewhere to go'). That, combined with the diagonal layout, gives it a more dynamic feel. Rules of composition for Photography and art also apply to dioramas just as well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
coming along nicely john , looking forward to the next installment. cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Wish me luck, the airbrush is coming out. Now don't get me wrong, i have used a airbrush before (on armour), but not on aircraft.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Wish me luck, the airbrush is coming out. Now don't get me wrong, i have used a airbrush before (on armour), but not on aircraft.Have fun, John
Do me a favour John?

Can you keep the language down.........The present Mrs. Ron and I are trying to have a minute in the garden and all we can here is ********************!!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
No language Ron, all is well. I've even started to put the decals on.

Right lads, i have a new friend. His name is Mr Vallejo, this is the first time i've airbrush these paints and i'm impressed (can't wait to use 'um on a tank). Sprayed the lot in Hycote bumper primer first, then came the airbrush loaded with Vallejo's Pale Blue and took my time to get it just right. I love the way this stuff dry's so quick, it was onto the mottling (it's a 109 and needed to be done lol). I added some black to the pale blue and practiced on paper then on the model. Back to the pale blue for a light dusting all over. It was now time for some Revell Email Color clear so i could make a start on the decals.

I was a little scared of the camo decals but, i had a go and i'm happy how well they settled down with some Revell decal softer.

View attachment 21975

View attachment 21976

View attachment 21977

DSCF5525..jpg

DSCF5523..jpg

DSCF5524..jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
coming on great john, the decals for the camo look to be working well , keep up the good work, cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Very nice, as said before, this is going to make a really interesting scene.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks lads, the decals are on and looking good, they do need the decal softer though. I just wish i didn't crash the prop, as it looks great now and i don't what to muck it up. Oh well, tomorrow i'll give it clear matt to seal the decals in and start the weathering. The base still needs work, it needs soil in front of the 109 where it's thrown it up in the crash.

Will post photos up in the morning for you, have fun, John

D

dubster72

As the lads have said, this is coming together really well John. Those camo decals are working a treat! Nice work on the base too-could this be the start of something-aircraft+dioramas?! ;)

Patrick

R

Richy C

Looking good John , Not being an expert in decals I thought the size of yours might make it look like a toy ( no disrespect intended ) but you`ve pulled it of mate and it looks great , looking forward to see it finnished now

Great work

Richy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi John,

I still don't understand why the maker created those decals for what is a relatively simple colour scheme, but you've applied them beautifully! That's coming on a real treat.

I have a silly question for you though. You've not shown any damage to the aircraft that would have caused it to crash. Do you know why it did?

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Gern several enemy aircraft made crash landings for no apparent reason and this was noted in the crashed enemy aircraft reports of the time. When combat damage was present it was invariably noted. Many may simply have been caused by engines failing due either to mismanagement (surprisingly easy to do when you are worried about someone trying to kill you) or the stress of combat power. Centurion's has obviously suffered an engine failiure of some kind as the single unbent propeller blade would imply that the propeller was not turning under power when the landing was made.

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Steve, very nice reply for Gern. It was a engine failiure, i need to get the airbrush out for some staining and if you look closely at the cockpit you'll see that the pilot was injured. Over the next week i will be getting the 109 in the dirt so a lot more work to be done. And looking at it i don't think i'll have the room for the "Tilly" but, no problem on the Home Guard and RAF Personnel.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You're getting a bit good at this, John!

It's coming on a treat, and I think you are right re. the 'tilly' it might distract from the 109, but some personnel would (in my humble opinion) balance it out just nice.

Don't cry, I'm sure postie is on his way toot sweet!!

Keep trying to have fun while you wait....

Ron