Downed Bf 109E

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I've just seen that the camouflage is decals. I have no problem with that,I just wonder why they did it. It is not a difficult camouflage scheme to mask and paint as it is all straight lines! The cockpit interior is supposed to be the same colour as the lighter of the two camo colours so that will need at least roughly matching.Luckily this colour varied quite a bit on the originals.I too am interested to see how such large decals will go on.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve, it's probably aimed at the beginner so you don't have to paint it. I'm going to give it a go with the decals but if i don't like it then they'll come off.

Not to much to report on the build as i've been busy with non-modelling things, going to get a few hours in later.

Have fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi John,you may well be correct but I'll say this,as a beginner I reckon I'd find it easier to paint that scheme than apply such large decals LOL. I have done some models where,for example, squadron codes and roundels come as one large decal and I always seperate them into two or three smaller ones. I probably sound more sceptical than I intend as I really don't have any problem with the concept at all. As I said,it will be interesting to see how they go.

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

Hi john i will be watching this sounds like it's going to be good.

scott

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Hi John,you may well be correct but I'll say this,as a beginner I reckon I'd find it easier to paint that scheme than apply such large decals LOL. I have done some models where,for example, squadron codes and roundels come as one large decal and I always seperate them into two or three smaller ones. I probably sound more sceptical than I intend as I really don't have any problem with the concept at all. As I said,it will be interesting to see how they go.Cheers

Steve
You have a good point there Steve, if i was a beginner i'd be painting it too.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Hi john i will be watching this sounds like it's going to be good.scott
Thanks Scott, it will if i don't drop the cockpit tub again lol

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
The plane boss, the plane. Oh dear, flashbacks. Right, back to the real world. The cockpit tub is in so i don't drop it again, the wings are on. This is a beautiful kit as i have had on filling to do. Now then, in the photos you can see the start of a bloughed field but i've had an idea, i'll run it past you lot and see what you think. I would love to build the Austin Light Utility Car "Tilly" and have RAF personnel around the 109 for a bit more life in the dio?

Right, the photos. The prop is to see what it looks like, the flaps are down for a soft landing so to speak. Can't add any more as it such a nice model and the fit of parts are good.

View attachment 12838View attachment 12837

Still having fun, John

View attachment 21844

View attachment 21845

DSCF5498..jpg

DSCF5497..jpg

R

Richy C

Looking good John , Your idea sounds great , go for it - I would think thats what really happened with the RAF boys having a nose about seeing what there up against , I think you should still keep 1 or 2 of the home guard though ?

Keep those photos coming mate

Richy

D

dubster72

Is that ploughed field like Ron's idea of using corregated cardboard John? The Tilly would be good but perhaps would detract from the Me so I think a few figs would work best. I'd love to be quicker in my builds, I just seem to fart about, worrying I'll go horribly wrong!

Looking forward to see it painted.

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the RAF stuff would be great. I have a series of pictures (not on this computer but in a book at home) of an RAF team recovering Rolf Pingel's Bf109F-2 from a corn field near Dover. He was shot down on 10th July 1941 and made an excellent forced landing. It was the first intact F series Bf109 that the RAF had got their hands on and it was returned to flying condition for testing. During the tests it failed to pull out of a dive and crashed ,killing the pilot.

The letter below is a plea from Bader for information on the type and,more typically,a suggestion that someone like him (Wing Commanders Flying i.e. him) be allowed to fly it.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Is that ploughed field like Ron's idea of using corregated cardboard John? The Tilly would be good but perhaps would detract from the Me so I think a few figs would work best. I'd love to be quicker in my builds, I just seem to fart about, worrying I'll go horribly wrong!Looking forward to see it painted.

Patrick
Correction, it was me wot 'nicked' the corrugated cardboard idea from John, when he did his British on Patrol dio.

Tell 'im John! LOL

F

Fenlander

Looking good John. Have to say that the standard of dioramas on here has almost put me off, bit strong that, delayed me form having a go. Learning so much from watching you all though.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
The plane boss, the plane. Oh dear, flashbacks. Right, back to the real world. The cockpit tub is in so i don't drop it again, the wings are on. This is a beautiful kit as i have had on filling to do. Now then, in the photos you can see the start of a bloughed field but i've had an idea, i'll run it past you lot and see what you think. I would love to build the Austin Light Utility Car "Tilly" and have RAF personnel around the 109 for a bit more life in the dio?Right, the photos. The prop is to see what it looks like, the flaps are down for a soft landing so to speak. Can't add any more as it such a nice model and the fit of parts are good.

View attachment 12838View attachment 12837

Still having fun, John
How about this for a little add-on....I believe it was the custom to take a bit of the downed aircraft back to the Squadron mess, and as you are thinking of incorporating a vehicle, how about removing one of the tail planes and have it stuffed in the back of the truck?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The armed guard was to prevent precisely that! Typical and popular items that mysteriously appeared in RAF messes were skins showing swastikas or,easier to remove,fabric from the rudder showing kill markings. The odd spinner or propeller blade ended up on the wall as well. Cockpit instruments also seem to have mysteriously "walked". Entire rudders turn up today but I think many are of dubious provenance. Genuine artefacts change hands for considerable sums so fakery is not uncommon. There are quite a few pictures of abandoned Luftwaffe aircraft taken at the end of the war that have been pretty well stripped by passing allied units.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
The armed guard was to prevent precisely that! Typical and popular items that mysteriously appeared in RAF messes were skins showing swastikas or,easier to remove,fabric from the rudder showing kill markings. The odd spinner or propeller blade ended up on the wall as well. Cockpit instruments also seem to have mysteriously "walked". Entire rudders turn up today but I think many are of dubious provenance. Genuine artefacts change hands for considerable sums so fakery is not uncommon. There are quite a few pictures of abandoned Luftwaffe aircraft taken at the end of the war that have been pretty well stripped by passing allied units.Cheers

Steve
You could always have the 'Home Guard' being distracted with a fag, whilst the 'Trophy' is being secreted in the truck! lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Found a piccy of the recovery of Rolf Pingel's Bf109F-2 from a cornfield near Dover. Sadly can't see much of the recovery vehicles but I'm sure the experts in such things would have a good idea what they might have been. I wonder if the farmer was compensated for the flattened crop?

I reckon that they are already looking at the machine with an eye to getting it flying again.

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is great Steve cheers, keep 'um coming mate. A project for the future maybe.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks to be coming on great john, the academy kits are super arent they,always great fit and finish.The tilly idea sounds good to me ,i think tamiya do one in 1/48 but its in a combined boxing with a spitfire. looking forward to seeing which way this goes , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Same aircraft putback together though still with bent propeller blades. I think this is at the RAE (Farnborough). Shows just how bent those blades could be!

Piccies from Mombeek-Wadman-Pegg, Jagdwaffe, Vol. Two, Section 4. Battle of Britain, Phase Four, November 1940 - June 1941. Luftwaffe Colours series. Classic Publications Limited, 2001.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just thought i'd let you know had a few days off the 109, was in no mood as i've been to the dentist:sobbing: yesterday. I've made a start on the base that ended up in the bin, going to have another go tomorrow so hopefuly i'll have some photos for you.

Not having fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No hijack intended but I have a series of photos illustrating the life of a downed Bf109 which those of you from Yorkshire,particularly Sheffield may find of interest. Inspired by a couple of these pictures appearing on a thread elsewhere.

First a picture of "White 5" a Bf109E-4 of III/JG53,the famous Pik As (ace of spades) visible on the cowling during happier times in France:

Next the same aircraft after being forced to land at Vincent's farm near Manston aerodrome on 6/9/40.The pilot,Unteroffizier Hans-Georg Schulte,was taken prisoner. Here is an excerpt from the crashed enemy aircraft report:

"Markings 5+I in white. White cowling, spinner and rudder. Camouflage mottled light and dark green and grey. Thick red band around cowling painted out. Aircraft constructed by Erla, work nr.1506 dated 1940. Fitted with DB 601/A engine. Mercedes Benz work nr.62611. Cause of crash uncertain. One wing buckled, otherwise condition of aircraft fair. Standard armament and bulkhead together with pilot's head shield standard".

And photo:

Next being assembled at Barkers Pool,Sheffield. I'm not very familiar with Sheffield but this was near the site of the old Albert Hall....apparently. The swastika on the tail appears to be painted out. JG53 famously did this around this period as some kind of protest,noone really knows why though many theories exist. The most prevalent (Jewish wife) theory seems to have its origin in British documents....pinch of salt required! Of course the picture may just have been edited later,I dunno.

Finally the crowds are in:

I expect it was scrapped soon after!

Cheers

Steve