Downed Bf 109E

C

Cov1

That is impressive matey, the colours look great. I might have to invesigate them paints. Multi tasking planes and armour models now thats some talent mate, Im jealous.

:thumbsup:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Much appreciated lads, Ron i hope they turn up soon as i have some nice stuff in me stash that i'd like to get going.

Ade, it's the guys on here that doe's it mate. There i was, happy doing me armour when in come's Tony (Yak Face) with a Tank. You see, Tony builds beautiful aircraft and had a go at armour and did a great job too. So trust me, they'll get you doing it too but, it's all good fun matey. You could call us flying tankie's.

Have fun, John

N

noble

I have to say my friend iam impressed the decals have went on well and the paint job is well nice... oh and i really like the base is that polystyrene you've used? keep em comin.

scott

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Scott, and yes it is the good old polystyrene. We had a new flatpack table and there was lots of the stuff is the box, btw the wife thinks it's in the bin sshhhhhh!!!

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well fellas, i'm still waiting for the figures to turn up. I've been in touch with the online shop and they say they have been sent out. I think it's time to look in the spare box to see if i've got something that will do.

Sorry for the delay, John

F

Fenlander

It does look superb John. The way you have done the mud thrown onto the wings is very realistic. Such a commitment to to make a model so well then bend it and throw mud all over it. However, you have well demonstrated that this is what modelling is all about, making it look right and creative thinking. Great job and I agree that the Tilly would distract from the main subject. The figures will bind it together so be patient and wait for your chosen components to arrive or you may think you are 'second besting' it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, I agree totally with Graham...Keep the lid on the spares box, be patient my friend.

Don't go off half cock, cock!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Will do lads, i've come this far. But the next time i do a "Under Contruction" i'll get all the bits first lol.

Have fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ditto above. It looks great and I've just noticed the gory detail running from the cockpit sill.

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats really good. Really looks like the plane has had a forced landing and ground to a halt in the mud.

Looking forwards to seeing it with the figures. Well done John!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Right, i think this one has died. The postie turned up today with the box i was waiting for, the RAF Personnel. One problem, they sent me some Luftwaffe ground crew but, at least i can use them on the Fw190. I have added one Home Guard, i think it looks ok but we'll see lol.

Will post photos up tomorrow of the so called finished Bf109.

John

D

dr_g

\ said:
No hijack intended but I have a series of photos illustrating the life of a downed Bf109 which those of you from Yorkshire,particularly Sheffield may find of interest. Inspired by a couple of these pictures appearing on a thread elsewhere.First a picture of "White 5" a Bf109E-4 of III/JG53,the famous Pik As (ace of spades) visible on the cowling during happier times in France:

Next the same aircraft after being forced to land at Vincent's farm near Manston aerodrome on 6/9/40.The pilot,Unteroffizier Hans-Georg Schulte,was taken prisoner. Here is an excerpt from the crashed enemy aircraft report:

"Markings 5+I in white. White cowling, spinner and rudder. Camouflage mottled light and dark green and grey. Thick red band around cowling painted out. Aircraft constructed by Erla, work nr.1506 dated 1940. Fitted with DB 601/A engine. Mercedes Benz work nr.62611. Cause of crash uncertain. One wing buckled, otherwise condition of aircraft fair. Standard armament and bulkhead together with pilot's head shield standard".

And photo:

Next being assembled at Barkers Pool,Sheffield. I'm not very familiar with Sheffield but this was near the site of the old Albert Hall....apparently. The swastika on the tail appears to be painted out. JG53 famously did this around this period as some kind of protest,noone really knows why though many theories exist. The most prevalent (Jewish wife) theory seems to have its origin in British documents....pinch of salt required! Of course the picture may just have been edited later,I dunno.

Finally the crowds are in:

I expect it was scrapped soon after!

Cheers

Steve
Hello guys, this is my first post so be gentle!

Great work on the '109 diorama. I am currently building a model of "White 5", the "Sheffield Messerschmitt" I think the photos above will have come from my thread here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44278

The last one in the sequence was sourced by me via the Sheffield Forum, and had not been posted previously on the internet IFAIK. The history of the aircraft is within the thread, and some more info here if anyone's interested:

Asisbiz Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 of 7./JG53 flown by Uffz Hans-Georg 'H.G' Schulte. Schulte's 'White 5' of 7./JG53

It's correct that the aircraft was displayed on the site of today's John Lewis department store. When it was displayed during the war, my Dad went to see it and bought a stamp for the war effort! My Dad went to the Grammar school visible in the background to 'lifting' picture. Ironic that Sheffield was famous for cutlery, and "Messerschmitt" roughly translates as "knife maker"!

The obscured hakencreuz is not a photographic edit - JG-53 did indeed obscure them for a period, but after researching this further the specific dates are not clear.

Sorry for the minor thread hijack, but if anyone has any other info or images of White 5, who shot him down, or what happened to Schulte after the war, please let me know!

Cheers,

Dr_G