Dunkirk "vignettorama"

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Ok, i made the word up, but it sort of explaines what I am planning for this project.

A few years ago I made a diorama depicting troops getting into one of the 'little boats' of Dunkirk, and a couple of vignettes depicting troops returning from Dunkirk. For this project, which is going to take a while, i am planning 6 vignettes which depict different aspects of Dunkirk, each will probably only have 3 figures, and only be about 3 inches by 4 inches In size.

the six will be:

Rearguard - an MG behind a barricade of sandbags,
The Dunes - three figures sheltering in the sand dunes,
Little boat - a couple of soldier boarding a 'little ship"
Dover - the remake of one I have made, a couple of soldiers walking down the gangplank off a ship at Dover,
Train - Soldiers in a railway carriage waving through the open door window
Prisoners - a couple of captured British soldiers under a German guard.

i think that together these will represent most of the key aspects of Dunkirk and should look quite good when displayed together in a vingettorama.

The order to build them is not important but I think I will try to build them in the order listed above, roughly cronological So first off will be 'The rearguard".

Peter

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very cool idea Peter

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Wonderful idea, I'm going to follow along if you don't mind, that is. :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Makes me think of Floyd's "When the Tigers broke free"....a track that's always haunted me from when I first heard it all those years ago,as a lad about to leave school :smiling3:
Cracking idea Peter,I remember that previous Dio on "That other site",if that's anything to go by then we're in for a treat ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What a good idea. I'm sure you will pull it off perfectly. Like Andy I remember the dio you made before.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this….the boat dio was exceptional.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I am trying to avoid the temptation of spending all my time reading The War illustrated see latest aquisition thread) I have started on this project. first up making the bases. These are 10.5cm x 13cm and consist of a block of 9mm ply surrounded by some oak. The actual modelling area will be 8.5cm by 10cm.

D7C32603-1F57-4983-94FF-0F44C5E55ED4.jpeg

now back to working on the first - an MG position of sandbags alongside a brick wall.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

bMade some headway on the first base - the Rearguard - which will depict a British MG team behind a sandbag barracade.

i have included acouple of bits of furniture (chair and grandfather clock) to add interest to the side view.

6DD78548-7314-4A27-8F65-23084F96BC0B.jpeg2453B2AB-F8B9-4AFF-A008-9B03F10B39C7.jpeg01D8649E-F69A-4ABB-9963-2F1E0251B078.jpeg

tthere needs a little touching u and revarnishing the wood, but apart from those the baseis more or less finished - only the small matter of the figures to paint!

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
As Tim says it already has interest. Looking forward to the figures.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looks good, certainly looking forward to seeing the figures

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic idea Peter and I remember the little boat dio. This first one is looking good as it progresses. Grandfather clock is a nice touch.

Cheers,
Richard