Dunkirk "vignettorama"

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I’m so sorry Peter, I have to admit to glossing over the first posts in order to get to the cool photographs and missed your explanation.
The plan sound awesome and I l;ok forward to each of the 6 vignettes developing
No problem - I sometimes do the same!!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Finally finished another vignette - in the dunes.

i wasn'tthat happy with the figures I had so lost a bit of interest in thise one until I found some figures by Soga miniatures. Here is the reslt:

CBDBD5F3-AE9B-4EC3-A4EB-6B7F392BDF1B.jpeg1B84C369-3A03-4371-92BA-70872A802661.jpeg73CD403A-44FD-4480-84E9-AAA041A5F738.jpeg

I'm not overly pleased, I think I have over-painted the figures and lost some detail, especially the middle figure. The biggest compromise is that they are late war figures; I did a little back-dating but anybody who knows their British uniforms will easily see they are not quite right.

Petet

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I wouldn't worry about the figures been 100% accurate, too many rivet counters have fallen foul of the guys on here-even the talented modellers who make stuff as near as damn it are very forgiving to others works-reason, we build for us and how we want it.

Now, the vignette is superb, I think you have captured a snapshot of calm before more terror and uncertainty. The layout is spot on, simple, uncluttered and it focuses on the men. Personally, I think you have made a very good piece and it looks and displays very well, do not be hard on yourself Peter.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

i wasn'tthat happy with the figures I had so lost a bit of interest in thise one until I found some figures by Soga miniatures. Here is the reslt:

View attachment 483963View attachment 483964View attachment 483965

I'm not overly pleased, I think I have over-painted the figures and lost some detail, especially the middle figure. The biggest compromise is that they are late war figures; I did a little back-dating but anybody who knows their British uniforms will easily see they are not quite right.

Petet
Possibly Pete, but 'Rivet Counters' aside the figurines convey the right 'sense' of what you're successfully achieving - don't knock yourself out on miniscule details - only the Geeks will go into a flutter over the wrong pattern of pocket or moustache!
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can always claim it’s May 1945, soldiers resting in the North German dunes ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Peter, I tend to agree with the other opinions stated previously. So Tip 'O the Hat and well done! :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a very good piece of vignette work Peter. You're not entering a competition are you so bollocks to the rivet counters if they make a sound. Captures the sense of loss and exhaustion.

Cheers,
Wabble

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Having finished 'Rearguard' and 'Dunes' I jumped to the other end of the story with this station sceme. The basis is the Alice & Jonny by War Front kit. Since each of these vignettes will have 3 figures I added a second soldier in the train, and extended the platform so it is the same size as the other vignettes. This created a lot of empty space so a Plus Models cart and baggage came to the rescue.

strangly the inside of the carriage only had a seat on one side, so the other side was scratch built.

i found a copy of the front page of a 1940's newspaper, printed it to scale and used it to fill another bit of dead space.

45BACAE1-C95D-4F38-A09C-AACC6B81396E.jpeg445802B6-495D-4513-B04A-2115A2FF7A13.jpeg9F5EBD7D-DBE5-4454-9C77-7053171C748B.jpegCA99AEF8-B23D-4EFB-929D-653E44301FDA.jpeg

I am a lot happier with ths that "Dunes" - even if the fit of some of carriage roof was pretty poor.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Having finished 'Rearguard' and 'Dunes' I jumped to the other end of the story with this station sceme. The basis is the Alice & Jonny by War Front kit. Since each of these vignettes will have 3 figures I added a second soldier in the train, and extended the platform so it is the same size as the other vignettes. This created a lot of empty space so a Plus Models cart and baggage came to the rescue.

strangly the inside of the carriage only had a seat on one side, so the other side was scratch built.

i found a copy of the front page of a 1940's newspaper, printed it to scale and used it to fill another bit of dead space.

View attachment 485751View attachment 485752View attachment 485753View attachment 485754

I am a lot happier with ths that "Dunes" - even if the fit of some of carriage roof was pretty poor.

Peter
Nice one Peter….lucky boys though, they are sat in first class ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

View attachment 483963View attachment 483964View attachment 483965

Petet
Don't see why you shouldn't be pleased with this! You're right to say the poses are better than the original ones you chose. As for the uniform details - they look like British soldiers to me. I reckon only the most severe rivet counters will notice - or care about - the uniform differences.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Don't see why you shouldn't be pleased with this! You're right to say the poses are better than the original ones you chose. As for the uniform details - they look like British soldiers to me. I reckon only the most severe rivet counters will notice - or care about - the uniform differences.

Ooops! Double post!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Before banicaling my sub I added the finishing touches to this one. i was not happy with the version of this I posted photos of so I redid it and today (finally) added the last few details, so this is the , hopefully, final version of my Dunkirk - sand dunes vignette:

AEA617C3-C64E-4500-9C4C-40E86C044C31.jpeg52230232-2476-4273-B795-77222E34B33C.jpeg9348FD9D-4439-4E5A-8C32-8A3A8B0AC371.jpeg

It was a bit of a slog - remaking the vignette, but glad I did, even if it has put me off figures for a while!

three down, three to go.