First Name
Si
That’s a really nice job with the scheme Andy…..looks sweet :cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Considering all the trouble you had as the build went look at it now ! Fantastic, your painting skills Andy take this to another level .Nice, very nice.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the great feedback Jim, Si and John.

I had a crack at the canopy this afternoon. Literally.

I used the supplied masks but some were a bit too big. Whilst trimming them down I managed to put a split into the area near the rear gunner. I'll put that down to battle damage :smiling5:

1000005513.jpg

I then assembled the pieces carefully with TET and got the paint on. Fingers crossed the demarcation between the colours is at least close.

The rest of the plane got a coat of clear to seal the decals & washes. I used Mr Color GX-113 matt, but by applying it lightly and thinning it with Mr levelling thinner, it has a slight satin sheen which I prefer to a full matt.

1000005514.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the great feedback Jim, Si and John.

I had a crack at the canopy this afternoon. Literally.

I used the supplied masks but some were a bit too big. Whilst trimming them down I managed to put a split into the area near the rear gunner. I'll put that down to battle damage :smiling5:

View attachment 496228

I then assembled the pieces carefully with TET and got the paint on. Fingers crossed the demarcation between the colours is at least close.

The rest of the plane got a coat of clear to seal the decals & washes. I used Mr Color GX-113 matt, but by applying it lightly and thinning it with Mr levelling thinner, it has a slight satin sheen which I prefer to a full matt.

View attachment 496235
Blimey mate,that's some dedication!!.. superb stuff for sure,
I know you don't like this kit... But I'd be well chuffed with that!! :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t think you’re far wrong with that :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I've been following along in the background and irrespective of the problems you've encountered Andy. Tis turned out grand buddy. A credit to your determination and skill.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's looking brilliant already. Great work indeed.

Andrew

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again everyone.

Sorry for the late reply but I've been busy elsewhere. Because of that I haven't done a great deal but have made a start on the oil work. Just one colour for now so it will hopefully get more interesting as I add others:

1000005551.jpg

I've also painted the props & spinners.

1000005552.jpg

I'm still waiting for the exhausts to arrive. I wish everyone delivered as promptly as John!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Exhausts turned up. Nicely formed with just a touch of clean up needed.

I painted them in Mr Color burnt iron and will do a bit more work on them now they are in place. I did put a bit of black wash in the outlets then discovered while trying to clean my brush that my water pot had frozen solid :tears-of-joy:

1000005565.jpg

1000005566.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks excellent. Much better than the plastic parts.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks chaps. Progress has slowed a bit but I'm really happy with the look of it so far.

I think you need a heater in your shed Andy...
Pete
I have a couple in there but I can't justify heating it 24/7.

I'm more worried about my paints. Most are stored in insulated drawers but that will only help so much.

It might be the time to bring my water based ones into the house and just take them out as needed. A pain in the rear but could save a good few bob in the long run.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s what I’d do: take everything that may not stand the cold into the house, or at least some other room where it certainly won’t freeze. Paint isn’t going to freeze as soon as the temperature drops below zero, but it still will at some lower temperature, so to be safe it’s best to keep them somewhere above freezing.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work andy , its looking superb now . I know what you mean about the cold shed, my water froze too , but then I had bigger problems to sort ( see coming thread) cheers tony

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That’s what I’d do: take everything that may not stand the cold into the house, or at least some other room where it certainly won’t freeze. Paint isn’t going to freeze as soon as the temperature drops below zero, but it still will at some lower temperature, so to be safe it’s best to keep them somewhere above freezing.
Glad I read this. Just brought my paint indoors.
It is something that had never crossed my mind.
Glad the subject came up.
Cheers guys. :thumb2: