Engel U177 IX D2

S

solo

Well as i said in the chit chat thread my kit has arrived.

First impressions It's Huge where am I going to build it?:thinking:

It came well packed and has everything I need to start.including pitch and depth controller and T.A.E.S.

As a complete newbie this thread will probably be more about my disasters than triumphs but already I have had useful tips from Mankster and Screwloose. I will post pictures as I progress.

M

Mankster

Looks like Engel kits are taking over this part of the forum. Ahh... the best feeling is opening all the packaging and laying it all out, so you can apreciate what you get for your money. Don't forget to post pics of the contents!

S

subzero

I think you are right about Engel kits taking over,

I have the Engel Full Akula kit to build too !!

Says something about Engels products I think, QUALITY !!

Regards to all.

S

solo

All Parts Present and correct.

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

L

Lips McGee

I've been fascinated by these models since I got to this forum. I am thinking about expanding my horizons a bit... Where would I do more research and get more info on these Engel kits? Do they have a website?

S

subzero

sub web sites

Hi and welcome.

The engel web site is www.engel-modellbau.de

Be warned....... it can seriously damage your wallet !!!:grinball2:

I note you are in the USA,, have a look at The Sub Commitee web site

The Subcommitee.com

+

Also subpirates.com

Enjoy. :regards: Sub.

S

solo

Well as a newbie decided to build as per instruction booklet. Wartertight compartment lid is the first job.

Full stop here. Drill bits missing and Drill press not working. Quick trip to B&Q for several small tools,files and new drill press. In luck here picked up an end of line job for peanuts.

Decided to cut out some holes in the upperstructure but picked the wrong bit for the dremmel. The more i tried to fix the first holes the worse (and bigger they got) to ashamed to post picture (will post one when i fix the mess).

Back to the cover on the watertight compartment,followed instructions all went well.

Decide not able to widen the hole as the origional comes with a polycarbonate piece to stick the rubber seal too.

pic1.jpg

S

Screw Loose

Engels are breeding !

Seems these Engels are getting pretty popular these days !:grinball2:

Its such a good feling getting all the contents out of the box, but so addictive! Once you finish one bit you want to start on another !

If people are looking for information about Engels, just contact them on there website. You always get an answer from Gregor Engel. Who is extremely helpfull and precise. He has sent me a new Microswitch from Germany in 3 days, and helped with a translating job in the instructions.

And Solo, I wouldnt worry about a few mistakes with the holes or whatever on the boat. Amazing what you can do with a bit of filler and wet and dry :grinball2:

Hope all is going well with it, oh and I would try to keep that dust from the gel coat on the outside of the hull and the GRP from getting on your arms or exposed skin. Made me itch something terrible !:smile11:

S

solo

Thanks for the tip Screw Loose

Whilst waiting for the epoxy resin to harden an the wtc bolts decided to start on cutting out the conning tower (big piece to remove here),going well.

pic2.jpg

S

Screw Loose

Looks like a well finished hull. Think it looks beter than my Typhoon was when I got it !

Great fun isnt it, cutting all those holes out :smile11: Even better when you trail all the dust in the house and there are no end of complaints :grinball2:

S

solo

Fitting Prop,dive planes and protector. Lots of filling and shaping to do yet but it's getting there

pic4.jpg

S

solo

Spent this week sorting out stern linkages. With little room to get the throw on the rudder linkages had to improvise here.

pic11.JPG

Its not pretty but it works well and is strong.

Also tried several methods of mounting servo's and decide to epoxy nuts to the board. Again works well.

pic13.JPG

S

solo

Help.

I have 2 speed controllers and two motors how do i wire them for independent control. Do i just treat them as two singles on seperate channels. Any help here would be much appreciated as the instructions i have leave a lot to be desired. Also the ballast tanks,can i just fill or empty them the instructions say use a 4 position slider switch (dont have one) I have 6 channels 4 on stick 2 on switches.

Sorry if this seems basic to you all but as a newbie it has lost me.

Last edited:
S

subzero

Hello Solo, thanks for the build update.

You can do exactly as you have said, plug them in to 2 separate channels, BUT you can purchase a mixing unit which basically plugs into the channel for the speedo and then the rudder channel and you plug the 2 spedos into the mixer, so you will mix both speedos with the rudder and you only use 1 channel on the receiver for the 2 motors ...see ?. when you apply rudder when moving one motor speeds up the other slows to assist in the turn. When stationary one speeds up the other goes into reverse to assist the turn, all very clever and they are not dear to buy mine cost £15 its a MTRONIKS W tail mixer, what speedos have yo got ? MTRONIKS speedos fit directly into this mixer etc.

Hope this assists

:regards: Sub

M

Mankster

Hi Solo. If you purchaced the TAE Kit then you'll need one 3 position switch or one slider (or 1 stick with the the self return spring removed). If you got the TAES kit then you'll need a 4 position switch ( don't exisit AFAIK) or a slider (or one stick with the self return spring removed). Its not really recommended to use a stick to controll a ballast thank though, so I reccomend fitting a slider or upgrading your TX if its not possible to do with the kit you have.

Last edited:
S

Screw Loose

Hi Solo, as Mankster and Sub have said, I use a Mtroniks mixer with a Robbe handset. I was initially going to use just one speed control but Mankster said the turning circle was too large, so I mixed mine. For the piston tanks I am using a 3 way switch, with a neutral point in the middle. I did consider a slider but since the tanks are either on or off on mine and not proportional it wasnt worth it.

As they said, I turn the rudder left the starboard motor activates and vice versa. Seems to work pretty well.:thinking:

Paul

S

solo

Many thanks to you all for your replies i am digesting the info given to me.:respect1:

I have a futaba 6ex which I am told is not so good for submarines (cant replace it yet Wife thinks I have spent to much already).

I have two Viper marine 20 speed controllers. I believe I can mix channels on the reciever but not sure yet how to do this. I wired the dive tanks this evening and the only control I have is full open and full shut. Its a steep learning curve but with the help of this friendly board I am getting there

BUT you can purchase a mixing unit which basically plugs into the channel for the speedo and then the rudder channel and you plug the 2 spedos into the mixer, so you will mix both speedos with the rudder and you only use 1 channel on the receiver for the 2 motors ...see ?. when you apply rudder when moving one motor speeds up the other slows to assist in the turn.
Thank you sub this would seem a good solution for me