Foreart (Fore Hobby) Schnellboot S38

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well not quite sure what I've taken on here. It's Forearts latest, S38, but there's an awful lot of it. Seemed like a good idea after doing Revells S100. To give you an idea, the white sheet in the middle of the pile of sprues is the wire for the hand rails, you have to clean out the stantions with a 0.3mm drill.
Plus 5 sheets of PE and brass gun barrels.
think it could be a very long build.
20231003_192130.jpg

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ooooo, we like a good FAC. They make loverly targets!!!
Sorry I know I'm being thick here but FAC. Know it will be obvious when you say.

Fancy one of those, I'm watching.
Don't hold your breath that's all.
Have found that the two hull halves are the same as the S100. Got to trim down the sides where the walkway is at side of bridge.

Fancy one of those, I'm watching.
Modelsforsale.com, Dave Ward suggested them. Will let you know if I'm thanking Dave or cursing him in a few days. lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Don't hold your breath that's all.
Have found that the two hull halves are the same as the S100. Got to trim down the sides where the walkway is at side of bridge.
That's just sound engineering. Why make two tools when one can be used for both. From what I have seen, the Fore kits are well detailed.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Update.
Got the hull joined, will have some slight filling and sanding. Think it's me rather than the moulding. There's two bars going across as per pic, so as well as t20231004_193958.jpg20231004_193643.jpg20231004_193526.jpgaping the keel you've to put the deck in as spacer and tape the top.
Decided after a lot of cursing (Dave) to have a go at the bofors, even more cursing. Ian M said about the detail, below is a pic of the unfinished Bofors and the Revell kit.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Knew there was something else. Never used PE before. What do you use to glue it together. Hoping it's not soldered.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks a very comprehensive kit Andy. Just needs time and patience. Guns look good.
PE, brass photo etch, has it's own set of 'rules'. Firstly PE in a kit either replaces a plastic part or is added to the plastic parts. If it replaces a part you often have to cut away part of the plastic and replace it with PE. If it is an addition to the plastic it is just fixed in place. Often PE can be not worth using. Sometimes it's too small to be manageable, sometimes it is no better or even less good that the plastic part and sometimes it is simply wrong - grab handles are round not flat like a PE part for example. Clean the PE with a fibre glass pen or fine sanding. Cut from the fret using a semi hard surface like plastic or perspex with a curved blade with a rocking motion. Clean the nib that's left with a fine file. Bend as required - try to get the bending right first time as the brass can break if folded again. You can solder PE but usually it is stuck with CA glue, super glue.
Have fun :smiling:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looks a very comprehensive kit Andy. Just needs time and patience. Guns look good.
PE, brass photo etch, has it's own set of 'rules'. Firstly PE in a kit either replaces a plastic part or is added to the plastic parts. If it replaces a part you often have to cut away part of the plastic and replace it with PE. If it is an addition to the plastic it is just fixed in place. Often PE can be not worth using. Sometimes it's too small to be manageable, sometimes it is no better or even less good that the plastic part and sometimes it is simply wrong - grab handles are round not flat like a PE part for example. Clean the PE with a fibre glass pen or fine sanding. Cut from the fret using a semi hard surface like plastic or perspex with a curved blade with a rocking motion. Clean the nib that's left with a fine file. Bend as required - try to get the bending right first time as the brass can break if folded again. You can solder PE but usually it is stuck with CA glue, super glue.
Have fun :smiling:
Thanks for that Jim. More or less come to same conclusion, not worth using...
Obviously using the brass barrels. When I come to the hatches, will have to see what I can sort as they are either PE or clear plastic and there's 21 of the little buggers.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
PE ain't that bad. You just need to start with something you can see. That Bofors looks rather good.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
PE ain't that bad. You just need to start with something you can see. That Bofors looks rather good.
There are some parts which are only PE so will have to use them. Had to buy a magnifying headset to see where I'm glueing parts.
Yep, the bofors does look pretty good (think I've done it justice) 25 parts for gun and controls...

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well finished the guns, taken me nearly a week, though have also been having a go with the PE. Got to be honest and say it's not going very quickly. Had a nasty day as decided to make up the torpedo tubes, clipped off two top haves and a bottom, went to clip off second bottom, GONE... emptied the bin twice, box 3 times. Had to open the sealed bag as not used that spru. Laminate floor so not carpet monster. Anyway last model is now missing a torpedo tube, some filling here, filling there.20231007_172808.jpg

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Quick update.
Have spent the last few days bending PE. I know what I said, but thought would give it a try. There's a limit to how long I can spend peering through a magnifying head set.
Did some airbrushing this AM just to lighten the dark grey of the plastic however on the foredeck there's like circle's around some of holes, only happened on foredeck. Any one any ideas.20231011_152645.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Fine progress Andy. Don't worry about being slow. Rushing only leads to mistakes and disappointment.
Those marks in the foredeck paint are odd. No idea really what could be the cause. If I had to guess I'd say some sort of contamination in those areas, maybe some mould release agent. Hopefully someone may have a definitive and helpful answer.