Foreart (Fore Hobby) Schnellboot S38

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I would certainly recommend if any one wanted to build the Italeri but it's too big. From what I've seen of photos this has as much detail, is half the size and cost. Oh yer and there's enough PE
This is certainly plenty big enough and the detail looks superb. Fine job you've done.
I reckon Ian is right. Restrict the weathering to subtle streaking on the hull and a bit of wear and tear in high traffic areas of the deck.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ian M
Jim R
Yep that's exactly what I mean about the weathering. Whilst I would never say anything to any one I do feel some go overboard (pun intended). Though kettle calling pan, my S100 was probably on its way to the scrap yard.
Getting closer to the hand rails, which are threaded with 0.1mm wire. OMG.
Have found photo evidence for things like the anchor position and the way the doors open on the torpedo aiming deck.
Have found another photo and to me it looks like the torpedo loading sleds are inedible with timber.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well apart from the weathering it's now complete... So please be gentle with me. lol. I left the torpedoes off as I have a diorama in mind.
20231104_142523.jpg20231104_142231.jpg20231104_142215.jpg20231104_142156.jpg20231104_142136.jpg20231104_130327.jpg20231104_142048.jpg

Now there is a big issue with this model and unfortunately I didn't find it till I'd finished. The instructions have you put 2, two binicles on. One infront of the inflatable and one behind. I missed it and didn't check the ref photos. Of course there should only be ONE behind the inflatable. Because I'd finished had to take the easy way out and remove the one that would cause least damage.
Screenshot_20231104_145641_Gallery.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
On my 1/35 from Italeri, they place the binnacle in front of the life raft, so according to them you are right.
If I may, i think that the anker was on a rope, maybe a meter of chain at the heavy end to protect against rocks cutting the rope but rope the rest of the way.
A brilliant build though and look forward to the diorama.

I see the Italians have just reissued their big one with an option to do either a 28 or a 38.... Hmm

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice model and shouldn't have mentioned it, I think no one would have noticed the binnacles problem. :thumb2:
Looking forward to the diorama :thumb2:
I think what p***ed me off most was not seeing it during building. The forward position of the binnacle is for the S100. The wood decking is also different on the S38 forward of the inflatable.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
On my 1/35 from Italeri, they place the binnacle in front of the life raft, so according to them you are right.
If I may, i think that the anker was on a rope, maybe a meter of chain at the heavy end to protect against rocks cutting the rope but rope the rest of the way.
A brilliant build though and look forward to the diorama.

I see the Italians have just reissued their big one with an option to do either a 28 or a 38.... Hmm
Yes on the ww2 photos I've been using for ref the binnacle is in front of the inflatable on the S100, however on the S38 it's behind. I think as far as the chain is concerned, as war went on the chain was replaced with rope to conserve steel. Again to be correct I should have built a capstan for thr chain. Scratch building not my forte.
Will try and add a photo of the binnacle position.Screenshot_20231104_154358_Pinterest.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thats a very impressive build Andy. Tiddly as my uncle used to say. Ex UK gunboat crew in 1944-5.
Having been on board a modern German FAC, (148 class, Exocet boat). The only thing I noticed on her was a few spots of the inevitable rust streaks and a naughty Exocet box full of booze. So my German pilot informed me it was social and domestic use!!! Prost!

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thats a very impressive build Andy. Tiddly as my uncle used to say. Ex UK gunboat crew in 1944-5.
Having been on board a modern German FAC, (148 class, Exocet boat). The only thing I noticed on her was a few spots of the inevitable rust streaks and a naughty Exocet box full of booze. So my German pilot informed me it was social and domestic use!!! Prost!
Well yes, why waste the space and put exocet missiles in when you can have booze instead, always throw the empties... lol. As you say though, its a few rust streaks in the right places and some foot traffic wear and tear. My contacts were Luftwaffe, sadly no longer with us.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I think what p***ed me off most was not seeing it during building. The forward position of the binnacle is for the S100. The wood decking is also different on the S38 forward of the inflatable.
HI Andy you outa be im my postion with my tiger then you can say you are well an truly peed off lol but your model is an looks fab i cant really see what you are complain about an if you had not said about the binkle none of would have been any the wizer
chrisb

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The S-boats had wooden planking over composite frame hulls, so make sure thaat there is something that will rust, before applying streaks!
Dave
Ah Mr Ward, you've stuck your head above the parapet. THANKYOU. A lot of cursing but on the whole an enjoyable build, apart from the binnacle.
As you say rust in the right place... and a general wear and tear.
Andy

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ibt
HI Andy you outa be im my postion with my tiger then you can say you are well an truly peed off lol but your model is an looks fab i cant really see what you are complain about an if you had not said about the binkle none of would have been any the wizer
chrisb
I take it your tigger doesn't want to play nice.
Youre not the first Chris to say no one would of noticed. From what Ian said Italeri have done the same. OK save some money put it in the same place. But would it be so difficult to add a bit more correct decking.
I know I'm going on, but it should be right.