Geoffers Arma Hobby 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello Chaps,

Firstly thanks to Karl and Andy for hosting this group build, here’s my entry.

IMG_3010.jpeg

I’ve been looking forward to the gb starting to get this on the bench. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Arma Hobby kits so hopefully it will be a nice build.

Disappointingly it comes in a rather flimsy, open ending box but it’s the contents that count so here is what you get.

IMG_3013.jpeg
One frame of grey parts.
IMG_3014.jpeg
One frame of very thin clear parts.

IMG_3015.jpeg
IMG_3016.jpeg
A detailed instruction sheet, which includes templates for canopy masks :smiling3:

IMG_3017.jpeg
Kit decals, they look very nice but I won’t be using most of them as I have some more appropriate Soviet ones in the spares box.

IMG_3019.jpeg
These in fact.

Another nice touch is a small colour plate on the reverse of the instructions.
IMG_3018.jpeg
I may well frame this :smiling4:

So that’s the kit, as I said the markings are leftovers from a Zvezda kit I built a while ago. They are for this aircraft.

IMG_2884.jpeg

I’ll hopefully be starting the build tomorrow. It will be a pretty much out of the box build with the possible addition of some seat harnesses, however I use try the kit transfer option.

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm in for this. You don't see that many Arma Hobby kits built. I always think the Hurricane is seen as the poor relation of the iconic Spitfire - very unfairly! A Russian version makes it even more interesting and unusual. The kit looks straightforward and clean.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I'm in for this. You don't see that many Arma Hobby kits built. I always think the Hurricane is seen as the poor relation of the iconic Spitfire - very unfairly! A Russian version makes it even more interesting and unusual. The kit looks straightforward and clean.

Cheers Jim :thumb2:

The Russians weren’t too keen on the Hurricane but I’ll touch on that a bit more during the build.

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm in for this one as well,1/72 is too small for me though!:flushed:
A Hurricane is sadly lacking from my stash currently, something which I'm looking to fix asap ;).
As Jim said,the Russian angle of this one will make for an interesting subject Geoff:thumb2:,I look forward to seeing it progress.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice choice Geoff.

I too have heard nothing but good things about Arma. I have one of their early P-51s in the stash along with an Eduard ProfiPACK reboxing of their Mk. I Hurricane.

ATB

Andrew

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I'm in for this one as well,1/72 is too small for me though!:flushed:
A Hurricane is sadly lacking from my stash currently, something which I'm looking to fix asap ;).
As Jim said,the Russian angle of this one will make for an interesting subject Geoff:thumb2:,I look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers Andy :thumb2:

Arma Hobby’s 1/48 Hurricane Mk.II looks a very nice kit if 1/72 is too small.

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

As I said in my previous post I’d add a bit of historical information regarding the Hurricanes use in the Soviet Union.
Over 3000 Hurricanes were used by the Soviets despite other Allied types being preferred.

I’ve included the following link below which gives a more detailed account.

The build.

I spent about an hour or so yesterday cutting plastic and cleaning parts.

Actually there is very little clean up required as it is very well moulded. A tiny bit of flash around the prop blades being the only thing of any note.

I have drilled out the gun barrels and exhaust pipes and also cut out the spent shell ejector holes.

I’ve test fitted the main parts and the fit is excellent.

IMG_3029.jpeg

One point of note is how good the cockpit fit is with pins and proper fixing points provided which is a welcome change to the often vague cockpit fit from other manufacturers.
IMG_3030.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg

All ready for paint now, I’ve just got to decide on the interior colour next but that’s a story for the next post :thinking:

Geoff

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Cracking start Geoff.

Cheers Ian :smiling4:

A bit of progress to report.

Firstly the cockpit was painted up with AK real Color RC293 RAF cockpit grey/green.

There is a decal for a side panel in the cockpit and also two decals for the instrument panel which were added once the up had been painted black and it had been given time to dry. They snuggled down nicely with a bit of Ultimate setting solution.
I’ve also added some Kits world 3d Sutton seat harnesses.

IMG_3063.jpeg
IMG_3064.jpeg
IMG_3065.jpeg
IMG_3066.jpeg
I’m very impressed with the instrument panel decals, it certainly looks more realistic than a lot of manufacturers efforts (I’m looking at you Airfix :tears-of-joy:).

As I indicated earlier the fixing points for the various cockpit components are very positive so it all went together smoothly.

Unfortunately a lot of the cockpit detail isn’t visible once it is all buttoned up :disappointed2:

Speaking of which, the two fuselage halves are joined together in the usual way before it all slots over the wings.

IMG_3067.jpeg
IMG_3068.jpeg

It’s a very good fit, just a tiny bit of cleaning up needed were the cement has melted the plastic around the seams.

Another update soon, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Geoff!!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
It’s all BLACK!!

IMG_3069.jpeg
IMG_3070.jpeg
IMG_3071.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg

For anyone unfamiliar with the Fast Show ;)

There were one or two tiny areas of clean up /seam work needed but the fit overall has been excellent.

Mr Surfacer 1500 was my primer of choice.

Camo colours next once it’s dried off properly :smiling4:

Geoff.

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely work geoff , very nice reference for when I do mine . It looks a superb kit in the box and the proof of the quality is showing in your build , great stuff cheers tony

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Very nice, suits you sir!
Suit you too Sir :tears-of-joy:

Thanks Ritchie.

Lovely work geoff , very nice reference for when I do mine . It looks a superb kit in the box and the proof of the quality is showing in your build , great stuff cheers tony
Geoff, as you are finding out, this kit is top quality.

The one I built on here a while back was a joy to put together too....
Thanks Chaps, it’s a lovely little kit :thumb2:

Unusual to find such a well detailed kit that goes together so well :smiling4:

Geoff.