Hasegawa 1/32 Fiesler Fi -1B Storch Gran Sasso

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Andy I've just tried a dry fit in the fuselage and there's not much to see apart from 3 cylinders each side but it's still worth putting the work in. So maybe one side open the other closed.
That'll be nice! You keep hiding all these wonderful engines you do behind cowlings and panels. We never get to see them on the finished 'planes.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work so far Vaughan, a great subject especially if you do the Gran Sasso version, a fascinating story, cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent work, great details. This is growing very well.

Looking for progresses.

Francesco

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Tony and Francesco

I've been quietly working on this one over the last week and here's where I'm up to.

The seats are complete with the addition of some scratch built seat belts from tamiya Tape and wire. They are both attached to the floor pan as is the joystick and the foot plates, they too have toe straps made from Tamiya tape. The back wall has been added and spare magazines for the rear facing machine-gun. I've also added the finishing touches to the fuselage sidewalls.

Next up will be to attach the internal framework.

View attachment 73588

View attachment 73589

View attachment 73590

132111_0490.jpg

132111_0491.jpg

132111_0494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Richard
Nice details Vaughan,

I really enjoy watching these pictures and this build.

Cheers Richi

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
P

Polux

I must say is a very interesting build!

With and excellent work too! ;)

Cheers

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just found this Vaughan, great work so far, the engine looks the biz, I'll follow this with great interest.

Tony.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Loving this build Vaughan. This aircraft is such an icon for me and I have fond memories of building this as a kid (in smaller scales). The build itself is up to your usual high standards and I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress. It's a lot of glass but that's what makes this aircraft - great stuff.

ATB

Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good Vaughan. It also looks like you've got to fight that large area of glass a bit :smiling3:

I've never seen those clamps before and they look pretty good, assuming you can get decent pressure with them. I tend to use those ratchet jobbies from Wicks or similar, but I'd be interested in those which you have used. Do they have a name/manufacturer ?

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve they are Berna Clamps (invented by a frenchman a Dr. Philippe Berna would you believe). I bought them from Modelezone shortly before they closed down when tools and paints were 1/2 price so they only cost a fiver. This is the first time I've used them and they're quite effective. The jaws are made of a soft plastic and the rod is carbon fibre. Depending on how hard you squeeze the jaws directly relates to how hard they grip. You can get them on eBay or Amazon for a reasonable price. Here's the link for Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was going to ask about those as well. In the link you sent I see Amazon get them from Creative Models, who if I am not mistook is one of Johns suppliers for the Scale Model Shop...

maybe if we pester the life out of him he can get them in stock as well. (and probably cheaper than Amazon too).

Having just bought one of these kits, I am paying good attention to your build. Looks like it builds well. Any problem areas to be careful about?

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice and clean construction Vaughan, this is turning out to be a great build. Those clamps got my attention too.