Heller's 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

As for the scabbing, I do that (this only works with enamel paints) and I recommend great care DO NOT GET THIS ANYWHERE NEAR BODY WORK PAINT JOBS I get a tiny bit of cellulose thinners on the brush a dab where I want the scabbing, do this very sparingly and build it up gradually allow the paint to set then if you want deeper scabbing go over it again you can do this upto 4 times after which I've found the paint will start showing the plastic colour underneath (THIS METHOD WILL EAT INTO THE PLASTIC) so you have been warned. I use dirty thinners as it gives that staining round the scabbing you see on rusty things, I have in the past (not on this as I don't want it that rusty) put dabs of pva before I paint the item which gives a raised part to begin with and if you want really heavily rusted you can add more dabs of pva over the first one but make sure it's smaller and irregular.

First Name
Marc
Celulose paint is very agressive on plastic parts i agree. In actual fact when doing the 300sl the paint softened the body enough for the center join from the moulding process to pop away and separate fortunately it was just under the scuttle panel and i was able to repair it with poly rod.

View attachment 123664

View attachment 123665

20151101_090620-1.jpg

20151101_090638-1.jpg

First Name
Marc
Thanks Ken. Was lucky where the location was. Was going to sand it back refill and paint the area, but realised the grille kind of hid the crack and was better and neater just to bring them back together and fix from underneath. Was also going to fill and make smooth underneath but it's kind of cool to see the repair naked and adds to the story of the model.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Great work Ken, slowly but surely this starting to come together.

First Name
Marc
Flip me thats amazing..some good work. Wow i love this forum

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is a chuffing monster Ken!

First Name
Dave
Don't get me wrong but it looks a bit like a leather backed beetle at certain angles, but by god is this looking good or what. Up against your GT500 that Citroën is bleeding ooooooooooooge!!!!!!!

What colour is the bodywork going to be Ken?, just need to know so that we can all get a chance to stock up on paint, when you do the body I'm sure there's going to be a paint shortage! :smiling3:

Absolutely loving the work you are doing, you are a sheer master of our craft.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks mate, don't know about master but I'm trying, I was going bleu irise (which is a course metallic and this car was avaliable in 1939 in this colour) but can't get it so it will either be bleu marine bleu plus clair whatever that is

First Name
Marc
If you e-mail zero paints with your colour code they will colour match and mix it up for you

First Name
Dave
Ken, apparently bleu plus clair is a lighter blue, lighter than light blue which is lighter than dark blue...............

Bleu foncé = Dark blue

Bleu clair = light blue

Bleu plus clair = lighter blue (very light blue)

It seems that bleu plus clair is a very similar colour to that worn on the undersides of WW2 luftwaffe aircraft. To me it's more akin to the pale blue worn by the prototype Spitfire which was a Rolls Royce colour by all accounts.

G

Graham D

I've just caught this thread, You've done an excellent job so far. I just downloaded the instructions. I can see what you mean about them being confusing and slightly intimidating

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I've emailed Citroen UK and they were very helpful and said they are excited at the idea of the build and though they don't have the colour info they have sent my request to Citroen France research and will get either the colour codes or the paint in need. Great customer service, we don't even drive a Citroen now, we have a fiesta,

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well here's tonight's bit, that steering rack was a real pain the ball joints are supposed to push through and be an interferance fit but I had us a dremell tool by hand to gradually open it up enough to get the ball joint through without it just falling back out again, very sloooow gentle work with lots of checking to make sure the ball joint didn't just fall through. got to paint it and weather it now, would have painted it first but it is a tight fit and wasn't sure it would slide through the shaft after it was painted will now use very thinned down paint and hopefully if I keep moving it as the paint dries it will remain working.View attachment 124089

View attachment 124090

View attachment 124091

View attachment 124092

View attachment 124093

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG