HK Models 1/32 scale D. H. Mosquito

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Vaughan,

Well if it is it has been very carefully molded!!!

It is actually some of the exceptionally fine surface detail on the kit.  There was actually a very fine mold seam running down the centre of it and removing the seam had to be done with considerable care to ensure that I also did not remove this detail.  I believe it is representing something that they ran down a join where two plywood sheets butted against each other.  This detail appears in other places.

here is a close up photo that shows the detail:

IMG_1438.jpg

The surface engraving on this kit is unrivalled, simply exquisite, as good or even better than Tamiya have achieved.

Anyway - I did not manage to finish the masking last night and will need to finish it tonight but I did manage to get the trickier masking done with various widths of Tammy tape including some of their curved tape.  I also used some shaped Maskatar masking for the curved section at the rear to get clean curves it does not show on the photo below because it is a transparent grey and all you can really see is the Tammy tape around it.

IMG_1437.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Ah...... that throws a different light on it. I can see that it's ment to be there in your close up photo. Looking forward to the final stages. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here she is, all dressed up for a base coat of RAF Ocean Grey. 

image.jpeg

i am using AKI Air Series for the main base coats supplemented by Vallejo Model Air.  I find they spray beautifully, even better than Vallejo MA. 

I spray in a series of light coats at about 20psi neat unthinned with a .4 needle. 

Here she is after the first pass with the airbrush 

image.jpeg

then after the second pass

image.jpeg

then the third pass

image.jpeg

but it's still not finished. I have decided not preshade as you can see and just rely on post shading.  So I mixed the base colour with 25% white and thinned it about 25%. I then sprayed into the middle  of panels and along areas that would catch the sun. I spayed at about 10 psi  

This is how it then looked

image.jpeg

As you can see the colour is now well modulated but it needs one more touch to get the effect I want.  After cleaning the airbrush I mix the base colour about 25% to 75% thinner and then do a mist coat at about 30 psi to knock back the contrast and get the more subtle modulated effect I want. 

As you can see below the mist coat helps blend the base colour while improving the overall effect  

image.jpeg

the process is very controllable and foolproof   

Tomorrow after leaving it 24 hours to cure I will give it a very light sanding and wipe it down with a damp cloth before masking up for RAF Dark Green   I will mask it with this below  

image.jpeg

this is the part of the build I really enjoy  

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looking at the pics on the big screen in the office the Ocean Grey look washed out and far too light - it really is Ocean Grey and is a darker in real life.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking Good.  I will have to try your approach to the black.

B

Builder

Coming along nicely there Barry mate. Interested to see the clever putty being used to do the camo. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
RAF Green done..

the masking material is excellent it sinks into the detail and stops any bleed. Very easy to manipulate as well

image.jpeg

here is the aircraft just before the mist coat. 

image.jpeg

the masking material does not stickimage.jpeg

and just lifts away. 

I spent just seconds removing the mask after painting 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

there is no bleed and it looks spot on, any imperfections you see in the photo is on the mask protecting the black sides   

I will give the paint 24 hours to cure before removing most of the remaining masking material  

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
First some pics with the masking removed except for the u/c and transparencies 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i have just finished two gloss costs with Alvlad Aqua Gloss to prepare for decalling 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i I will leave it to cure and start decalling tomorrow. 

Below are my best friends for decals. A cup warmer and decal solutions.  Keeping the water warm helps speed up the process for which the cup warmer was a real breakthrough  

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Barry, coming along very nicely indeed. Cup warmer = fantastic idea.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry where do you get the Clever Putty from, how much does it cost and can you re-use it? 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Vaughan.  I just Googled for it and I cannot remember where I got it from.  I got two tins in all and yes it is reusable.  This is the second time I have used it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Barry where do you get the Clever Putty from, how much does it cost and can you re-use it? 

Seen it in e-bay. Price from 4,95 right up to 7,50 per tin! Plus post!  It is also sold as a recovery aid so I am sure it can be found cheaper...

I remember when we had silly putty. I guess it got the smarts...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice Barry.
You are going to need a bigger turn table when you start the Lancaster..... :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It's not only the turntable that would need to be bigger Ian!!

anyway. I have got decals on and I have done three coats of decal softener. The decals went down well but did take a lot of solution to soften them. 

Tomorrow we will see how they look and whether they need more treatment. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I will hopefully be able to apply a sealing gloss coat tomorrow. 

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking great so far Barry, waiting the end with anticipation.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Dave

Progress will be frustratingly slow this week as I have some evening meetings.  Soooo close to the end.  Four, maybe five more sessions should do it.

K

Kressy_13

The paint looks great mate. Nice work. Really coming together well. Sure is big though. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
As mentioned I have not had a lot of time to progress the Mossie this week but I have grabbed half an hour here and there to apply a pin wash and then, going over the model in small sections, remove the surplus with cotton buds dipped in white spirit.  It is important to wipe in the direction of the air flow to finish off.  I want to go over it once more but here is how it looks now. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I used the AKI panel line washes, the ones specially for black on the sides and undersides and the one for green/grey camo on top. 

Tonight once I have checked it over I will do a single thin coat of matt varnish to prepare the surface for the next stage of weathering that is best with a matt or slightly matt surface.  Tomorrow I will be able to get on with some wear and chipping.  I have established what parts of the airframe are wood and what is metal to make sure I can get the appropriate treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: