Il-2M3 Shturmovik (Tamiya, 1:72)

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Hi everyone!

Workbench is cleaned up, the modelling fluid prepared and I'm off to build a new kit.

1workbench-1.jpg

Believe it or not, this is my first Tamiya kit I'm gonna build in around 40 years since I am in this hobby.

And guess what - from all the praise I've heard of this iconic Japanese manufacturer, for my first ever kit, I ended up with a short shot example!
The rear gunners bulkhead is severely misshapen and the fuel tank is also short, though I don't care about the later as the bottom won't be seen when installed.
IMG_20220723_202532_hdr~2.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's unusual for Tamiya. Quality controls day off! Maybe Tamiya can send replacements. I'm not sure how good their customer service is.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
That's unusual for Tamiya. Quality controls day off! Maybe Tamiya can send replacements. I'm not sure how good their customer service is.
Yeah maybe bad luck, but I'll try to recreate that bulkhead from sheet styrene... I am fortunate it's such a simple piece and not something more complex.
Not holding any grudge against Tamiya, hey it can happen to the best, but I find it ironic, that the only kit that I plan to build, has this shortcoming
:D

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Seb,
at least the short shots look like they're on flat parts, so easier to fabricate............... This sort of thing makes you hurriedly look at all the other parts, to make sure that nothing else has gone awry!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great to see you back seb , nice choice , hopefully nothing else on the kit is short shot , cheers tony

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Seb,
at least the short shots look like they're on flat parts, so easier to fabricate............... This sort of thing makes you hurriedly look at all the other parts, to make sure that nothing else has gone awry!
Dave
Yeah, that is a fortunate thing and that is the reason why I won't be trying to get replacement via Tamiya as it would just take too long. After all, scratchbuilding is fun!

Great to see you back seb , nice choice , hopefully nothing else on the kit is short shot , cheers tony
Thank you, Tony. Yeah I've had quite busy couple of years behind me, personally, so I've decided to be more proactive forums wise. I still prefer them to social media. Oh and it looks like those two parts are the only ones affected. I noticed one of the propeller blades appears to be wider than the other two but I'll have to inspect that more closely and can be corrected with a sanding stick.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Rear gunner's compartment finished. Used balsa wood for floor to hide a nasty seam, Tamiya didn't catch during designing this kit. And as there was a piece of dark grey painted wood on the real aircraft which was soon scuffed away by the hard soiled gunners boots!

Il-2-3.jpgIl-2-3.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Seb. Dark grey painted wood eh……they never skimped on luxuries for the poor old gunner did they. He even got a strap to sit on when he got tired :tongue-out3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start Seb , are those Quinta ( or similar ) 3D decals ? I know that Tamiya usually supply standard flat decals for the seat belts ( which never look right )
Cheers tony

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Thanks, guys!

Great start Seb , are those Quinta ( or similar ) 3D decals ? I know that Tamiya usually supply standard flat decals for the seat belts ( which never look right )
Cheers tony
Indeed those are Quinta decals. First time using them. In case of ordinary seatbelt decals, I usually carefully cut them out of the sheet together with the backing paper, thus giving them thickness and attaching them using CA glue. After a wash, they look rather well.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's work of such quality that it belies the scale.

Very well done indeed!!

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
haha, thanks Tim. It ain't that hard but I admit, it is a bit tedious to make em. Some nice music in the headphones and I'm good :D

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Seb. But I've got to say, I would never be so brave to have a screen that close to my bench. I would ruin it, quickly.