Il-2M3 Shturmovik (Tamiya, 1:72)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great seb , nice work with the riveter . The quinta decals are excellent arent they , I used the same set when I did my il 2 m82 conversion last year . That kit did have rivets but in every other respect is stone age compared to the Tamiya one! Cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wonderful Seb, putting your skills from 1/700 to 1/72 makes details stand out even more. The large wing of the Sturmovic is so similar to the Heinkel 111 and needs the rivet detail to add interest.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Looking great seb , nice work with the riveter . The quinta decals are excellent arent they , I used the same set when I did my il 2 m82 conversion last year . That kit did have rivets but in every other respect is stone age compared to the Tamiya one! Cheers tony
Yeah they are great, although I guess they come more to the front in some modern aircraft with multiple switches, knobs, MFDs and what not and less so with rather simplistic WW2 cockpits. I'll have to give them a try on something more modern one day. Which kit did you use as a base?

Wonderful Seb, putting your skills from 1/700 to 1/72 makes details stand out even more. The large wing of the Sturmovic is so similar to the Heinkel 111 and needs the rivet detail to add interest.

Cheers,
Richard
Well actually it is the other way around... I've been building 1:72 for my entire life and just recently (in the last few years) start to play a bit with ship models in 1:700. And yeah, the wings are rather huge and would be rather bland without riveting detail.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Now that I am feeling a little better, I've made some major progress. Unfortunately the join between fuselage and wings wasn't the best so some surgery was required there. Machine gun barrels were replaced with insulin injection needles while the 23mm gun barrels and pitot tube were made of brass tubing from Albion Alloys. She's now ready for some paint under the coat of MrSurfacer 1500.

il-2-9-XL.jpg

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Very nice Seb :thumb2:

Just catching up with your build, I really like the cockpit and the underside paint looks spot on.

Geoff.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
As I always paint from lightest to darkest colour, the AMT-1 Light Brown was the obvious choice. Again mottling over the black base with added different brown and light sandy tones to achieve the faded used paint effect.

il-2-11-XL.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cracking work Seb. Only just started using black-basing myself but love the effect it achieves.

Keep your great work.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I always paint from lightest to darkest colour
I find that statement slightly odd, given you started with a black base coat :smiling3: “Start with the lightest colour” is good advice over a light base (because then you probably won’t have issues with the paint not covering that underneath well enough), but when the model is black I kind of think doing it the other way would be better?

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
I find that statement slightly odd, given you started with a black base coat :smiling3: “Start with the lightest colour” is good advice over a light base (because then you probably won’t have issues with the paint not covering that underneath well enough), but when the model is black I kind of think doing it the other way would be better?
actually the reason for it is the light feathered overspray. doing it light to dark, you get much better looking feathered edge than the other way around.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
actually the reason for it is the light feathered overspray. doing it light to dark, you get much better looking feathered edge than the other way around.
Yup...that works for me even for my illustration days...less dustier effect.

Cheers,
Richard