JU 87 b 1/24

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't think the floor was wooden. I can't check for sure until I get home next week.

The O2 system did change over time and I can't say without checking which was most likely to have been in your version.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I remember from the Vultee analysis of a Bf 110 sent to the US that the pilot's seat, control column and rudder pedals were fitted as one sub assembly, fitting into two longitudinal channels. I'm not sure where wood would come into that.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

I believe you Steve, I just wanted to get the opinion of the forum expert :smiling:

I will leave the floor as is and make two of the O-2 systems. There is surprizingly little roon in the front cockpit, with such a large airplane one woud not think it. I see on the 109 it is situated on the right sidewall near the pilot's knee. The only place that seems logic (if the pilot needs to reach it in flight) in the 87 would be under the right side electrical pannel infront of the seat.

The rear pit has loasd of room on the right side.

I assume the system would have an O-2 hose with the mask attached to it, the crew would not have a mask on all the time right?Or would they use the mask for intercom?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The part you are referring to is the diluter/demand regulator, manufactured by Draeger who (I think) are still in business. That version was a 1933 design, most visible in a Bf 109 E cockpit. I would have to check what type of regulator was fitted in the Ju 87.

Luftwaffe flying helmets incorporated a throat mic so wearing a mask at low altitude was not necessary for communication. Oxygen masks changed in style over time too, but my memory says they did all incorporate the hose, unlike some allied masks to which a hose, fitted in the aircraft, was attached. In a typical 'Stuka' attack profile the attack commenced from around 12,000ft (or less), so not high altitude by the standards of the day.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice cockpit Thuens.

The Stuka really is a favourite and the 1/24 Airfix kit has to be the daddy of them all. This will be impressive when finished. I built a 1/32 Trumpeter Stuka some time back and really enjoyed the build. By-the-way I went for an O2 cockpit as well. I'd post the links but I think they were broken when the site swapped over (they're still on my photobucket account if you're interested.

All the best with the rest of the build

Cheers

P

T

T. van Vuuren

Very interested in your pix please post the link :smiling:

Theubns

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's the link to one of the shots

there are others (including build shots if you browse a little.

thanks

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you Theuns

Of the large Airfix kits this is my personal favourite (although I do fancy the GR. 3 Harrier!) so i'll be following this 1/24 build with interest.

You're doing a fine job with the interior and I look forward to further progress.

Will you be doing a Battle of Britain Stuka?

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Dave
The part you are referring to is the diluter/demand regulator, manufactured by Draeger who (I think) are still in business. That version was a 1933 design, most visible in a Bf 109 E cockpit. I would have to check what type of regulator was fitted in the Ju 87.

Luftwaffe flying helmets incorporated a throat mic so wearing a mask at low altitude was not necessary for communication. Oxygen masks changed in style over time too, but my memory says they did all incorporate the hose, unlike some allied masks to which a hose, fitted in the aircraft, was attached. In a typical 'Stuka' attack profile the attack commenced from around 12,000ft (or less), so not high altitude by the standards of the day.

Cheers

Steve

Draeger are still in business. They make smoke hoods (and other breathing equipment) which are for use by airline cabin crews in emergencies.

T

T. van Vuuren

I will do a BoB one yes.

I got all the kit's bits for the engine painted up aswell as the frewall. After they go in I will make and add the electrical, fuel and controll links from the firewall to the engine.

It will have to wait a bit, Im off to go do my bi-anual PPL "check ride" and the wind is pumping with a cold front moving in....going to be fun.

T

Last edited:
T

T. van Vuuren

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Theuns. How did your 'check ride' go?

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Joe, thanx.

Check ride was OK, the trip to the CAA to get the "papers" was OK so all good for the next two years .

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I was not happy with the very pebly rough texture of the moldongs and the raised rivets so I will sand it smooth and drill out each of the rivets witt a .3mm bit and pin vice.....thats gonna be fun!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Thuens. Yes, this is one rather large aircraft! In 1/32 it is big in 1/24 it'll be a monster!

keep up the good work

P