Junkers Ju87B-2 ‘Stuka’ Scale 1/24

T

Tone M

Looking great so far Polux!

Got to be honest.... I think B.

It looks like real life, not a version of, i you get me....

Real life weathering and ageing isn't controlled, sooooo..... B is perfect imo ;)

P

Polux

\ said:
Looking great. If I may say I think that the white camouflage was a type of emulsion. I think that it would wear away rather than chip. I think the effect you are looking for is like a really old painted wall where the paint has worn off.Ian M
So, in your opinion, paint all the camouflage with the option B should be correct? O_o

B

Bunkerbarge

I tend to prefer A because, as Ian has mentioned and I'm sure Steve wil confirm, most winter camouflage was simply white emulsion slapped over the original camouflage. The effect you really want then is white paint, washed away from the two tone green below. I have seen pictures of tanks with quite a lot of the white simply washed off making for a very interesting effect! I think A is closest but I think washed over in streaks with thin white and grey washes.

By the way what you have done so far is simply beautiful. Poetry in paint!!

Z

Ziper_it

Hi Polux, great work here!

Love the wing's bottom, bomb and tests.

Regarding winter camo I'm not an expert so I went to search for images. I saw that there are different style but it looks the camo was mainly applied with brushes (brums) and kind of faded.

Effect a is perfect for chipped enamel, but doesn't look right overall.

Effect b is perfect for old cracked paint. From the close up it doesn't look right either, maybe looking it from distance it is. But the effect is great (was the hairspray still wet?).

Francesco

T

treyzx10r

Gotta go with the 'A' option or a variation of it. The pics I've seen seem to show more 'streaking' than chipping if that makes sense?

P

Polux

Ok guys! Thank you ;) I will wait for Steve and other members opinions, but the option A is the winner!!. But well done, of course :P

Anyway I learn one new thing, the option B is fantastic for some future weathering effects!!! Maybe on the ship's wood...? :rolleyes:

B

Bunkerbarge

Polux just to give you something to think about for your ship have a look around here:

http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk

The picture I posted earlier is of the Ben Ain, which is available in kit form from Mount Fleet

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That first winter in the east there was no permanent white aircraft lacquer available. The campaign was supposed to have been over by the winter and no contingency plan had been made. If you don't accept the possibility of failure you can't plan for it!

I don't know specifically what class of paints the temporary white camouflage would fit into, though it is often described as a distemper. It certainly weathered quite quickly, particularly in high traffic areas or exposed areas exposed like leading edges.

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Thanks Steve.

I will go for the option A...

Anyway I must perfect a better work :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you have a practice piece. give that a quick camo job, and then try this. Mix up some Vallejo white with WATER until it is a nice thin mix as for spraying. Then paint it on with a fairly stiff brush. Dont be to careful and fussy, just slap it on and drag it out. Leave to dry and every ten minutes or so try rubbing it of with a finger tip with a tissue over it.

Mixing the paint with water will weaken it and make it quite powdery when dry. A damp tissue or cotton bud can be used to scrub it away where you want ware.

I hope that you see what I mean.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Polux

Brilliant work on the Stuka, you're certainly giving it the full treatment.

My vote for the whitewash weathering goes to 'A' to my eye this looks more like the winter camouflage schemes I've seen. 'B' is just too much for me. Whilst giving the impression of lots of detail I think over a whole aircraft this could be destracting. There's no reason why you couldn't mix the 2 and have the majority 'A' and the more worn parts 'B'.

Great work, this will be awesome when finished

Cheers

P

P

Polux

Yep ;) Hi

I have a "technical" question....

The camouflage has two colours, the light green and the dark green. Anyone knows if, for example, the original Stuka was painted with the light green (all the upper fuselage) and then was added the dark green (over)..?

Or both were painted separately...?

Ps: I cannot post photos today... :sad: tomorrow I will show the Stuka masked, ready for the upper paintwork :rolleyes:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Yep ;) HiI have a "technical" question....

The camouflage has two colours, the light green and the dark green. Anyone knows if, for example, the original Stuka was painted with the light green (all the upper fuselage) and then was added the dark green (over)..?

Or both were painted separately...?
I don't know but as the original camouflage drawing gives exact measurements for the different colours I suspect that the scheme was marked out with some kind of line and then the colours sprayed separately.

To spray the entire airframe, and a Ju 87 is quite big, with the lighter colour and then spray the darker colour on top would use a lot more paint and not be an economical way of doing it. It's how I do it on my models but I'm not convinced that Junkers would have done it at 1:1 scale.

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Polux your slacking , get some more photos up !! :D :D :p