Karl & Andrews Soviet wingy thing GB Chat thread.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Thank you from myself and Andrew all that have agreed to participate in this GB, and welcome to all the late comers that decide to join in at a more reasonable time to the start date....
Plenty of time to get sorted for this, so much so that I can't even add my countdown clock yet, but I will.

I was trying to think of any films focusing on the VVS but am drawing a blank, if anyone can come up with any please let us know. (I suspect subtitles will be involved.)
Anyway keeping this short but will finish with the rules, please don't try to break them.

The GB rules

GB period

1st October to 31st December 2023, so as to avoid Andy’s Japanese plane GB.

Historical timeframe
From the start of Russian hostilities in World War II on 17th September until its end i.e. Japanese unconditional surrender. So from Russia’s invasion of Poland and including the Russo-Finnish Winter War too, as well as the obvious 1941-1945 period. It does though exclude the pre-existing Russo-Japan conflicts i.e. Khalkin Gol.

Scale
Any scale up to an including 1:1 :tongue-out3:

Presentation

Standalone models (with or without pilots and/or bases), small vignettes or even full blown dioramas are allowed (if you think you can pull it off in three months). Although in the case of dioramas the plane must obviously be the focus.

Plane/kit options

This was harder than I (Andrew) thought it would be but then I do have a habit over thinking things……I blame the mindset I need for my job :disappointed2::disappointed2:
  • All Soviet designed and built planes that saw active frontline service during the war e.g. Yaks, LaGGs, PE-3s, IL-2s, Tupolevs etc.
  • Also, any Lend-Lease aircraft that saw active frontline service with the Soviet air force during the war e.g. P-39 Airacobra, P40s, A20 Havocs etc.
So what do we mean by “active frontline service”? Whilst this is open to debate, we’re suggesting anything that saw active service in frontline duties in ‘reasonable’ numbers*.

So in the case of Soviet planes, only those in full scale production; no protypes allowed. However, planes sent to squadrons in relatively large numbers for large scale evaluation are in as they would have seen a fair amount of combat e.g. LaGG-1s (c. 100 apparently).

In the case of Lend Lease aircraft this would exclude single planes or small numbers of a type sent only for testing/evaluation purposes e.g. as we did with a Mossie. All Lend Lease aircraft will obviously need to carry the relevant Soviet markings where appropriate.

*As we said this was not easy to define but try to think about the spirit of what we’re aiming for. This list might give you an idea of what they used but obviously check the facts for the for ‘unusual’ options, it is Wikipedia after all .……………

List of aircraft of the Red Army Air Forces - Wikipedia

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Karl for starting this off! Much appreciated.

And again thanks to everyone that has signed up!!!

And for those that have not signed up, there are still five months to find something to buy if you don't have it in the stash!!

All the best.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That wiki list...
The RAF sent one Mossy for appraisal. They flew it once. Crashed it on landing. Mr Low made a most excellent model of it in a recent GB.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That wiki list...
The RAF sent one Mossy for appraisal. They flew it once. Crashed it on landing. Mr Low made a most excellent model of it in a recent GB.
Indeed they did.....but it was Comrade Race that did the Soviet Mossie.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for setting this up fellers!
Although October is a long time away - I'll make my choice now!
View attachment 479883
Been in my stash for several years - about time it saw daylight...............
Dave
That looks suspiciously like a Red version of a Dauntless to me ?!! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Indeed they did.....but it was Comrade Race that did the Soviet Mossie.

Of course it was how could I get that so wrong.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all

just a gentle bump in case anyone has missed this.

Sorry I have been AWOL recently. The studies are reaching their culmination and so I have been studying hard.

The good news though is that I have finished the first draft of my written assignment, well ahead of schedule (the 5th). It means I now have plenty of time to finesse it and also revise for my online test in a couple of weeks.

Will look forward to being back properly in early June!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A gentle bump in case anyone missed this!