Karl & Andrews Soviet wingy thing GB Chat thread.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sign me up for this one.

I have a few candidates in my stash and will decide which one(s) to build nearer the start date. The kits are:

Airfix 1/72 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk (A68220)
Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (A55111)
Airfix 1/72 Petlyakov Pe-2 (02028)
Airfix 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-9D (01034-6)
Airfix 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3 (02091)
HobbyBoss 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 (80236)
Mistercraft 1/72 Yakolev Yak-1b 'Luganskij' (020170)

Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sign me up for this one.

I have a few candidates in my stash and will decide which one(s) to build nearer the start date. The kits are:

Airfix 1/72 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk (A68220)
Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (A55111)
Airfix 1/72 Petlyakov Pe-2 (02028)
Airfix 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-9D (01034-6)
Airfix 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3 (02091)
HobbyBoss 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 (80236)
Mistercraft 1/72 Yakolev Yak-1b 'Luganskij' (020170)

Dave

Welcome aboard Dave! I originally only had one to chose from....and then eBay happened!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Having done the Japanese thingy, and quite enjoyed doing something outside my normal interest, I am now sorely tempted to do a Soviet thingy.

I may know even less about the VVS than the various Japanese air forces, so just when I thought I couldn't go any lower......

I do know at least something about lend lease, so that might be the way to go.

I should be off to a flyer next month, because I do have a Soviet pilot in a draw, I think he came in a box with other Allied pilots, maybe ICM? The box is long gone. All I need now is an aeroplane for him to sit in. Whatever I do will be 'flying' because that's the only way I can fit it on a shelf :smiling3:

I shall begin looking for a suitable subject!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Having done the Japanese thingy, and quite enjoyed doing something outside my normal interest, I am now sorely tempted to do a Soviet thingy.

I may know even less about the VVS than the various Japanese air forces, so just when I thought I couldn't go any lower......

I do know at least something about lend lease, so that might be the way to go.

I should be off to a flyer next month, because I do have a Soviet pilot in a draw, I think he came in a box with other Allied pilots, maybe ICM? The box is long gone. All I need now is an aeroplane for him to sit in. Whatever I do will be 'flying' because that's the only way I can fit it on a shelf :smiling3:

I shall begin looking for a suitable subject!
Welcome aboard Steve!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all!

I cannot believe it is over five months since Karl and I suggested this GB. I have no idea where the time has gone. In fact it was only last week that it dawned on me, we're due to start a week today, Sunday 1st.

The rules for the GB are here, on the first page of this thread.

I have just been through both this thread and the initial suggestion thread and so I am fairly confident that the below list of participants and their chosen victims are correct but if I have missed anyone off please let me know.

By my reckoning we 13 confirmed participants and of course anyone else is welcome to join!

Finally, thanks to everyone who signed up to make this possible.

All the best.

Andrew

--------------------------------------

Confirmed:
Andrew aka @adt70hk - Not sure now but leaning towards 1/72 rather than my original 1/48 choice but we will see!!
Karl aka @KarlW - 1/48 Eduard PE-2 Limited Edition
Andy aka @The Smythe Meister - 1/48 Eduard I-16 Type 18 Weekend Edition
Dave aka @Dave Ward - 1/48 Zvezda Sukhoi Su-2
Ian aka @papa 695 - TBC
Tony aka @yak face - TBC
Geoff aka @Geoffers - 1/72 Arma Hobby HUrrican IIc
Lee aka @Lee Drennen - 1/72 Academy IL-2 Stormovik
Mick aka @Mickc1440 - 1/48 Academy Yak-1
Richard aka @Rbaker - TBC
Dave aka @davecov - TBC
Steve aka @stona - TBC
Nick aka @therapy - 1/48 ICM U-2/Po-2VS with pilots etc.

Possible(s):
Neil aka @Neil Merryweather - TBC

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have made my choice of kit for this GB. It will be the HobbyBoss 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 (80236)

HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_001.JPG

Unfortunately, I am suffering real health problems right now with Rheumatoid Arthritis but I am hoping that I can knock this one out fairly quickly - hence my choice of a HobbyBoss "Easy Kit".

Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have made my choice of kit for this GB. It will be the HobbyBoss 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 (80236)

HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_001.JPG

Unfortunately, I am suffering real health problems right now with Rheumatoid Arthritis but I am hoping that I can knock this one out fairly quickly - hence my choice of a HobbyBoss "Easy Kit".

Dave
Despite being 'easy assembly', these make up into some nicely detailed models, I've made quite a few, and have a few in the stash.....
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I am going to pass on this, sorry. Much as I would like to start my Polkarpov, when I eventually get back to making models I want to concentrate on finishing the French Fusiliers.
But I shall be watching from the 'wings'.....
Taxi for Neil :smiling5:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This will be my effort for this GB.

P1010863.JPG

I've got a pilot and will probably try to acquire some masks/markings as I go along.

I don't know much about the VVS, so I was surprised to discover that no fewer than 4,600 P-39s were delivered to the Soviet Union and that five of the Soviet Union’s top ten fighter aces primarily flew this type, including the number two scorer Alexander Pokryshin with 59 kills (48 on the P-39).

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry guys, but I am truly horrible at finishing group builds, so I will have to sit this one out. I wish everyone a great time and I'll try to keep up with all your great builds too!!!...

On another note, I do have to make a slight correction to the quote below,
I'm gonna have a crack at one of these...
It should read "Cohan and I are gonna have a crack at one of these..."

Which brings me to the question about your kit Mr. Smiff........I know pilots on all sides, in wartime, used to paint their kills on the fuselage after they were confirmed.......Ok, your I-16 kit has 5 small red stars on the fuselage, and from what I see, the pilot was a total bonehead and shot down 5 of his own 'Comrades' in combat. To make it worse, he added the stars on his plane too!!!.......Or?.....

Prost
Allen