Kinetic 1/48 F-104G Luftwaffe Starfighter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I love these iconic planes,(nicknamed "Flying Coffins" if I remember correctly),so I'm in too Mick :smiling3:
Andy
(P.S.Got their album too.... very 80s Rock, with Angus Young's Nephew !! ;) )
Thought they were called Widowmakers Andy. The album isn’t the Hawkwind spin off with Bob Calvert then….Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters? It’s got the following joke on it….”How do you buy a Starfighter?…..It’s easy….buy an acre of land and just wait”.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I love these iconic planes,(nicknamed "Flying Coffins" if I remember correctly),so I'm in too Mick :smiling3:
Andy
(P.S.Got their album too.... very 80s Rock, with Angus Young's Nephew !! ;) )
yes you are right on that smithy they crashed a few of them but i also love these planes from their sleek looks an with the big wing tanks they look very space agey
chrisb

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thought they were called Widowmakers Andy. The album isn’t the Hawkwind spin off with Bob Calvert then….Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters? It’s got the following joke on it….”How do you buy a Starfighter?…..It’s easy….buy an acre of land and just wait”.
Sorry to HiJack your thread for a moment Mick.......
Tim,no,not that one ...... THIS one..........
41ZYHqGINsL._AC_SX355_ - Copy.jpg
..... Some great tracks,my personal favourite....... "Alley Cat Blues":cool:
Andy

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
They crashed about a quarter of them Chris….……more than a few ;)
WELL Tim knew that but i dint want to say to much but we had our fair share of E/E LIGHTINING crashes i went to some around where i live with my dad to pick up the bits exciting times them back in the late 6o's
chrisb

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mick, it's one of their better kits and many swear here it's better than the Hase kit. Goes together well, not complicated but you still have to be mindful of the destruction sheet.
Jim, surprised you haven't heard of Kinetic. Rumour has it that it's popular in the west. I think the packaging is great and solid...the kits are like stars in the night as you get some good flickers. If Dragon is Hong Kong based then you know what the destruction sheets are like. Doesn't mean you can't build a nice one.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They crashed about a quarter of them Chris….……more than a few ;)
The German experience with them is not necessarily typical, it seems, though. I’ve got a book from 1970, titled Militaire Straalvliegtuigen (“Military Jet Aircraft”) that has a chapter on the F-104 and says:—
In contrast to Germany, where over 120 Starfighters have already crashed, our [Royal Netherlands] air force flies very safely with the plane. The assumption was four write-offs per year, but accident statistics have stayed far below that.

This with 947 Starfighters bought by Germany, and 138 by the Netherlands. A few pages on, the book doesn’t outright say, but implies, that Dutch losses by that time were seven planes, or 5% of the total inventory, against 13% losses in Germany (120 planes on 947 bought — but divided the wrong way round, so it seems only 8% :smiling3:). Italy fared even worse, by the way: 30 losses on 120 planes … The book attributes the difference in accident rates between German and Dutch planes because of the greater jet experience of Dutch pilots, since “[the Germans] skipped the Meteor-age, so to speak, and the accidents we suffered in that …”

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice mick , looks a very good kit , ive seen a few kinetic kits up close and they always seem very well tooled . The kriegsmarine scheme is a great one and seldom seen modelled too , cheers tony

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Thanks for coming to join my build. First off the cockpit which is almost complete now. I added an Eduard set and put pva in the dials. The parts fit really well so far. Someone mentioned keeping an eye on the instructions and I can see why. There are quite a few parts on the sprue that don’t go anywhere including an almost complete ejection seat, I’m presuming this is for a variation in another version. A painting guide would be good as it only covers bits of the assembly so studying pics it will have to be. Here’s where I’m up to.
CBFC0927-D03F-4C2A-8A39-1FF9822001EC.jpegA537EB6E-4244-4D68-ACD2-37C301C90967.jpeg525049A8-E1A8-410D-9ED6-D2387FD1D4EE.jpeg