Me262B-1aU1 Trumpeter 1/32

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is my next project,about to get underway.

Here's my traditionally appalling picture of the rather good box art.

The box contains another small box (Tamiya style) which is full of extra goodies. Instrument panel,clear parts,rubber tyres,photoetch harnesses and some nice white metal undercarriage parts. I'll definitely use these latter as I've found on previous Me262 builds that the weight needed in the nose to stop the model "tail sitting" makes the finished piece quite heavy.

The meat of the meal is in Trumpeter's softish grey styrene on several sprues. It all looks nicely moulded and very clean. I've checked the shape against some drawings and it looks okay to me though I've never been one to worry about a millimetre here or there! You do get Trumpeter's famous rivet detail.

On production Me262s this was filled and smoothed leaving it virtually invisible. You have two choices,leave it and live with it,it will make a better looking though less "realistic" model or fill it all in. I knew it was there when I bought the kit and most of it I will leave.

That's enough of a ramble....work on this one starts tomorrow!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a fine package steve, so refreshing to see a manufacturer (apart from eduard of course with their profipacks) including a decent set of etched seat harnesses, this one item makes all the difference to any cockpit . The white metal u/c legs are a real nice touch too ,especially if the model is going to need some heavy weight in the nose. Looking forward to this one steve,although i imagine youre dreading the paint job if its the tiny squiggles one! cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks a great kit Steve. I'll be following this build for sure, as you know I have the Me262 1a version, so this really will be interesting.

Looking forward to some more fine aircraft modelling sir!

All the best

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm planning to do Kurt Welter's "Red 10" at the moment. It's a pretty standard black underside,RLM 76 upper with an RLM 75 mottle Trumpeter's instructions give an RLM 81 and RLM 83 mottle which I shall investigate further. They spell Welter's name wrong and add an extra digit to the Werk Nummer so they don't inspire confidence.

I have one photo of the aircraft at the RAE Farnborough in British markings which I quite like. Unfortunately it was scrapped in 1947.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
ooo gonna love following this build Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of the cockpit as a lot of it will be clearly visible through that canopy. Lovely looking kit though, thanks for showing us in the box.

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
ooo gonna love following this build Steve
Me too! tis sure to be a feast for the eyes !!! Great looking kit Steve anxiously watching this one. This is a subject I've wanted to do but in 1/48 though, any suggestions on a good kit in that scale?

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
This is a subject I've wanted to do but in 1/48 though, any suggestions on a good kit in that scale?
If you want the 1/48 version then the Dragon and Italeri kits are one and the same. Hannants do a conversion for the Tamiya 1/48 kit although it aint cheap

HobbyBoss are supposed to be bringing out a new 1/48 kit this year, maybe next

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An Me262 in RAF markings... That sounds to good to pass up. Any chance of a peak at the photo?

Which ever one you go for, I am certain it will be well worth keeping an eye on the build/paint process.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Up early due to jet lag so decided to make a start.

Built pilot seat.

Started on rear seat but was stumped by ejector pin marks that need fixing.

I don't want to give too negative an impression,I'm quite impressed with the quality of the kit so far. If you're not prepared to fix the odd liitle pin mark you need a different hobby lol!

Only other anomaly is the bulkhead behind the pilot's seat labelled as part A8. It isn't and you won't find it. It is infact part number N21.

Regarding camouflage and markings,I'm reading up on the various options and may post a seperate thread seeking opinions later. Ian,I'll stick the photo of "Red 10" in RAF markings there.

No rush as there is a loooong way to go before I have to decide!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Coming together nicely Steve.

Regarding the cammo, do you remember that Me262 picture you posted? The one airborne, with all the 'patchwork' on it, should be fun doing that!!

Something is stirring....didn't you have a go at that last year?

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That would be this one Ron.

I'm planning to do this one.

It's Kurt Welter's aircraft and that's him standing,facing us,on the wing whilst another Kommando Welter pilot Leutnant Georg Czypionka gives Lieutenant Commander Eric Brown,who famously and unofficially flew many captured Luftwaffe aircraft at the end of the war, a few "hints and tips"

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes, that's the one Steve....Wadda ya know, I've remembered something more than a week old. There's hope for me yet!

Best of luck with the build.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not much progress evident despite quite a few hours beavering away at the desk. I've been making and fettling all sorts of bits and bobs. The only thing that is starting to come together is the cockpit. It just needs a little more work. I'll give it a wash,not too much,I don't want it too dirty,and whilst that dries I'll fade/wear the seat cushions a bit.

it's all gone together very well.

I thought I'd better show something so here it is ......half-baked lol.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking well nice Steve.

F

Fenlander

You just know this is going to be a good one. First day in nearly five weeks that I have been able to do a bit of modelling. Feels good don't it?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
First day in nearly five weeks that I have been able to do a bit of modelling. Feels good don't it?
It does!!! I haven't been able to do anything since the Fairey Battle which I finished the end of November or beginning of December IIRC.

I'm off for a lie down now as I really should have fitted the etch harnesses before I built up the cockpit! It's all gone a bit gynaecological!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

P

pilot program

THis is very nice. The cockpit is very effective.

Good job, Steve :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Morning amigos. The cockpit is now finished apart from the second seat's instrument/radar panel,which goes in,along with the gunsight,much later. It's had a wash and a bit of dry brushing,nothing too much. I've been looking at photos and drawings of the real thing and a lot less of this will be visible than I thought....Oh well.

I've started on the gunbay and hope to get that more or less done today.

Cheers

Steve