Me262B-1aU1 Trumpeter 1/32

S

sprayman

Well Steve you really hit this one hard and fast, beautiful work so far, and the paint job is just nailed....looking forward to see this complete, and I have read this thread with much interest.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Ray. I know you like a bit of Luftwaffe fun and I can recommend this kit. Trumpeter get some bad press but this kit is light years ahead of the old Hasgawa kit in this scale.

Things slow down now as I become a slave to drying times.

I've fitted the rear seat instruments and front seat gun sight,along with the windscreen, meaning the cockpit is now finished. Bad picture alert!

Looking at Trey's excellent Bf110 made me move on to my own radar antennae. Not brilliantly engineered this joint! I'm looking forward to trying to fill this and sand it without breaking something. If I do manage that I've then got that flash to remove.

I've got time as the first coat of Klear went on this morning. I'll give a second coat tonight and then decals tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great now steve, lovely mottle. Good luck with the antennae, im sure youll get them done ok. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a look at the decals this morning. Here Trumpeter have not matched the standard of rest of the kit!

1 There is an extra one at the front of the Werk Nummer.....no problem,slice it off.

2 The red zero is a bit off shape......completely over it,it's a minor thing that some expert noticed,it's still a red zero and I'm not going to measure it..

3 None of the swastikas on the decal sheet are the correct style.

The kit ones are "split" for reasons we all know and appreciate but both styles,solid black and bordered are incorrect for this aircraft. Luckily I have some of the correct style from the spares box,the ones on the right of the picture.

Hope to get the decalling done today. I'll post the piccies later.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Anything Luftwaffe always catches my eye Steve, some fine detail on this kit by the looks of it, your doing it proud mate.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a good decalling session and am about half way there!

Having been a little rude about some of the decals it's only fair that I say how well they work. Nice light carrier film,100% in register and they go down beautifully. I've got some under microsol at the moment and they seem to react well to that too.

Another well done to Trumpeter.

Here they are being "coshed" by microsol.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slapped the good old Promodeller washes on. Black for the top and light dirt for the bottom. They make a lovely mess!

After wiping the excess off you can see how they work and how well the kit decals have settled in with a couple of treatments with Microsol.

I've done some chipping with Humbrol 56,you can see a bit across the yellow fuel triangle. I'll leave that until tomorrow to dry and then final varnish and attachment of the dangly bits. I'm going matt as that's how these aircraft look in my references.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

That transfer looks superb but it's the wash in the detail over the top that sets it apart. I've never used the promodeller washes but this is the best advert I've ever seen for them.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
People seem to love the Promodeller washes or hate them. Being old school I used to make my own concoction with ground pastels and water and wahing up liquid! Now I don't bother as I use the Promodeller washes in the same way and they work as well if not better. I still like an oil wash on my engines,cockpits,wheel wells and the like.

I have seen complaints about not being able to remove the excess wash. I apply it over a gloss coat as I don't want a really dirty aircraft. I guess people doing other subjects might put it over a matt finish but then it is much harder to get off.

Whatever varnish you apply it over has to be well dried and cured or the wash will interact with the varnish and you'll have a really dirty model!

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Steve this is looking awesome, tripped over my tongue when I got up after seeing the pics! Graham turned me on to promodeller wash and I've been sold on it ever since. I 've not had a problem getting the excess off its worked great for me so far.The decals have set in very nicely, its impressive how they even dropped into those tiny holes,great work!,

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've temporarily attached various panels and the canopy parts and sprayed a coat of Vallejo matt varnish.

It's given the finish I'm after. In my experience this stuff dries fast but remains fragile for some time. I've managed to leave a nice thumb print in the past! I like to leave it for a few hours to go off properly. I won't have a chance to model later today so final construction starts tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks stunning Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Allyne,it's getting there.

In a brief flash of what passes for sunlight here in Birmingham I tried to get a photo of the underside to show that firstly it is not black but a red/black mix and secondly the oversprayed grey.

From a couple of feet away you really can't see this so starkly and I'm quite chuffed to have caught it "on camera" lol!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've cheated and started on the wheels and u/c doors.

Gotta go!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wadda ya mean, gotta go!

You should have gone 4 hours ago! lol

Looking really good Steve, take your time, you're nearly there and what a treat it will be to see the finished model...

Cheers,

Ron

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely stunning. An all over black is one of the most difficult things to make realistic but yours looks spot on. Great restrained weathering as well with just a bit of paint chip effects to give it some life.

S

Sky Raider

I agree with the others, a stunning build mate, cant wait to see the finished result. Well done.

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers fellas.

Trumpeter would have you fit the various undercarriage parts a lot earlier but that would have made painting the rest of the model awkward to say the least. Fitting it and it's associated "moving parts" at this late stage will be a challenge but nothing that some good tweezers and persistence won't solve. I shall attempt the operation in the morning,for me sitting a model on it's own wheels is always a mile stone. I hope I've put enough weight in the nose! It feels okay but you never know for sure. After that it's just the canopy followed by assorted antennae etc,definitely the home run.

The next update may well be a completed model.

Steve

S

sprayman

Smashing Steve, hope you have a nice place to put this bird when she's done.:xyxthumbs: