Me262B-1aU1 Trumpeter 1/32

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking really good Steve - everything is quality but I especially like the instrument panel and the harnesses.

This is going to be a great build

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers fellas. The instrument panel is one of those sanwich ones with a printed film behind the dials. You've still got to paint the facia and surrounds though.

Cannon bay will take a bit longer than I thought,despite my having built the weapons yesterday. The cannon have a locating pin at the back but then sit on the ammunition chutes. It is essential to dry fit the front bulkhead of the bay to align the barrels correctly otherwise when you come to fit the nose of the fuselage (with the cannon troughs) you will be in a world of pain! This is a good tip when building any aircraft with nose armament.

So,one weapon at a time.

Here's another one of my low quality piccies to illustrate the point!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's the cannon bay. I can't get a decent photo,all the shiney Alclad makes the cannon look much lighter than they are,but you can just about see what's going on.

The engines will probably be next. Each one is a 100 part kit in itself and very impressive too. They are designed to be shown off in the clear nacelles which are an option with this kit. I'm not using those nacelles and have no intention of building the whole engines just to hide them away. I'll work out what has to be built as obviously the intakes and exhausts will be visible,and build that.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great Steve. Just one thought about those Engines; It could look rather cool if you built at least one of them 100% and then opened up the inspection hatches/panels...

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It could look rather cool if you built at least one of them 100% and then opened up the inspection hatches/panels...Ian M
Mmmm! the only easily removed access panel is the one at the front of the engine (just forward of the wing). It's the only one that you'll see removed in most photographs in the field. I suspect getting to anything else was a fairly substantial task. I've seen a few images in workshops with other panels removed,but generally,for major maintenance,I think they dropped the entire engine off the aircraft.

I like the idea though,maybe I'll build up the front of one engine and expose that. I may well leave the cannon bay doors open,there's loads of images like that. This kit includes all the internal fuel tanks as well. None of them will be visible either which is just as well unless someone knows what colour they were! I've only seen B+W pictures of them apart from some unrestored ones in an old walkaround. These look yellow but Trumpeter think they should be red! Me ,I dunno,I'll just hide them lol.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Steve great looking build you have going on ,and thanks for the tip about the gun alignment I'll be using that one

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not much to show today. I've been building and prepping all sorts of bits and pieces. Here's a piccy of some (fuel tanks,wheel hubs (those are just the hubs ,the tyres are seperate) engine parts etc) and there's more drying in a dust free environment,well,a biscuit tin!

Trumpeter's soft styrene does take some careful cleaning up of sprue attachment points etc. Very time consuming.

Hopefully,in a couple of days, his will mean a quantum leap forward when they all get attached to a big lump.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A minor rant.

Plugging along this morning I came accross the sort of sprue attachments that leave a blob of plastic across two mating surfaces. This is not exclusively a Trumpeter issue but it drives me mad.

Look at this on the leading edge of the fin.

I don't want to end up filling the leading edge of the fin so with a lot of care and attention I reduced it to this.

Which is fine,except there are four on each fuselage half and the take about 15 mins each to sort.....Aaaaaah!

Rant over,I'm off to somewhere called "the shops" so I need to find my passport....I think.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
....Aaaaaah!

Rant over,I'm off to somewhere called "the shops" so I need to find my passport....I think.

Cheers

Steve
Bloody long way to the shops where you live!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Bloody long way to the shops where you live!Ian M
They might as well be in a foreign country for me! SWMBO and I came back with a handbag (for her,not me!) which apparently was an astonishing bargain.

Quick update on the 262.

The fuselage contains two major sub-assemblies which are complete. I have dry fitted these many,many times to ensure that I can foin the two halves of the fuselage around them. A little fettling is required to get an easy fit. I took fractions of a millimetre off a couple of the bulkheads and the locating "sockets" for the assemblies on the inside of the fuselage.

I've also built the engines as much as I need to and have made all the control surfaces,which are drying ready for cleaning up.I've also spent hours cleaning up all the rest of the major components.

I'm hoping to get the fuselage joined today so this is the last we'll see of most of this stuff!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another rant,this time about the internet!

Whilst waiting for stuff to dry I googled the Me262 nightfighter and came up with a build by Tom Cleaver. This is what he says about the one I'm building.

"More “experts” have produced more drivel about these airplanes, which has been repeated by other experts (copying from one is plagiarism - copying from many is research), until the actual facts are barely visible. Merrick is also responsible for “Red 10,” which only ever existed in a profile in his book, which was then adopted as a “fact” by the “historians.” In fact, the two Me-262B-1a/U1s were marked as “Red 12" and “White 306" - as shown in the photos in his book."

Well that really is a load of bollocks as well as a personal pop at Ken Merrick,who has done some excellent research on the Luftwaffe and produced some excellent books. I have already posted a picture of this aircraft from "Me262 Vol 3" by Smith and Creek in this thread and have pictures in at least two other books that I own. I was looking at one in Mannfred Griehl's "Jet Planes Of The Third Reich - The Secret Projects" this morning!

He also says in his "review".

"Back in 1998, I had the opportunity to do a long interview with Jorg Czypionka"

Well he didn't listen to him did he? That's the man leaning into the cockpit of "Red 10" in the picture I posted.

There were infact five of these two seat night fighters built (not two). They were.

"Red 4" - WNr.110307

"Red 8" - WNr.110305

"Red 9" - WNr.110306

"Red 10" - WNr.110635

"Red 12" - WNr.111980

From Messerschmitt Me262, The Production Log by Dan O'Connell

I don't think I'll be able to take anything Mr Cleaver writes seriously again.

Rant over

Back to the model

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fuselage zipped up. A couple of minor seam issues to sort out and on to the wings.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Nice work Steve. Very impressive. I like your model stand aslo, a great idea as long as you eat your sandwiches before you start. hehe

Andy

M

msm2

Really nice work,following with interest here. I did come across this website while doing some other research.

Me 262 PROJECT AIRCRAFT PROFILES

B

Bunkerbarge

That's quite an amazing looking interior you've created there and is going to be beautifully displayed through that lovely big bubble canopy. Great detailing and painting job.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps,your words of appreciation and encouragement are MUCH appreciated. I'm going to take a swing at the major wing assemblies today and then I'll start thinking about the camouflage. I may post a seperate thread about this as it is very interesting,noone can be sure what it looked like and,most importantly, all opinions are welcome!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I love this bit!!! I've stuck the wing on and all of a sudden I've got an airplane.

The fit is very good. If anyone else has a go at this kit I suggest sorting out the underside joins first. I had to fettle one bulkhead to get the "skins" to line up flush,but they do line up beautifully. Once you've sorted that you can glue the upper wing to the fuselage. This is actually the exact reverse of how I'd usually do it but seemed the way to go after about the fifth "dry fit". There is no filler in the seams above,I just ran a small amount of superglue in and sanded it before it went too hard.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi steve, that cockpit looks excellent, the belts are great.I really am looking forward to the painting stage,i always liked the look of the nachtjager camo , im sure it will look brilliant, cheers tony