Mercedes SLS AMG 1:24 Revell 07100.

N

Netboy

Just started this one, quite impressed with the kit it seems well made seam lines are minimal and by and large ejector pin marks are hidden by the build. Although a fair few need trimming off as they are visible on the completed model or interfere with the fit of some components. I also have as yet not noticed any obvious sink holes.

Revell seem to have come on by leaps and bounds since I was younger. This was a new tool release in 2010 and although as I mentioned I'm quite impressed with the kit there are a few points that I'm not sure on quality wise so I'll call them out as I get to them during the build

View attachment 120951

107265-b.jpg

First Name
Marc
Ooh nice. Welcome to our forum. Will be following this one.

N

Netboy

I've made a start, got as far as building the engine and starting on the chassis, diff etc. One slightly puzzling issue is while researching online to look at the possibility of adding some detail to the engine bay I couldn't find the exact duplicate of the engine as modelled by Revell so decided to go for a bog standard out the box build on this one.

View attachment 120952

208900-o.jpg

D

Dave1973

It's true that some of these kits do get lax on the detailing, I suppose they think that if the engine bay is being hidden by the bodywork, it'll never be seen anyway.

I'm not at the stage of modifying or making extra bits to make things more realistic, but looking at some of the other pics on here, there's many who are fantastic at it.

Maybe troll though the build threads and get some ideas.

Otherwise, it will still look like a fantastic kit when you're finished!

N

Netboy

\ said:
It's nice box art Del any chance of some sprue shots just to see the detail
Ah! Unfortunately I have already clipped most of the parts off of the sprues. I tend to work page by page of the instructions as my compressor is a cheapie and can't stay running for too long as it overheats. So I am painting one page of parts, trimming, filling, sanding and prepping another page and cutting another page.

I'll post a pic of some of the removed parts.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ah! Unfortunately I have already clipped most of the parts off of the sprues. I tend to work page by page of the instructions as my compressor is a cheapie and can't stay running for too long as it overheats. So I am painting one page of parts, trimming, filling, sanding and prepping another page and cutting another page.
I'll post a pic of some of the removed parts.
Thanks Del but no need if you've already started I shall just watch it come together. A great start by the way

First Name
Marc
\ said:
It's true that some of these kits do get lax on the detailing, I suppose they think that if the engine bay is being hidden by the bodywork, it'll never be seen anyway.
I'm not at the stage of modifying or making extra bits to make things more realistic, but looking at some of the other pics on here, there's many who are fantastic at it.

Maybe troll though the build threads and get some ideas.

Otherwise, it will still look like a fantastic kit when you're finished!
In addition to this you tend to find newer cars by their design have less detail I'm the engine bay as it's covered up with plastic parts which is a shame. Apart from alfa romeo engines.

N

Netboy

Have you seen some of the Zoueki Mura kits? They even have the pistons as a part when you assemble the engines. Incredible detail but is that amount of detail really necessary?

First Name
Marc
\ said:
Have you seen some of the Zoueki Mura kits? They even have the pistons as a part when you assemble the engines. Incredible detail but is that amount of detail really necessary?
Awsome yeah I'd say so. It's knowing that the detail is there to find.

T

Thunderbird

This is a beautiful car and I am sure you will do it justice.

N

Netboy

Work stalled a little as I've been indulging my other hobby, fishing. A week with the lads on a little island called Herm. Drinking way too much, staying out way too late, being teenagers again for a week.

Anyway, managed to start painting some of the bits and pieces. This is a cover that goes over the diff and there are what looks like two vertical sink holes to the rear. Didn't bother to fill them as a little test building indicated that they would be hidden. I was a little unsure if they were sink holes as the cover is a very odd shape.

View attachment 122556

WP_20151018_23_26_23_Rich (2).jpg

Last edited:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great work there shaping up nicely watching with interest. Personally I haven't had a teenage moment in a while now as my recovery time was ever increasing with my age ;) Cheers John