Mercedes SLS AMG 1:24 Revell 07100.

N

Netboy

Busted my airbrush!!!!**^&$£*

I do now have two wheels on my wagon :smiling3: but as I only have the one airbrush work has stalled. Doing prep work instead on this and my group build plane. Parts for airbrush arriving Monday/Tuesday hopefully so will get cracking then. Progress will not be rapid I'm afraid as work is absolutely stupid at the mo, we have two people off long term ill from a six man team and the remaining four have to cover 05:30 to 21:00 seven days a week including days off and holidays. Also been made man A on the new AFTN system which is being installed and commissioned starting Monday, so won't get a day off for nearly a fortnight, luckily I love my job!!

N

Netboy

Sugar! Starting spraying some of the body parts and I think the paint was too thick. The Revell acrylics are, to me, too thick for spraying so I always thin them. I don't think I thinned enough as I have a very slight orange peel thing going on. No matter, flat and respray, we can fix it.

Another lesson on my learning curve!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Sugar! Starting spraying some of the body parts and I think the paint was too thick. The Revell acrylics are, to me, too thick for spraying so I always thin them. I don't think I thinned enough as I have a very slight orange peel thing going on. No matter, flat and respray, we can fix it.
Another lesson on my learning curve!
Try experimenting with distance from airbrush to model, practice on a scrap piece or a plastic spoon.

Orange peel happens when the airbrush is too far from the subject and the paint starts to dry in the air before it hits its target. Also look at adjusting the pressure (if possible) 20-25psi is good. Airbrushing is about practice, mistakes, practice, mistakes, practice, mistakes, practice...........and finally success, you will get there soon and when you do you'll be rewarded a thousand fold. :smiling3:

Hope I don't appear to be patronising. :confused:

First Name
Dave
Also I need you to succeed with this because I've got one on my chrimbo list along with the 300sl that mark is building. No pressure!!!!!!! :smiling3: :smiling3: ;)

N

Netboy

\ said:
Try experimenting with distance from airbrush to model, practice on a scrap piece or a plastic spoon.
Orange peel happens when the airbrush is too far from the subject and the paint starts to dry in the air before it hits its target. Also look at adjusting the pressure (if possible) 20-25psi is good. Airbrushing is about practice, mistakes, practice, mistakes, practice, mistakes, practice...........and finally success, you will get there soon and when you do you'll be rewarded a thousand fold. :smiling3:

Hope I don't appear to be patronising. :confused:
No not at all, good advice. Although in this instance I think the problem was the thickness of the paint.

First Name
Marc
\ said:
No not at all, good advice. Although in this instance I think the problem was the thickness of the paint.
Airbrushing is a very progressive thing. Always do less and then some as apposed to loads on and having to start again

N

Netboy

Well this is the colour I've chosen. It's the colour suggested by the destructions, Ferrari Gloss Red.

Still not happy with it I know I can do better, hopefully a polish will lift it a bit.

WP_20151115_23_38_57_Pro.jpg

N

Netboy

Knickers! Not happy, going to strip the red parts I've already done. I could leave it as is but it would only bug me if I didn't. Sorry, means a slight delay till completion.

N

Netboy

Right, finally made some progress. Work and home has been absolutely stoopid of late.

Not looking forward to Christmas and New Year. Late shift Christmas Eve, on call Christmas Day and early shift on Boxing Day. Also early shift New Years Day so no shenanigans New Years Eve for me.

Anywho, finally got the paint looking okish, have a couple of minor details to add on the doors and then they are finished. Tried to add the symbols on the window buttons but only partially successful.

Work stopped till after Christmas but shifts in January back to normal so might have a bit more to report then.

It does mean that this and my group builds will be late, so bite me!WP_20151223_09_15_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20151223_09_16_03_Pro (2).jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Not sure why I missed this one. But, I'll have watch now........ That is looking really very very good.

N

Netboy

I actually have another one of these in my stash but I've also bought some bolt on goodies photo etch to go with it. Will be interesting to see if the photo etch makes any appreciable difference to the finish and look of the model when I compare the two.

F

Fenlander

A good car build is a pleasure to watch. So many precise techniques need, nice one.