Mr.Smythe's Defiant.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Rapid progress andy , looks great .Have to agree about the instructions though , not a lot of clues as to colours etc ,as for how it should be done , they could take a leaf out of eduards book . Cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Rapid progress andy , looks great .Have to agree about the instructions though , not a lot of clues as to colours etc ,as for how it should be done , they could take a leaf out of eduards book . Cheers tony
Cheers Tony,
Very disappointed about the instructions... Expected more,but I'm no Wingy builder...as you will soon see!! ;) ....

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then... There's been some progress as far as the canopy/turret masks go!! ...
I took my time... It took me quite a while to do them!! :sad:
.. IMG20221208161146.jpg
Yeah, doesn't look much does it!!..
... HOWEVER, for guy like me it was quite the challenge... I mean,(as you can see from the vacated sheet),why do 2 pieces to overlap on a space when you could just do ONE ... They're tricky enough!! ;)
ANYWAY, they're done now, there's a complicated set of circumstances ahead,re camo stuff... But that's for another day ;)
Done the underside ....
IMG20221208161335.jpg
Decided to "dirty" this one up a bit compared to my early forrays into the plane guy's territory!! :smiling3:
That's it so far... Thanks for looking in to my tentative efforts!! ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Very nice progress Mr. Smiff Cohan!!! You are doing a fabulous job building this bird. I bet it wasn't as hard as you first thought. It's also nice to see Andy taking the pictures and posting them for you. I realize it's hard to type with such small hands and fingers. make sure he gives you some extra goodies for dinner tonight too Cohan!!!...

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I always though Airfix instructions all right......
The build part of them I completely agree mate :smiling3: .
It's the the so called paint call outs that I find seriously lacking..
... Maybe it's just my lack of experiance in these kits,... I just expected more..
... It seems to me that when they moved onto the painting guide ... They just didn't think it was particularly important:sad:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
Looking very good mate, really coming on a treat.
Thanks very much Scottie :smiling3:
Slow and steady buddy, nice work
Cheers Mick,"Slow and steady" is the way to go with all those tiny masks!! ;)
Very nice progress Mr. Smiff Cohan!!! You are doing a fabulous job building this bird. I bet it wasn't as hard as you first thought. It's also nice to see Andy taking the pictures and posting them for you. I realize it's hard to type with such small hands and fingers. make sure he gives you some extra goodies for dinner tonight too Cohan!!!...

Prost
Allen
Thank you Mr.Dewire,
It's not so much my tiny hands, it's more my rather long Claws,they can get stuck between the keyboard buttons :sad: Andy has been helping me quite a bit.... although he's still got slot to learn yet.... bless him ;)

ALL,progress has been made here at Defiantville.... An update to follow shortly ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,it took a while to suss out the best way to go about masking up before getting the primer and subsequent coats of paint down.
Wasn't straight forward as the strip behind the turret goes on AFTER the turret is fitted, AND I wasn't the cockpit and turret open,( why make life easy eh?!! :smiling3: )
So,I stuffed a load of White Tac into the closed turret,stuck the closed canopy bit to the front screen,again put in some white Tac to prevent seepage,and loosely fitted the rear strip.....
IMG20221209175415.jpg
Primer put down, forgot to get a pic of that! Then.......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cont'd....
Next the brown,when dried I added the Camo masks,(this is the third kit I've used this type on,and I've now got the hang of it,I really like them :smiling3: )
IMG20221210162051.jpg
Then the green...
IMG20221210171024.jpg
.... Time for the big reveal,(always fun....but at the same time nervy!!)
IMG20221210174213.jpg
Gotta say, I'm rather pleased with that :smiling3: next,any seepage on the tricky bits?......
IMG20221210174522.jpg
..... NAH,Course not !! :smiling3:
So there it is at the mo,concentrate on the crew, turret and last few small bits today.We're definitely on the home straight now.... I've always had a liking for these much maligned planes,but the further I get into this,the bigger that liking is getting!!
Cheers for now,
Andy,(and of course.... Cohan ;) )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking excellent Cohan. You could certainly teach Andy a thing or three…..
Always thought this plane was a solution looking for a problem……a couple of forward firing machine guns might have gone a long way to improving the breed as well.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking excellent Cohan. You could certainly teach Andy a thing or three…..
Always thought this plane was a solution looking for a problem……a couple of forward firing machine guns might have gone a long way to improving the breed as well.
Ha!!.... "A solution looking for a problem"..... I like that!!:tears-of-joy:
Looking good Andy.
Cheers Karl,I seem to remember you saying that you have this one too..... I think you`ll like it,it`s very enjoyable:thumb2:

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's about 5 away on my build list, so a few to do before I get there.
I may even do some armour before I do though, just for a break.
Always good to pop in the odd armour build mate...
... I do just that to keep the old juices flowing ;)
Having said that,my progress is thus......
IMG20221215151014.jpg
Front on there!..
Although I must say, this was indeed a Classic build and was so enjoyable!!
If this is anything to by, then I must admit,I shall look out for future releases with Gusto !!...
Anyway,for now, I've also added some wheelie stuff,and made a tentative start on the associated bits....
IMG20221215174949.jpg
....and the turret (Gotta love a plane with a turret eh?!! ;) )
I'm actually off tomorrow,so this may well get finished by the end of the weekend
Thanks for looking in Chaps,
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy,

Apologies for being behind on this. That's coming on beautifully. Very well done indeed!

Can't be that far off the decals?

ATB.

Andrew