My layout in the making

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Oh that pic it was a glare from the light in the bedroom and i have looked on ebay loads of times but never bought anything,as i never signed up for account with them and i would get things cheaper off ebay but i prefer to buy new from model shops near me or from hattons website.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Just alittle update on my layout i have nearlly finished the fiddle yard just need to laying two more lengths of flexi then done,i have also altered the track plan alittle to make it more better which is the diesel depot and steam shed area as it looked abit naf.

I will post the updated track plan either tonite or tomorrow and photos of the recent work on my layout will follow shortly.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Ok heres my updated track plan i came up with this week this is just the basic track plan without buildings on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/dynamite25/mynewloftlayout2.png

Right i've added the stations and other buildings but this one has the station building at the end and above the station.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/dynamite25/mynewloftlayout.png

And this one has the station building to the side of the station instead of at the end of the station.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/dynamite25/mynewloftlayout4.png

And both have a scenic board to split the countryside from the town side and both need more work doing on them still,also not sure which station idea to go with.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Steven,

Reading all this brings back many memories of making a layout with my father in our cellar at home. The basic board was only 4'x 8' but we had a siding that came off as well to give us a bit more space.

For one Christmas my brother any myself both got some rolling stock and a train each and after we had picked out our train and a few trucks from the Hornby Catalogue we realised that we had both asked for exactly the same amount. 5.50 Pounds!!!

We thought we were really flash as all our points operated from an electric pencil and a board with screw heads that you touched to operate the points motors.

Unfortunalely when my parents moved out of that house a couple of years after I left home they left the layout to the new owners who then promtly dismantled it and I never even saw my rolling stock ever again.

R

rjwood_uk

nice layout there.

personaly i would have the station building where it is in the second picture, purley thinking that i use trains every single day and if i had to walk the length of the platform to get to the train!!! argh

especially as i use cambridge station which has the longest platform in england!!

S

shadowmaker

well good news i have just purchased class 44 001 Scafell Pike off ebay and it is in real good condition ( must concerntrate on buying track and wagons and coaches) i will post some pics of my engines soon!!(mainly peaks though)

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I've finished the fiddle yard atlast but didn't start it till 7:30pm as i couldn't be bothered to go up any earlier but all done now,so now i can have all my trains up there in the fiddle yard and run them around the layout without having to remove them to run another one.

And tomorrow i will get the incline sorted out and maybe start on the upper level for the station area and maybe start the long viaduct.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Got all my trains in the fiddle and they only fill half of the fiddle yard and all have had a lap or two round the layout,also i have fitted my controller box and put one of my H&M 2000 controllers in there so i can control both tracks and i decided to run trains instead of doing the incline.

I might fit all 12 of my peco point motors in the fiddle yard tomorrow and wire them upto the switches so i can change the points instead of getting up all the time to change them by hand,also the incline will get done tomorrow for sure and then it's off the list of things to do.

Pics will follow as soon as i get the digi cam off my brother.

Also the loft window won't be bought now tilll end of july or middle of august as we have decide to wait till after our holiday.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Ok piccy time as i got the digi cam off my brother now.

First pics are of my loco fleet and Rolling Stock.

MyFleet.jpg

MyFleet1.jpg

MyFleet2.jpg

MyFleet3.jpg

MyFleet4.jpg

Next pic is of my Hornby Orient Express train

MyOrientExpress1.jpg

Next two are of my control area and H&M 2000 Controller in it's place

MyControlArea.jpg

MyControlArea2.jpg

Next three pics are of the fiddle Yard at the end i just finished yesterday

OtherHalfofFiddleYard.jpg

OtherHalfofFiddleyard1.jpg

Fiddleyardentry.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Is that the Flying Scotsman pulling the Orient Express?

A few years ago we went on a day trip on the "Northern Belle", a service run in the UK by the Orient Express company. The train was pulled from York to Durham by the Flying Scotsman and it was one of the most memorable and enjoyable journeys I have ever made.

They didn't hold back either so what a flood of memories it brought back to be on a steam train belting through the countryside with all the sounds, smells and experiences that go with it.

I was so gratefull to Richard Branson for helping to keep the train in the UK where it rightfully belongs.

I have a couple of pictures somewhere if you are interested.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Yeh post them Rich always good to see real locos.

R

rjwood_uk

i have also been on it, cant remember when or where as i was quit young.

i do remember having the window down though and my hand up feeling the breeze, we went through a tunnel and as we came out my hand was completely black!

lol.

....i have also seen Thomas the tank engine and all his friend :smiling3:

cant remember where that was either but im sure you all know.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I got the incline sorted today but only that as for two hours i was searching the net while in the loft instead of working on the layout.

Anyway heres what the incline looked like before i changed it.

loftlayoutmiddlesection.jpg

And heres what it looks like now and as you can see i reused the 6x1 board that was under the incline but just turned it over,so the cutout was on the right instead of the left and was easier than buying another 6x2 board just to cut it in half to replace the old one.

NewIncline.jpg

NewIncline1.jpg

N

new to trains

what u need is some nicly modelled retaining walls for the sides of the incline.....!

will pm you !

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi guy i will be having small retaining walls on the incline and taller ones at the back of it and i will be have retaining walls to cover up the gaps under the upper level and thanks for the link in the PM you sent me.

Today i started to cut the 6mm ply sheeting for the upper level but can't do much till the weather picks up as i need to cut my 9mm 4x2 and other left over 9mm sheeting into 2 Inch x 4 Feet strips for the upper level to sit on,so mostly this afternoon i have been just running trains around the layout and also move all my ply sheeting out of my bedroom into the loft.

N

new to trains

i would love to have a layout the size of yours ! - you really have the space to allow all sorts of scenic modelling to be done....

sadly i just dont have the space

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Abit of a update when i come to do the upper level i will need to get into the corners of the layout so on one side i will have a removeable 2ft square board that will have a small village on it,but the otherside i was just going to crawl under the layout to get to the back of it but i thought wait a minute i have a 2ft square piece of baseboard on the lower level that hasn't got a thing on it.

So i will cut that 2ft Square section out so i can get to the back of the layout to work on the upper level but the steam engine sheds sit over that bit on the upper level,so i will make that section removeable so i can get to the back of the layout to work on it and then replace it to operate the layout.

Heres a picture showing what section of baseboard i will be removing but the pic is of the board before the rest of the baseboards were fitted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/dynamite25/Cutout.jpg