My layout in the making

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi John i would do but there's only room for one really as i need to move around the loft to attend to things but could squeeze another person in maybe,but i think for my next layout it will be built outside in a big shed so i have more room to move about but i wish i had £1000 to buy this 20'x10' shed i seen on the net so i could have this one out there but never mind.

Hi Rich my planning keeps changing all the time as i build the layout as i was wondering how to make it easier to re-rail a derailed loco at the back of the fiddle yard,as i can only reach to the second to last track after i increased the height of the upper level by 9mm so i came up with an idea to have the platforms removable so i can get to the rear tracks to clean the rails and to fix and derailed locos.

Barry yes there is alot of lumber in the layout and abit more to go for the upper level which i hope to have the rest of the supports done at the weekend,I'll be glad once all the wood work is done as i can move onto wiring the lower level up and then move onto laying the upper track work and then wire that up.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi rj the fiddle yard will have a board covering the whole area as the station will be above it so the platforms will be made removable to make access better,as the only access will be from the front of the fiddle yard and above through the holes where the platforms will sit in the station as at the back is a big beam thats attached to the rafters with no access to the fiddle yard from the back.

R

rjwood_uk

any possible way of making the track on the platforms easily detachable from the rest, then the board ontop of the fiddle yard with the platforms on top can just be lifted off??

i dont know just an idea!

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
It would just be easier to have the platforms made removable as they will be about 110mm wide to 120mm wide which will be wide enough to fix derailed locos and to clean track,than to have the whole station area removable as the supports i have made for the upper level will be attached to the upper level boards to keep them flat.

R

rjwood_uk

ah! ok, yes then your original idea is probably the best way to go about it!!!

dont pay any attention to me!! lol

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Update Time

Here's a reminder of how the fiddle yard looked before i started the extention at the exit end,but i still need to fit two small pieces of cork under the track and i need to pin the last piece of flexi track at the back where the alloy ruler is.

MyFleet.jpg

And here's pics of the extended fiddle yard.

ExtendedFiddleYard0.jpg

ExtendedFiddleYard1.jpg

ExtendedFiddleYard2.jpg

ExtendedFiddleYard3.jpg

ExtendedFiddleYard4.jpg

ExtendedFiddleYard5.jpg

ExtendedFiddleYard6.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

It always brings back fond memories of my childhood times making my own layout when i see your postings.

I really enjoyed making that and then just playing with it afterwards. I developed a lot of modelling skills on the scenery and buildings that stood me in good stead for years to come.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Managed to get the track pinned down tonite that i had to take up to do the cutout on the other end of the layout and to relay the track i had to reuse some of the cork that was cut up,when it was used on the layout in the bedroom so it's abit of a patch work but won't be noticed when i do the ballasting in afew months time.

Photos to follow tomorrow.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Here's the photos of the track i relayed yesterday and i still need to cut the cork along the track.

Relayedtrack1.jpg

Relayedtrack2.jpg

Relayedtrack3.jpg

Also this weekend i will be fitting some new low watt lighting as the two fluorescent lights i got now are 36 watt and they are to big and give off to much heat,also i will be buying 4 more packs of cork as i ran out of it now so need some more to lay the rest of the track down.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I got a shock tonite from a member on Model Rail forum that my hardboard in the loft on the roof is a fire hazard so now it will be replaced with foil bubble wrapped insulation,i was going to get in the first place but decide not to due to the cost but my dad said he will buy three rolls and i buy two rolls and will still leave me money for the layout.

R

rjwood_uk

as i know nothing about model railways, what is the cork for? is it simply for cushoning and noise dampening?

N

Nigel.D

Steven its really coming on now thanks for keeping us informed i cant wait to see it finished !!! by the way where did you get the xuron sprue cutters from???

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
The cork is really to lift the track of the baseboard so i can bank the ballast up like on the real thing and the xuron track cutters are from hattons and cost £15.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

new to trains

For The Record Xuron Cutters Are Often Listen On Ebay For Alot Less, Got Mine For 8-99

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i have had abit of a tiring weekend as yesterday after we went food shopping we went B&Q in northwich but they didn't have the things i wanted so went to another B&Q but had to stop off at my uncles land to get some cheshires potatoes then we went B&Q in crewe to get my double sided Foil insulation which i bought two rolls and cost £43.96,and then bought my cork tiles from wickes which cost me about £23 but today we went to focus were we live and they had the same insulation there but they had a 1mx7m roll for £16.66 aswell as the 600mmx7.5m for £16.66 and cork tiles for £5.99.

So we went back to crewe to get a refund on the insulation and the cork tiles to go buy them from focus and i bought two 1mx7m rolls of the insulation and i will buy another one next weekend and i bought 3 packs of cork tiles,i also bought a new Staple gun to staple the insulation to the rafters but after all that i am to tired to go into the loft to start to remove the hardboard so i will do that tomorrow now.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Both sides of the loft now have the foil bubble wrap insulation on them apart from the apex as i need another roll to complete it which i will have at the week end,and i must say it does keep it cooler than before but i can still feel the heat coming through the top as there is no insulation there till the weekend it also has Double AirTec printed on it.

I also moved the lights to the other side but higher up to the apex and closer to the middle of the loft to get light there but now have lost light at the ends so i will need to buy some small fluorescent lights for the ends of the loft,and i didn't get the lights rewired up till 8pm as some of the wire broke off the ends so it took longer to do and i have alot of cleaning up to do and a load of hardboard to throw away and alot of rusty nails to pick up.

Layout work should restart sometime at the weekend once the insulation is all done plus i need more staples for the staple gun as i am running out now.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I decided to remove the hardboard from the loft tonite instead of at the weekend and stuck it outside behind the fence so my mum doesn't see it,and thought i would take two photos to show how the loft looks at the moment.

Loftinsulation0.jpg

Loftinsulation1.jpg

In the pic above the hardboard is there on the layout but is now outside as i took the photos before i removed it.

At the weekend i will have the other 1mx7m roll and the foil tape to seal all the joints and i hope to have it done by Sunday,but at the moment i need to take it easy as i have done my left shoulder muscles in so i need to rest it now till the weekend

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I wish i bought this insulation last year as it has made the loft alot cooler to work in as the sun has been shining all day and it hasn't got warm up there at all,so i have been up there this evening to do abit of tidying up and stapled a small piece of the insulation to the rafters near the chimney but have another piece on the other side to do.

Also my parents have decided to do the food shopping tomorrow so i will get the other roll of insulation tomorrow now and fit in on Saturday so i have more time at the weekend to work on the layout,also while i away on holiday i am might buy something for the layout as there is a model shop near where we are going so i'll nip in there to see what they have got in.