New guy !

• Thread starter Harley Vallance
  • Start date
H

Harley Vallance

Hi people ! New to the forum, new to modelling, iv been into RC drifting for a while so Iv had fun doing the body shells but wanted a bit more realism. So went ahead and bought a Aoshima greddy/rocket bunny speed hunters Toyota gt86 scale set. Looking forward to attempting it and sharing it with you guys. Pictures to follow !

P

Polux

Welcome to the forum "Harley" :smiling3:

Interesting project, I will be waiting for your pics ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi and welcome to the forum Harley. :D

will be looking forward to seeing your builds, ;)

H

Harley Vallance

View attachment 91879

This is what the finished product looks like should you follow the in box instructions, I'm not sure how wild or tame I'll go with it yet as I'm completely new to this.

It arrived today so I'll upload some unboxing photos over the next couple days or so.

Who else on here likes to do cars or in particular cars of this nature ? Aoshima have a rather broad range, surely someone on here has built one ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415310954.076155.jpg

L

Lady Phoenix

Welcome to the forums my friend. One thing about this forum, apart from the high level of friendlyness is that no matter how complex the question there is someone who can either come up with the answer or figure out a way to find the answer.

I love this forum, just in case it doesnt show up enough :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

I agree with penny this IS the friendliest forum on the net, bar none, I love this forum and if forced to choose between all the others I am on or this one, I am afraid this one would win. You have made an excellent choice my friend welcome aboard.

H

Harley Vallance

Thanks for all the warm greetings, just a few 'newbie' questions ..

What would people say the 'minimum' requirements as far as tools go are ?

What's the best glue ?

What products are people painting their models with ?

L

Laurie

Hi Harley welcome to this place.

First have a good look through John's shop. Green window top of the page.

If it is plastic a popular one is Mr Cement S or Tamiya Thin Cement.

Morton Knife and Blades. Snipper for sprue cutting. Strip sanders. Rolls of masking tape. Tweezers good ones stainless steel sprung.

That is a start. Others will add to it.

Laurie

H

Harley Vallance

\ said:
Hi Harley welcome to this place.First have a good look through John's shop. Green window top of the page.

If it is plastic a popular one is Mr Cement S or Tamiya Thin Cement.

Morton Knife and Blades. Snipper for sprue cutting. Strip sanders. Rolls of masking tape. Tweezers good ones stainless steel sprung.

That is a start. Others will add to it.

Laurie
Nice ! Cheers for the heads up, I'll check it out !

L

Lady Phoenix

If I may give my own opinions?

\ said:
What would people say the 'minimum' requirements as far as tools go are ?
As few as you can get away with and can afford.

I personally manage with files, sprue cutter and a knife so sharp it will cut your finger without you noticing :smiling3:

Everything else is obvious, like paints, brushes etc

\ said:
What's the best glue ?
One that fulfils two requirements

a) It sticks

b) You are happy with the results

\ said:
What products are people painting their models with ?
Paint

But serious, again, whatever works best for you. I personally go for Humbrol Acylics, if I cant get those then Velejo Model Air, then Velejo Model Colour, then Humbrol Enamel then anything (COnsidering Tamiya ATM)

As PP said, JOhns shop is a great place. I used him this week for the first time ever and I found the service good, so I used him again and the service was even better still. John will now be my no.1 choice, and if you cant decide what to get just by looking then give him a ring, his advice is as good as the service he provides

D

Deleted member 3568

Set of clamps (your wives/ girlfriends/significant others) pegs elastic bands masking tape(all for holding kits together whilst they dry)

H

Harley Vallance

\ said:
Set of clamps (your wives/ girlfriends/significant others) pegs elastic bands masking tape(all for holding kits together whilst they dry)
Clamps ?

D

Deleted member 3568

Or these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/model-making-clamps

There are hundreds of variations for clamps depending on what you are trying to hold together and how badly warped the parts are (yes you will be surprised how many kits have warped parts)

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome to the asylum

Enjoy your stay

Lee :smiling3: