New guy !

• Thread starter Harley Vallance
  • Start date
First Name
Gregg
Welcome on board Harley, looking forward to your posts/pictures!

Gregg

H

Harley Vallance

I'll do an 'unboxing' tomorrow and post pictures !

T

Tone M

Welcome along Harley :D

I wouldn't mind building up the Subaru BRZ, I just don't get why it's more expensive than the Toyota lol

H

Harley Vallance

\ said:
Welcome along Harley :D I wouldn't mind building up the Subaru BRZ, I just don't get why it's more expensive than the Toyota lol
This kit comes with RHD/LHD options, and you can make to suit either USDM, EUDM or JDM.

So either the Toyota 86, Toyota gt86 or the Scion FR-S

T

Tone M

\ said:
This kit comes with RHD/LHD options, and you can make to suit either USDM, EUDM or JDM.So either the Toyota 86, Toyota gt86 or the Scion FR-S
Some good options there!

Pretty rare having anything more than left or right hand drive ;)

H

Harley Vallance

\ said:
Some good options there! Pretty rare having anything more than left or right hand drive ;)
I have no idea, Iv never done one before lol

H

Harley Vallance

I got it from Kent models, they only had a few black speed hunters ones left but they got a few red ones in. I paid just under £35 inc 24hr courier

T

Tone M

Not bad mate ;)

Saved that site to favourites lol, got some nice 'different' stuff :D

H

Harley Vallance

They pride themselves on 'hard to find' products ..

If money was no object id buy there whole stockroom lol

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Thanks for all the warm greetings, just a few 'newbie' questions .....

What products are people painting their models with ?
I have never done a small car (many on this forum do) but on my Rolls Royce 1/16 Phantom, I used Tamiya Synthetic Lacquer (spray can). It gives a very glossy mirror-like shine (all cars need that):

View attachment 92083

It is harder than acrylic gloss paint so it can be sanded lightly and polished if any spraying faults occur. Provided you can master the technique of spraying from a can (keep the nozzle about 18 inches away from the model) it is easy to use and there is no cleaning of an airbrush needed. The disadvantage is that its solvent is Cellulose Thinners which are very smelly and not for a confined place. I use it in my garage.

Luggage Box.jpg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
\ said:
What products are people painting their models with ?
That really depends on you. Most of us started with rattle cans and then later upped our game to air brush. ;)

To start off, the rattle cans are great and straight forward! :smiling3:

Not to mention a tad cheaper on initial outlay....o_O

BTW, welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay, 'cos you'll never leave........... ;)

H

Harley Vallance

Iv been spraying lexan RC shells for some time now, so I'm dead handy with a spray can. Thanks for all the kind words of advice guys !

S

Stevekir

\ said:
That really depends on you. Most of us started with rattle cans and then later upped our game to air brush. ;) .......
I went the other way! After painting exclusively with an airbrush, I diverted to the Tamiya spray can simply because the paint did what I wanted for that particular model. Now I'm back to acrylics, airbrushed.

H

Harley Vallance

http://www.kentmodels.co.uk/glues-and-accessories/humbrol-modellers-tool-set-medium

Would this be a good kit to start myself off with ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Harley. Hope you enjoy the mad house!

That tool set should get you on the way. Not sure about those clamps though. They might come in handy some how...

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
http://www.kentmodels.co.uk/glues-and-accessories/humbrol-modellers-tool-set-mediumWould this be a good kit to start myself off with ?
I think it would. All (except perhaps for the snips) are standard tools frequently used by most plastic modellers. They would get you started and with experience, gained by using these tools, you will have a good idea of what others you would need.

H

Harley Vallance

Little updates

Got myself a nice little table and lamp in my dining room now. That'll be my modelling area for now. Iv purchased the modelling tools I mentioned previously so cannot wait for them to arrive so I can get cracking. And also found myself a rare little gem on eBay, so I snatched it up !

View attachment 92445

View attachment 92446

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415880878.459379.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415880904.326116.jpg

H

Harley Vallance

A

Aurora

if you let me i would like to suggest some items to buy. they are essentials if you are building civilian cars.

1- Tamiya Masking tape http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-87034-Masking-Tape-Refill-10mm-for-87031-/331134423600?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4d19265230 i suggest to use tamiya

2- Finishing abrasives P100-P400-P800-P1200-P2000 (i use theese numbers) example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-87060-Finishing-Abrasives-P2000-3pcs-per-pack-/371221358691?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item566e846863 you can use any brand you want ;)

3- Decal setting solution http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-87060-Finishing-Abrasives-P2000-3pcs-per-pack-/371221358691?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item566e846863 this is must must

4- Tamiya Polishing compound set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-87068-87069-87070-Polishing-Compound-Coarse-Fine-Finish-Craft-Tools-Set-/171598543191?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item27f411f957 this item is very important

5- Adhesive for transparent parts like head lights glass etc. for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Contacta-Clear-13g-39609-100g-20-76-/360884868021?pt=Modellbauwerkzeuge&hash=item54066a13b5

6- Bare metal folio.

tamiya masking tapes are designed for this work. they never leave any adhesive etc on the model. i used some other items and had big troubles. you already know about decal setting solutions and microscales are the best around. dont be cheese pincher and buy them, they lasts for years :smiling3: abrasives are needed after after finishing varnish. you need to apply abrasives from low number to high number like i wrote up. this process is basicly sanding. you can apply different numbers from i wrote but you should end up using P2000. this sand are applied with water, i mean wet-sanding. after applying sand you should apply tamiya compound set. the sequance is coarse-fine-finish. from my point of view you can skip coarse. at the end you will have mirror like cars in geneve mototor show :smiling3: i suggest to use adhesives like revell contacta clear for transparent parts. they are weak and invisible. you wont see them after applying it. Bare metal folio is good for incrasing realisim. if your kit doesnt have chrome parts for head light etc.. you should apply BMF behind the transparent part and you will get realistic shine behind the transparent part. also you can apply BMF to side mirrors if you dont have PE parts for mirrors. you can apply BMF with white glue.

i hope this helps