Pacific Carrier/Aircraft chat thread.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Now we can start getting excited.

Just a reminder, "Any carrier or carrier based aircraft from the war in the Pacific."
Starting 1st May and ending 31st July '23

I will allow the Doolittle raids as well as those 4 Jugs that flew CAP off the Manilla Bay. As those were active combat missions flown off carriers. Also figures, suitably based, in case anyone has a wedgie, and not the school bully kind.

Believe it or not I haven't decided which kit I will do yet, only it'll be a 1/48 wingy thing, but I do know I'll have to buy at least paint, time to give AK Real a proper go.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What about sections of a carrier? I’m half entertaining the idea of a quad Bofors anti-aircraft gun, but don’t hold me to it :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just for fun I was looking at carriers today why are Japanese carriers so expensive. £250 is for a 1/350 ! I could get a 1/200 USS XXX for less!
So I be looking at an aircraft me thinks.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just for fun I was looking at carriers today why are Japanese carriers so expensive. £250 is for a 1/350 ! I could get a 1/200 USS XXX for less!
So I be looking at an aircraft me thinks.
Japan plaza is worth a look Ian, i bought the new tool tamiya yamoto,hasegawa nagato in 1/350 and wood decks for both, £350 delivered. Saved about 150 quid at least.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Postie arrived this morning and left me this.....

I'm now good to go Houston! Well,1st. May anyway.

View attachment 469860

Cheers.
Ron
I'm still deciding, my FAA subjects will require some AM decals, so that leaves some USN planes or a brace of Zeros. (Though a few carriers are in my eBay watch list, if I get an offer I may bite )

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
Postie arrived this morning and left me this.....

I'm now good to go Houston! Well,1st. May anyway.

View attachment 469860

Cheers.
Ron

you have got time to get the aftermarket pe set for it

its the reason i havnt started the one in my stash.......you get to replace the undercarriage and add a prop on all of the 1/700 scale aircraft! :flushed:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Na, sorry chaps. I have little or no time for wasting my pennies on aftermarket stuff, which would cost a darn sight more than I paid for the kit.

I get all the fun I need building O.O.B. ( or I might have extra fun and add a bit of home made scratchery.) Not to this vessel though.

None the less, thanks for the suggestion, Paul. :thumb2:

Ebenezer Scrooge II

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Keep having good ideas, that aren't so good anyway. Still loads of time to find something.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
When Karl first kicked this idea off, it looked like, and was mentioned, that 99% of folks interested in this G.B. were thinking of building an aircraft. Even the original title was under threat.

Thinks me- I'll be different and build a carrier. Now it looks like we could well have a fleet of the things....

All good stuff and potentially a more varied type of 'Entry' :thumb2:

Merry Christmas.
Chester William 'Chet' Nimitz Jr.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Still on the fence with about three kits.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Na, sorry chaps. I have little or no time for wasting my pennies on aftermarket stuff, which would cost a darn sight more than I paid for the kit.

I get all the fun I need building O.O.B. ( or I might have extra fun and add a bit of home made scratchery.) Not to this vessel though.

None the less, thanks for the suggestion, Paul. :thumb2:

Ebenezer Scrooge II
I have to agree with you there Ron, sometimes I've thrown loads of aftermarket and P.E. at a build and not really seen the benefit, and then built something straight O.O.B. and really enjoyed using paintwork to make the details pop...
I'm not saying all aftermarket stuff isn't worth it, but sometimes you just have to go with how the kit was originally designed and use what you know to make it work...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's me thinking I would be doing summat different from the norm.. It is - Just. ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Plenty of choice there Dave. You could build 'em all!

Also, thanks for the interesting link, but I'm a O.O.B. merchant. I would presume there are some sort of aircraft in with the kit that will suffice.....

Ron