Pacific Carrier/Aircraft chat thread.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Maybe it's time to learn how to do your own masks.........
I'm sure if you ask you'll get more options than in a box of Quality Street.
Hmmm, possibly.... I have kept all the unused bits from previous sets,I could try and fashion some out of them I guess.
OR, gamble,and trim/add to,any of the Hasegawa type ones that don't quite fit.....

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
....or brush paint them.

Then you won't need to mask anything! ;) ;)
That’s how I always have painted mine I never used those annoying mask. I paint with Acrylic paint then take a Cocktail stick and scratch off my Boo Boos lol.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Trouble with that is Ron,I don't think my brush painting "skills" are up to such fine and straight lines! :sad:
Use a Cocktail stick to clean up your mistakes that’s what I do. I also use one to paint with.I always try to paint the canopy first that way if the build has beat me down I don’t have to look forward to painting that dreadful canopy.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Use a Cocktail stick to clean up your mistakes that’s what I do. I also use one to paint with.I always try to paint the canopy first that way if the build has beat me down I don’t have to look forward to painting that dreadful canopy.

Yes the cleaning up with a cocktail stick can give surprisingly good results.

Thanks guys,I might just give the "Cocktail method" a go :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You could always try the decal trick. Take a bit of clear decal print paper and spray a bit with interior colour, let dry over night, then spray the outside colour. Leave that to dry and cure! Razor sharp blade and cut into strips the next day. apply as a decal! It works. bit of clear coat once dry and you're golden.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You could always try the decal trick. Take a bit of clear decal print paper and spray a bit with interior colour, let dry over night, then spray the outside colour. Leave that to dry and cure! Razor sharp blade and cut into strips the next day. apply as a decal! It works. bit of clear coat once dry and you're golden.
Wow!! That sounds interesting...
... never heard of that before...
... nice one Ian. :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
HA!!!... I'm very tempted to try both of the above methods on old,unused canopies and see how I get on. :smiling3:
.... I can imagine the Yorkie in you means that you've got a pot on the bench of cocktail sticks,some of which are not only VERY old,but down to about 15mm long !! ;)

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I'm a cocktail stick user too.

I did buy a masking kit for my Mossie last year but ai don't think it saved me any time. I don't bother these days. Brush paint as best I can, the clean with a cocktail stick.ot works for me.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
You can sharpen the cocktail stick to any shape, to reach those awkward corners ( and it makes the cocktail stick last longer! ;) )
Dave
And they're even good to poke into family members when they stick their noses into your build and say ''oh!..you're playing with your toys again !!''