Pete's Beaufighter

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hoping this will be a relief after my Mosquito!P1170413.JPGP1170414.JPGP1170415.JPGP1170416.JPGP1170417.JPGP1170418.JPG
Looks good, nice crisp mouldings with fine recessed surface detail. Just a trace of flash on some parts, but rather a lot of ejection marks. Most are in places that won't be seen, which is just as well as they'd be impossible to sand. I'll put a drop of Me Dissolved Putty in the worst ones.
Dry fitting the fuselage halves together, they're almost a snap-fit - locating tabs on both halves so they interlock.

There are two schemes offered - one is a 1949 one based in Malaya, with a black underside, the other an RNZAF example based in Scotland in 1945. I'm going to build the RNZAF version so it can carry a torpedo, as we don't see many of those. I'm not sure about the additional armament though, as sources state that the wing machine guns were sometimes removed when a torpedo was carried, and some state the the machine guns were removed when rockets were carried. I'm tempted to forget about realism and add the rockets as well as the torpedo. The only evidence of wing guns in this kit are the inspection panels and the cartridge ejection ports, so I think I'm OK to use the rockets. They're too nicely moulded to leave them off!

More later
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks interesting Peter. Surface detail looks decent, nice that the tail dihedral is moulded in as well. I assume it’s 1/72, but who is the manufacturer?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Pete i'll be followin this as it looks a good build an must have build half a dozen when i was a youngin
chrisb

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your clean spray booth and new filter have been noted Peter . Anymore of these startling reports of being tidy will have you banned from the untidy bench club UBC .
Other than that a interesting looking kit .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Your clean spray booth and new filter have been noted Peter . Anymore of these startling reports of being tidy will have you banned from the untidy bench club UBC .
Other than that a interesting looking kit .
YEA Pete all that tidy bench Aaaaaacccchhhhhh as you dont want to be kicked out of the UBC do you ?

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Pete, you can get the whole kit in her now!!! It must be a bit odd to step down from 1/32 to 1/72 for your eyes though. Great start and if you don't mind me being nosy, what's that for an automobile on the left in the booth???..........

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
YEA Pete all that tidy bench Aaaaaacccchhhhhh as you dont want to be kicked out of the UBC do you ?
Don't worry Chris, I only moved the junk to another part of the bench! ;)
Wow Pete, you can get the whole kit in her now!!! It must be a bit odd to step down from 1/32 to 1/72 for your eyes though. Great start and if you don't mind me being nosy, what's that for an automobile on the left in the booth???..........

Prost
Allen
It's actually easier on the eyes Allen - the parts are crisply moulded, the Mossie parts looked out of focus! The car is most of an Airfix Triumph Herald that I use as a paint mule. (I learnt to drive in a Herald in the mid-sixties.)
Looks nice. We don't see many Beaufighters built.
No, we don't. Surprising really.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Moving slowly towards closing up the fuselage:
P1170420.JPG
A bit of painted detail on the cockpit sides, the tailwheels are finished, as are the pilots.
Whhops! Nearly forgot the IP! Need to paint that black and add the decal.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Pete,
Just had a read through this, looking good :smiling3:
I recently purchased a 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter myself,(after spending quite a while deciding on which kit !),as I built an Airfix one when a young boy in the mid 70s and had a liking for them ever since :smiling3:
I look forward to watching this develop from here on in :smiling3:
Andy