Phils' Dragon Me262A-1/U4

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys thanks for all your help on my first build.

So here we are and I've gone to the dark side for this one and it should be a good challenge.

I have purchased some AM including instrument decals and bezels, seatbelts, a resin engine, wheels and a Alu and brass cannon.

I have also purchased some more tools including a cordless multi tool and some RLM paints from Vallejo and Hataka along with other bits and pieces.

Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes on the spitfire and of course will be asking for advice here and there along the way from you guys, but here's to a good build.

Cheers

Phil

View attachment 113434

View attachment 113435

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good start Phil. Lots of extras in that build, watching with interest.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Nice start Phil and some great additions I will watch this one if you don't mind
Of course, all watchers very welcome, but be warned you may have to be a little patient with me

First Name
Richard
\ said:
but be warned you may have to be a little patient with me
Well i got a very lazy chair.

Cheers Richi

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

very fine job mate. BTW, the work that you will be doing will be very worth it. The 262's instrument panel is set forward, making it very visible

Cheers, John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So it's slow process as always and I've had trouble getting the bezels on in one hit without making a mess. As John mentioned to me I quickly realised it was getting crammed in there.

Seems as though the bezels are more true to 1/48 scale and the panel just isn't big enough, there is a lot of stopping and wondering shall I carry on or make another panel front from scratch or should I buy Eduards hobbyboss (this definitely would have been the easiest).

I have had to trim the side panel to the right of the main panel to fit all the dials on and I think I've got away with it, I'm going to carry on and finish it but would like some feedback if possible?

What do you think and what would you guys do?

Carry on or go for a scratching a new one or Eduard pe?

Thanks in advance

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
So it's slow process as always and I've had trouble getting the bezels on in one hit without making a mess. As John mentioned to me I quickly realised it was getting crammed in there.
Seems as though the bezels are more true to 1/48 scale and the panel just isn't big enough, there is a lot of stopping and wondering shall I carry on or make another panel front from scratch or should I buy Eduards hobbyboss (this definitely would have been the easiest).

I have had to trim the side panel to the right of the main panel to fit all the dials on and I think I've got away with it, I'm going to carry on and finish it but would like some feedback if possible?

What do you think and what would you guys do?

Carry on or go for a scratching a new one or Eduard pe?

Thanks in advance
The instrument panel looks fine. Keep on sticking at it. You already made it, so keep on at it.

Cheers, John

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Cool looking build and a nice start will be keeping up with this

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great start!! :smiling3:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys, not mate much progress as I haven't had a great deal of time, an hour here an hour there...

I am taking it steady on the office though and I feel I'm already getting a better build than my first model. I have scratched all of the instruments and a handle on the panel out of some pulled sprue. Still got a way to go yet on the cockpit but another couple of hours should do it.

I may have to scratch a gunsight for it as there wasn't one with the kit, or maybe the me 262 a1a/u4 didn't have one, it's hard to find reference to one but I have read that "most" variants had a gunsight which makes me wonder wether it did? Especially as there was only two built and the 50mm was straight out in front.

Any views?

Cheers

Phil

View attachment 114415

View attachment 114416

image.jpg

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice job mate. The throttles do look nice. How are your finding the Dragon PE? BTW, the kit PE seatbelts are actually really good, so it is worth it looking at it. If not, they are great for the spares.

John

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi guys, not mate much progress as I haven't had a great deal of time, an hour here an hour there...
I am taking it steady on the office though and I feel I'm already getting a better build than my first model. I have scratched all of the instruments and a handle on the panel out of some pulled sprue. Still got a way to go yet on the cockpit but another couple of hours should do it.

I may have to scratch a gunsight for it as there wasn't one with the kit, or maybe the me 262 a1a/u4 didn't have one, it's hard to find reference to one but I have read that "most" variants had a gunsight which makes me wonder wether it did? Especially as there was only two built and the 50mm was straight out in front.

Any views?

Cheers

Phil
The only 262 to not have a gunsight was the recon U3 version that I did. However, some U3s did have gunsights, depending on where they were built. I have a spare Me 262 gunsight, so if you want one, send me a pm

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Also, I hate to tell you this mate, but the cockpit colour is definitely not RLM 66. dragon's colours are often questionable, especially in their aircraft kits. Unless you are using white light, and that is making things look lighter, RLM 66 was a very dark grey

John

View attachment 114417

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/luft/me/109/32109b.jpg
32109b.jpg

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice start Phil,like the attention to detail for the cockpit, ;)

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I have a spare Me 262 gunsight, so if you want one, send me a pm
John
Do you think I should add one then John?

What's it like and how much do you want for it?

\ said:
Nice job mate. The throttles do look nice. How are your finding the Dragon PE? BTW, the kit PE seatbelts are actually really good, so it is worth it looking at it. If not, they are great for the spares.
John
On your original advice I bought some Edward belts so I may use them, regarding the cockpit colour I wasn't sure what to do but loosely followed dragons kit. Not much I can do about it now I have seen quite a few shots with the lighter grey colour so I went for it, I think the bright light may be making it look worse and when the fuse goes round it probably won't look to bad... I hope.

Cheers