Phils' Dragon Me262A-1/U4

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Do you think I should add one then John?
What's it like and how much do you want for it?

On your original advice I bought some Edward belts so I may use them, regarding the cockpit colour I wasn't sure what to do but loosely followed dragons kit. Not much I can do about it now I have seen quite a few shots with the lighter grey colour so I went for it, I think the bright light may be making it look worse and when the fuse goes round it probably won't look to bad... I hope.

Cheers
I will tell you in a pm, and entail the details. ;)

No problems. I have done this before a few times, so you are not alone. On the other hand, you are probably right, it must be the light. A matt coat and a dark cockpit should tone it down a bit once the fuselage closes up

John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
A little more done, I have been trying to source some suitable cabling for the instrument panel and tried a few different mediums before settling on some old earphone wire. Not the ideal colour but used red and green to add interest, again no real reference photos for this particular variant so feel I have a bit of a free run.

Pleased with the Eduard pe belts which I have weathered to make them pop and think they look really decent.

Another few sessions and I should be out of the tub... Looking forward to it now.

As always any comments/critique welcome

Cheers

Phil

View attachment 114996

View attachment 114997

View attachment 114998

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Looks good mate. Good to see you are following the referencing I gave you about the wiring looms. Also, for the KG control stick, you got the top colours the opposite way round. Metal/silver for the gun cover button cap and RLM 66 for the surrounds. BTW, the interior colours look a lot more better now, with less white light.

Next time you use the PE seatbelts, try to make them look less "bent" and more "crumpled". I often drop three minuscule drops of cyanoacrylate on the reverse of the belts to make it sit more realistically, especially on the back. For the lap seatbelts, I do the same, but attach it to the seat before the seat is installed. Otherwise, the weathering looks good

Cheers, John

Last edited:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
This is looking really good Phil.......... I'm going to tag along and watch your progress.

T

tommy1drop

Nice detailing in the cockpit, looking forward to seeing more;)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great work on the office!! :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The turned barrel looks to be of nice quality. Are you doing an open breech and open cannon bay or all closed up? I have never seen a modeller do a 262U4 with an open cannon bay. There are plenty of photos of 262U4s with open breeches and bays, so it would be nice to see something different

Of note, you should prime all the turned metal parts. Or, even better, slightly scuff up the metal with a scotch pad, then apply cellulose based Mr Surfacer 1000, then apply the real colours. This will impart an extremely tough adhesion to the metal to paint.

John

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
The turned barrel looks to be of nice quality. Are you doing an open breech and open cannon bay or all closed up? I have never seen a modeller do a 262U4 with an open cannon bay. There are plenty of photos of 262U4s with open breeches and bays, so it would be nice to see something different
Of note, you should prime all the turned metal parts. Or, even better, slightly scuff up the metal with a scotch pad, then apply cellulose based Mr Surfacer 1000, then apply the real colours. This will impart an extremely tough adhesion to the metal to paint.

John
Hi john

Just had a late one, yes I am going to have a open cannon bay, although I must say I have not seen any pics of a open bay with the 50mm cannon that I can remember.

Funnily enough I glued then lightly keyed the barrel before two light coats of Vallejo primer, I waited for it to dry then added two light dusts of alclad II steel followed with a dust of alclad II burnt iron on the muzzle.

It's a subtle contrast but it's come out very nice and I'm happy with the result.

Assembled cannon picture hopefully tomorrow night along with some weathered internal fuse pics.

Cheers

Phil

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi john
Just had a late one, yes I am going to have a open cannon bay, although I must say I have not seen any pics of a open bay with the 50mm cannon that I can remember.

Funnily enough I glued then lightly keyed the barrel before two light coats of Vallejo primer, I waited for it to dry then added two light dusts of alclad II steel followed with a dust of alclad II burnt iron on the muzzle.

It's a subtle contrast but it's come out very nice and I'm happy with the result.

Assembled cannon picture hopefully tomorrow night along with some weathered internal fuse pics.

Cheers

Phil
I can send you a few photos of open ones if you want

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi john

Cheers

Phil
When using large metal pieces, I use a hand blowtorch and solder iron and solder, and bond metal to metal. A much more effective method than glue

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
\ said:
Here you go
You don't think this nose looks to big do you??o_O;) :smiling3:

Damn, they sure were in a rush to shoot down those Allied bombers!!:eek:

The down side with larger calibre weapons is that you are restricted to the amount of ammo that you can carry as you have already imposed a massive weight penalty by fitting the cannon. Another issue is that you have to very accurate with the limited ammo to realise the benefits of firing such a large explosive projectile.:oops::confused: :sad:

I'm not too sure that bigger is always better.......just look at the Maus.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
You don't think this nose looks to big do you??o_O;) :smiling3:
Damn, they sure were in a rush to shoot down those Allied bombers!!:eek:

The down side with larger calibre weapons is that you are restricted to the amount of ammo that you can carry as you have already imposed a massive weight penalty by fitting the cannon. Another issue is that you have to very accurate with the limited ammo to realise the benefits of firing such a large explosive projectile.:oops::confused: :sad:

I'm not too sure that bigger is always better.......just look at the Maus.
still don't understand why they call it the maus/mouse.

The reason why it (262) never entered mainstream production, was because the large calibre flak gun would jam at high Gs, especially when reloading

John

First Name
Robert
Just caught up on this and after reading comments etc think I'll tag along from here on in

Looking good so far Phil, I did the me262 last year with the six cannon and what I can remember there were no fit issues and enjoyed the kit however never put in all the wiring like you have

Awesome office ( lots of colour and interest there so far

Regards

Robert