Phils' Dragon Me262A-1/U4

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The piping looks great.. stay on the medium-light side on weathering as these aircraft were only 1-3 months old when they entered production., especially the prototypes. There should be a seen difference in hte nose section to the fuselage and wings in terms of weathering. The engine should look fairly new as well, as these were replaced every 3 days or so. Unless you are aiming for a museum aircraft, (which there are none of the U4)

Cheers, John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I've seen these john, sorry I thought you meant a more detailed photo of inside the bay. I don't think such a photo exists although I have found some photos of the cannon alone inside a museum
Cheers

Phil
I do have a pic of a U4 looking onto the flak gun from above. That is the best pic I have, but I will have to find it

First Name
Robert
\ said:
The piping looks great.. stay on the medium-light side on weathering as these aircraft were only 1-3 months old when they entered production., especially the prototypes. There should be a seen difference in hte nose section to the fuselage and wings in terms of weathering. The engine should look fairly new as well, as these were replaced every 3 days or so. Unless you are aiming for a museum aircraft, (which there are none of the U4)
Cheers, John
Hi john

Now your obviously an ME 262 nut!! Pardon the pun but from my research into this aircraft and its derivatives did the me262 when it first went under testing have a tail drag landing gear? I'm sure I saw a you tube video on this. Now it would be nice to see an early version of this in kit form other than the experimental versions that eduard do?

Do you know how

1 I would be able to obtain the kit for a latter project

2 if such aircraft existed what was the serial no or build number for reference purposes ( 1/48 would be my preferred kit build

Regards

Robert

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi john
Now your obviously an ME 262 nut!! Pardon the pun but from my research into this aircraft and its derivatives did the me262 when it first went under testing have a tail drag landing gear? I'm sure I saw a you tube video on this. Now it would be nice to see an early version of this in kit form other than the experimental versions that eduard do?

Do you know how

1 I would be able to obtain the kit for a latter project

2 if such aircraft existed what was the serial no or build number for reference purposes ( 1/48 would be my preferred kit build

Regards

Robert
Yes. I am an me 262 nut- look at my avatar! Yes I think special hobby or one of the Czech manufacturers do it. I would like to do an early prototype German Me 262. I saw it at the Australian model expo, but I had burnt my budget limit by then:D

-High Planes do an Me 262V1

-MPM Me 262V9

Oh and for your info, Revell do excellent 1/72 luft 46 in mainstream production

Special hobby also do an He 280 for your reference

John

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Turns out trying to fit the fuselage together was difficult what with the massive gun and loses panels, a little shaving here and there and it's together.

The gun once glued onto its seat turned out to be a little out of alignment which was an absolute pig to rectify but I killed two birds with one stone by jamming one side with some non toxic lead fishing weights which shifted it slightly and added a little weight as these birds are a little tail heavy.

I then realised the gun loading door/hatch wouldn't be able to be opened due to the poor mould of the access panel but that has now been shaved and hopefully I'm there.

The worst thing is that I had to open the hole up for the slightly bigger but more accurate aftermarket gun barrel, it's been glued but I'll have to be careful not to knock it now until the end.

Comments welcomed as always

Cheers

Phil

View attachment 115976

View attachment 115977

View attachment 115978

View attachment 115979

View attachment 115980

View attachment 115981

View attachment 115982

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

With aftermarket accessories, you ALWAYS have to be ready for shaving and modifications. I sometimes have to use my razor saw, and hack out chunks of plastic before putting in the engine or replacement gunbay.

Also another thing, All sorts of protrusions (yes, this also means a big whopping flak gun on a 262:eek:smiling3: should be left until the painting has been completed and most of teh things have been done. Take note of that with the Morane Saulnier mast and the aerial mast towards the rear underbelly of the aircraft. The gun breech handle could also benefit from a few scratches from a silver pencil or a highly controlled paintbrush loaded with a metallic silver

The Dragon 262 is definitely not the best 262 out there, so don't be too surprised-this is not present in the Tamiya one. I have the A-1a version, and mould quality is excellent. The HB one is good, but can't compete with the Tamiya for fit, so if you are looking for a relaxing build after this, look at Tamiya's kits, such as it's 1/48 or 1/72 mossie. That is an amazing kit all round

Concerning the piping, note the allies used red and the germans used yellow and grey.

Looking good otherwise. I especially like the rounds. Just make sure they don't get too shiny

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
With aftermarket accessories, you ALWAYS have to be ready for shaving and modifications. I sometimes have to use my razor saw, and hack out chunks of plastic before putting in the engine or replacement gunbay.
Also another thing, All sorts of protrusions (yes, this also means a big whopping flak gun on a 262:eek:smiling3: should be left until the painting has been completed and most of teh things have been done. Take note of that with the Morane Saulnier mast and the aerial mast towards the rear underbelly of the aircraft. The gun breech handle could also benefit from a few scratches from a silver pencil or a highly controlled paintbrush loaded with a metallic silver

The Dragon 262 is definitely not the best 262 out there, so don't be too surprised-this is not present in the Tamiya one. I have the A-1a version, and mould quality is excellent. The HB one is good, but can't compete with the Tamiya for fit, so if you are looking for a relazing build after this, look at Tamiya's kits, such as it's 1/48 or 1/72 mossie. That is an amazing kit all round

Concerning the piping, note the allies used red and the germans used yellow and grey.

Looking good otherwise. I especially like the rounds. Just make sure they don't get too shiny
Hi John,

I learnt leaving all the fiddly protrusions to the end would be a good idea after the spit.

Unfortunately after test fitting (and I have found I have spent a lot of time doing this with this kit) I found the gun wasn't going to sit straight and the hole at the front had to be made larger. The only option I felt was to superglue the barrel to the gun the glue and jam it straight. The last thing I wanted was a finished plane and a wonky barrel sticking out the front.

Anyhow it's in and straight which is nice I just need to be a bit careful.

Wings are on and engines underway, the fit was horrible so another load of dry fitting and filling and some new photos to follow shortly.

When you say piping colours do you mean for the engine? I have some photos ready for painting.

View attachment 116439

View attachment 116440

View attachment 116441

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The tail dragger prototype most recognised is the Me 262 V3, PC+UC, werknummer 262 000 0003,because it was extensively photographed and filmed. The film of its maiden flight on 18th July 1942 survives.

Others were the Me 262 V1 (PC+UA, W.Nr. 262 000 0001) which had a Jumo 210 G engine (and obviously a propeller) in the nose, but flew with a couple of BMW P.3302 engines and eventually Jumo 004As bolted to the wings, and the V2 (PC+UB) and V4 (PC+UD).

None of them carried the werknummer on the fin as series production aircraft would.

The first to have a tricycle undercarriage was the V5 (PC+UE)

With the exception of V1 they all wore a version of the standard fighter camouflage scheme (RLM 74 and 75 over RLM 76).

Cheers

Steve

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

With the engine- it generally varied in terms of finishes However, they tended to be metallic colours only. A real (yellow piping on the engine would tend to be inaccurate unless portraying an aircraft from JG 7, such as rudolf sinner's aircraft, as that displays paint on the actual pipping on the engine

I have been to the US 262 in Washington, and managed to check out the engine with the top cowling off-unfortunately no pictures were allowed due to copyright and c*** (that's how the americans are!),but it tended to have a reddish sheen to everything which was meant to be an anti corrosive paint

The general colour for the piping would be a dark matt gunmetal

here are some pics-

This is one of werknummer 500071, the most authentic me 262 in the world

View attachment 116535

View attachment 116536

View attachment 116537

This is the australian 262, the second most authentic one surviving

View attachment 116538

ME262-engine.jpg

Me262A-1a+1.jpg

kbely_me262engine.jpg

detail_me262b_13.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi John,
I learnt leaving all the fiddly protrusions to the end would be a good idea after the spit.

Unfortunately after test fitting (and I have found I have spent a lot of time doing this with this kit) I found the gun wasn't going to sit straight and the hole at the front had to be made larger. The only option I felt was to superglue the barrel to the gun the glue and jam it straight. The last thing I wanted was a finished plane and a wonky barrel sticking out the front.

Anyhow it's in and straight which is nice I just need to be a bit careful.

Wings are on and engines underway, the fit was horrible so another load of dry fitting and filling and some new photos to follow shortly.

When you say piping colours do you mean for the engine? I have some photos ready for painting.
No- I meant generally for the aircraft- the americans and brits and aussies favoured red for fuel, hydraulic and electrical piping whiile the germans favoured yellow for electrics and fuel. However, those colours normally appeared on in line engines such as the fw 190D dora, 109, 110, he 111, me 410 and so on. Paint was used sparingly in 1944-45, so you don't have to paint everything. Stick to the natural colour the piping or electrical cabling would be

otherwise, the piping is in the right place where it should be

Some nice work on the piping on the engine, just make sure it is accurate to reference

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
No- I meant generally for the aircraft- the americans and brits and aussies favoured red for fuel, hydraulic and electrical piping whiile the germans favoured yellow for electrics and fuel. However, those colours normally appeared on in line engines such as the fw 190D dora, 109, 110, he 111, me 410 and so on. Paint was used sparingly in 1944-45, so you don't have to paint everything. Stick to the natural colour the piping or electrical cabling would be
otherwise, the piping is in the right place where it should be
I had problems sourcing thin yellow cabling for underneath the tub so had to make do with what I had, not ideal but Had to do something.

I have seen them pics and also the following which I may follow, thanks for all the help an comments so far.

View attachment 116539

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I had problems sourcing thin yellow cabling for underneath the tub so had to make do with what I had, not ideal but Had to do something.
I have seen them pics and also the following which I may follow, thanks for all the help an comments so far.
I think that's why we are on forums- for feedback and help! Btw, I really do like the gunsight and the acetate- that is really looking more to scale as compared to the old one

Yes. that is werknummer 500071. That aircraft is excellent reference. Don't forget the trim vein for the onion cone on the end

Yeah that's fine really up to the builder. However, it can always be sprayed the desired colour as long as it is not vinyl, which has awful paint adhesion properties.

Btw, does your kit come with the ordinance such as the R4M and werfgrenate 21 mortars or have dragon stinged on extras again?

John

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
The tail dragger prototype most recognised is the Me 262 V3, PC+UC, werknummer 262 000 0003,because it was extensively photographed and filmed. The film of its maiden flight on 18th July 1942 survives.
Others were the Me 262 V1 (PC+UA, W.Nr. 262 000 0001) which had a Jumo 210 G engine (and obviously a propeller) in the nose, but flew with a couple of BMW P.3302 engines and eventually Jumo 004As bolted to the wings, and the V2 (PC+UB) and V4 (PC+UD).

None of them carried the werknummer on the fin as series production aircraft would.

The first to have a tricycle undercarriage was the V5 (PC+UE)

With the exception of V1 they all wore a version of the standard fighter camouflage scheme (RLM 74 and 75 over RLM 76).

Cheers

Steve
Some really informative stuff there. I will have to bear this in mind when I do my 262 V9 build

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I think that's why we are on forums- for feedback and help! Btw, I really do like the gunsight and the acetate- that is really looking more to scale as compared to the old one
Yes. that is werknummer 500071. That aircraft is excellent reference. Don't forget the trim vein for the onion cone on the end

Yeah that's fine really up to the builder. However, it can always be sprayed the desired colour as long as it is not vinyl, which has awful paint adhesion properties.

Btw, does your kit come with the ordinance such as the R4M and werfgrenate 21 mortars or have dragon stinged on extras again?

John
I'll have another look but I don't think there's any ordnance on it, really looking forward to getting it finished now and have to be careful not to rush in finishing.

I have six in the stash now and am close on closing in on a hasegawa stuka and typhoon which look great but I must stop buying planes and start buying more etch, resin and paints to be honest. It's a very addictive hobby I'm finding!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I'll have another look but I don't think there's any ordnance on it, really looking forward to getting it finished now and have to be careful not to rush in finishing.
I have six in the stash now and am close on closing in on a hasegawa stuka and typhoon which look great but I must stop buying planes and start buying more etch, resin and paints to be honest. It's a very addictive hobby I'm finding!
Interesting. Meant to be the SUPER VALUE PACK lol.

I am laughing now- you should see how many extras I have for the Tamiya 1/48 D-9. I feel a little guilty. o_OLiterally I have about 8 kilograms worth of Eduard and Rb fabric and that doesn't include decals, metal barrels, plastic upgrades, conversions and resin.

It is good to build up an aftermarket stash-they really add the extra to your model.

Will be good to see the Stuka get built up. That is an excellent kit that goes together in Hasegawa fashion (which is a really good thing btw) and their kits have outstanding recessed panel lines.

Personally, I would refrain from buying am and kits, and build up the toolbox, especially paints. A personal choice by me would be to build up a collection of Gunze paints. They are arguably the most accurate colour matches, and they airbrush amazingly well. I primarily use it, but use enamels and vallejo for brush painting

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Slow progress due to recent events but some pictures here none the less, canopy is masked and the second engine has had some weight added to counter the resin.

Wiring shown is made from soft lead wire and fine copper, cable braces/ties are fine strips of tamiya tape wrapped all primed then painted. Think the engine will look better once weathered at the end where some soft and shuttle oily colours will be added

The last shot shows the big gun in its bay, gun door will be added at the end.

Cheers

View attachment 117549

View attachment 117550

View attachment 117551

View attachment 117552

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Been watching quietly in the background. Nice work. I like it quite a bit