• Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

Polux

Hi all!

To be true, I should add this new activity at our forum since a while.

I have been thinking about it and here is my “serious” propose for it. I designed some rules (just because I don’t want to leave all the work at the moderators) which we can use now as a base.

Hope you all like the idea and add new comments to construct a better contest. Anyway I add a simple poll too (agree or not agree) because, maybe some of you don’t want to write a reply, so this kind, you can leave your vote (if you want, of course :P ).

Remember the next “rules” are just a PROPOSE!!

Who can take part? : All the Scale Models members. Like the GB, the member can choice if he take part on it or not. Maybe the contest or topic is not interesting for him.

Period: My propose is two photography contest at the year. The first one can be on May. The second one can be on November. During a period, like two or three weeks, all the members that wish to take part can show his photos (all in the same thread). Then we can have one week for the poll selection.

What happens with the winner? : A possible option is..... the May’s winner choice the November topic. The November winner can choice or propose his own GB for the next year.

Theme: Well, the idea is take out the dust of some ours models and play with them. Can be simple choice, depends of the members selections, like:

-Tanks

-Planes

-Cars

-Ships

-Sci-Fi

-A figure + a tank

-A part of a building

-A realism one (your model on an outside photo)

-Or a silhouette like a “against the light” photography.

- etc.....

Why? : Well, I think two times at a year isn’t a frenetic activity. If we are talking about the members, these last days, I observe there are some ones that like to take care with his photos. This is an incentive to play more with the camera and the model, just more effort. The other side is, there are some members who don’t like the photography, but I’m sure they will like to see and observe the other member’s photos, like some of them prefer to follow the other’s threads as build his own models.

Thanks for take your time to read this thread!

Waiting for your comments. Regards

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm.

I can see that you have given this some thought.

My 10c worth:

The forum is very photo based as we all like to post photos of our finished builds....How about this; instead of your suggestion as you propose, how about that the contest runs on the pictures that have already been submitted....In the completed sections.

The first round could be the best from each of the sections, then the second part could be the overall picture of the year...

Thats the easy bit. The hard part would be getting people to figure out what it is we should be judging, the photo (technical) or the content/subject. (aesthetics).

I say this as I can see something becoming a modelling contest instead of a photo contest.

A point worth considering is that there are more than one or two proff photogs in here.... And take very good photos. (technically and aesthetically). I am not against the idea and see it as a way for some members to strive a bit more with the photos.... Me included.

Lets see what others say.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Why can't we have both Ian, one for the artistic presentation of the model itself, that is the focus, so flaws in shadows, lighting are not as critical-winner could have there picture displayed on the main page for a month or week.

The other is a technical composition section, pictures without shadows and lighting etc, use of backgrounds. Again the winner could have his picture on the main page but classed in the technical section. That way all folk can have a go and try and improve and we and potential members can view some of the pieces that the forums members produce.

Just an idea.

Si:smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

I think there is more potential for submitting new pictures as members will have something to strive for and a reason to take a particular photo. Using existing ones might exclude many members who have not submitted a picture and therefore cannot enter.

I agree it should be a photo competition and not a modelling competition however, should the picture be of a model or anything? ..............or do we decide that with each subject?

If I remember rightly we have done something similar on here in the past so it might be worth digging up old threads..........or not!

I think it has great potential.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think there is more potential for submitting new pictures as members will have something to strive for and a reason to take a particular photo. Using existing ones might exclude many members who have not submitted a picture and therefore cannot enter.

I agree it should be a photo competition and not a modelling competition however, should the picture be of a model or anything? ..............or do we decide that with each subject?

If I remember rightly we have done something similar on here in the past so it might be worth digging up old threads..........or not!

I think it has great potential.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Valid point that Richard, but by taking them from the plethora of pictures in the COMPLETED section has a hidden agenda as well ;) It could encourage people to try just a bit harder when taking photos of their latest project and putting them in the completed section instead of at the end of a build thread...Better photos and in the "proper" place.

I think that the idea Polux has is that the photos are of models. But I could be mistook. (not for the first time).

I also think that having the two sections that you suggest Si, could be a bit confusing and could also give rise to the model becoming more important than the picture.

So. If we made a thread for entries, I assume it should be in the Photography section. How would the vote bit work.. Open for posts and after x weeks close the tread and count the likes?

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I also think that having the two sections that you suggest Si, could be a bit confusing and could also give rise to the model becoming more important than the picture.

So. If we made a thread for entries, I assume it should be in the Photography section. How would the vote bit work.. Open for posts and after x weeks close the tread and count the likes?

Ian M
Hmmm, yeah, you could be right there Ian, suppose I am thinking that folk, like me, are not very photographic minded, so some great pics maybe not picked due to slight shadows etc, although I agree that it should be a way for people to get better and try more.

I think the poll idea is good and closed after so long.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good idea Polux...

Let's keep it straight forward though. How about this....

Come May, Scale Model members can enter no more than two of their favourite pictures of any of their models, whenever they were made, whatever subject. After a set time members will vote for what they think is the best photo.Their own excluded, of course.......simple.

We could ask John if he would consider the winning picture being put on 'The front page'!

P

Polux

Great ideas and comments chaps!

Hmm....let's see! I will try to explain my ideas :oops: to leave they clear.

We have to photography our builds or models, of course, not grasshoppers on the mountain O_o

The mechanism of the contest must be easy, don't confuse the participants with technic requieiments....

All the members can choice the topic. First round ideas. The second round a selection using a poll. The winner is the topic.

Once the topic is choice, the photo depends of each member.

Example: imagine a tank theme wins....

I take my tank and decided how to do my photo. I do great model...then make a full photo of the subject with a white, pink or the background you prefer (with more or less shadows, what you prefer too, is your photo!!!).

Other option is....I do a disaster decal work!! But I nailed the tracks ;) so then, you can do a zoom or similar from this part of the subject!!

I think a several rule like: full tank photo/white background/no shadows.... is quite bored....if we do it, is just for fun and learn!

The selection of the "winner" photo must be do it like John's poll. I remember the "calender game" now ;)

The judges must be all the members, not? Every one of as will choice the others photos for a different motives....maybe technical, light, composition,....

Could be an interesting idea, but we have many work to do yet :P

S

Stevekir

\ said:

All the members can choice the topic. First round ideas. The second round a selection using a poll. The winner is the topic.

Once the topic is choice, the photo depends of each member.

Example: imagine a tank theme wins....

I take my tank and decided how to do my photo. I do great model...then make a full photo of the subject with a white, pink or the background you prefer (with more or less shadows, what you prefer too, is your photo!!!).

I can see the advantage of having a theme (eg., tanks) so that a comparison could be more easily made on the quality of the photography, the subject being the same in each. In my case, I have never done a tank and might never do one, but perhaps a theme would be chosen eventually that included one of my finished models.

P

Polux

\ said:
I can see the advantage of having a theme (eg., tanks) so that a comparison could be more easily made on the quality of the photography, the subject being the same in each. In my case, I have never done a tank and might never do one, but perhaps a theme would be chosen eventually that included one of my finished models.
I understand what you means Steve.

My opinion is start (if we go on with the contest) with a photography like a silhouette, "realism" or why not.... a B&W ones. This kind you can use the model that you prefer and you will take more attention to the photo, the thing all should search for....

P

Polux

A recognition of the "best" photography it's fine....but we don't have the others members! How about to post a thread called "The Album", without any reply, just showing the best 5 or 10 photographies of the year :rolleyes:

It's easy to use and will be fantastic see all the photos together!!

P

Polux

Ouch!

Well...seems there isn't enough quorum or interest to go on with this activity.

Maybe will strikes back on winter! :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Anyway, I want to try to shot some "artistic" photography, needs to learn :P What can I do to show them? Open a thread here, like a gallery?

Some one want to participate and do it together? O_o

Thanks for all guys :smiling3:

Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I think its a great idea Polux , although I agree with Ron , it might be better to keep it simple - just 2 pics from each member then everyone votes for their favourites. We could have a seperate thread for discussion, questions etc. , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
im with Ron and Tony. I have always been of the KISS school of thought:

keep it simple....

Although your idea is very good Polux, I can see that it could end up in a right mish mash.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great idea, but I don't like the concept of it being a competition. To me it smacks of mine is better than yours. It's my view that such things are not really for this forum and should be kept at the show judging tables. Why have a vote anyway?

Can't we just have a 'Member's Photographs' where anyone can post a favourite photograph of their model and as Tony suggests, a linked thread for discussing the picture (Not the model) How it was composed, what camera and settings.

I don't see the need for themes, let's just heap the pictures all together.

As a bonus, guests having a nose could see all the great models you lot produce shown to their best in one place, rather than go to individual galleries. They don't need to pass comment, but on the strength of what they would see would surely make them want to join S.M!

Great idea from Polux, but let's keep it simple.

I commend the idea to the House....

Lt. Commander D.D. Ekerslyke (Ret)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stevekir

\ said:
Great idea, but I don't like the concept of voting. To me it smacks of mine is better than yours. It's my view that such things are...........
I like this idea.

P

Polux

That's what I like!! A clear and simple comment!!

Maybe don't seems, but I prefer the Ron's option too.

All the best photos together ;)

Will be an excellent place to take inspiration :rolleyes:

There are 9 votes....are the rest of the members agree with this new propose option?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think the consensus is that the idea is good, but as many have said including Ian, who may have to moderate and sort out-keep it simple. I suppose I was thinking that some could be put off by having some top photographers and others-like me-who are, well rubbish-will it put them off?

Another idea is to use the gallery more-it sits, mostly idle as folk don't really use it much, it is taking up space, to get this dead-space moving could we not incorporate a system that photos taken and placed in the gallery are showcased along the main page, or today's featured member is Polux...for instance. Click on the piccie and it takes you to their gallery, this way pictures are looked at and it gives us the chance to use this feature more.

Si...just spit balling here.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good point Si, but are we not wandering off the initial thread subject a bit?

The whole idea is for a separate thread for the viewing of photos and discussion of same. To be re-directed to someone's gallery could possibly defeat the object of Polux's initial suggestion - photo analysis and comments.

On the topic of good v's not so good pictures, surely the main concept of our amigo's idea is for us (all of us) to post our photos and discuss them, thus improving......An exact parallel to why we post our models.

Spit balling too!