Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Sitting on the fence...Is three months too long?
I was going on the idea that there are some that are often away for weeks on end, others that take a long time to build. Also it would give time to accumulate more entries.

Would it be a better idea to have a monthly or bi-monthly one?

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Fair comment Ian, it will be interesting to get other mod's and member's views, but it seems to be as good as thrashed out.

Thanks for tying it all together.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That just requires that more people read the thread Ron, LOL

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

I would just like to add one thing to the pot which, based on previous experience of photo competitions, will almost certainly come up at some point or another and could cause disagreement and that is the issue of digital editing.

On the one hand you will have the purists who advocate no editing at all, it must come straight from the camera. On the other hand there will be those who think that digital editing is all part of it and consequently anything goes. Most would agree that a bit of sharpening or a bit of 'enhancing' is OK but the inevitable question will be "Where do you draw the line?"

When you consider nowadays that digital cameras are capable of quite a bit of photo editing inside the camera we might have to modify our thinking. For instance I have a pocket digital camera that, depending on its interpretation of a shot, will automatically take two shots, one straight after the other, and will expose one shot for the highlights and one shot for the shadows then it will automatically superimpose the two shots to give perfect exposure right across the picture. A couple of years ago that would have been a significant job in Photoshop, even if it could be done.

Now I tend to think we should let anything go but be honest in our descriptions and clarify just what has been enhanced to enable everyone to judge accordingly.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An interesting point Richard. Personally, I see photoshop and other digital editing software to be no different to a dark room for digits and all part of the process. I never really thought about it that much. If a picture can be improved by a bit of dodging or burning in a darkroom, is it really any difference doing it using software? The end result is what counts I would assume.

Maybe a guideline that information about the photo, should include if the picture is edited?

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's my view that for what is being proposed......Quote "Just a bit of fun"....does it really matter how the end result has been achieved, and I don't think it necessary to include any guidelines. Just let members post away.

As has been suggested by folks, keep it simple, otherwise it might get bogged down in rules and regs. and I really don't see the need for either, except how many pictures and start date - sort of!!!!!

P

Polux

\ said:
OK here is what I have had off thoughts in the direction of fast guidelines. (Read rules).1). A member can post no more that two photographs of the same model, or models in the case of a diorama. (One could be a presentation shot, the other an artistic for example).

Members may post multiple entries, but they must be in a separate post and no more than one entry for each genre. (as defined in the forums build sections).

2). To simplify things SHORT discussions on the photographs can be entered in the Original Posters (here after OP) thread. Comments along the lines of "Nice one"- "Oh! thats good!" Or "I like that" will be removed and repeat offenders will get a slapped wrist! (privately naturally).

3). To cast your vote for a photograph, simply press the thumbs up (Like) icon.

4). Each "contest" will have a three month running time, as this will fit well with the Group builds.

Anybody anything to add?

Or change`?

Ian M
The three months idea is great Ian.

We can do it simple....

Every member can post 2 photos every three months (max 8 per year).

The theme must be free. I don't see it clear, have to difference about artistic or others kind of photography. We have the tool's bare where we can "say": I like it or is a great build (now is a great photo) or maybe creative (similar a nice composition).

An option is open a ONLY thread where to find all the 2014 photos (full size), you must add on these photos, example "Spanner's 1". Now we have all the pics "under control", and it's easy to use if you want to comment this exactly photo (on other thread/only for comments).

The important is do to it easy for all the members who wants to show his photos, and keep away extra work at the moderators, choicing if that is an artistic photo or the other is different, or you post on the wrong thread....

About the contest....

Only one at year? On December, first two weeks all the members who wants post ONLY a photo. The next two weeks the members choice with a simple and secret poll. Is important to be free!! Maybe you want to show your photos, but don't want to come in on a competition! This kind you can choice!

More ideas? Or changes?

PS: thank you very much to Ian and some members here, who are trying to find a correct way for this propose!

Polux

P

Polux

Ouch!!! I'm so slow writting :smiling3:

I'm agree with the younger Ron!! ;)

Let's do it :D

L

Laurie

When I started in architecture it was impressed on me that drawing was only a means to an end. It is the final result that matters the bricks and mortar

Use any technology as the means to the end otherwise there is no point in having it. My philosophy is if you have it use it but it is how it is used. When producing a model we all, or most, use the latest things which will enhance out work.

On a practical point how would you police such a rule.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

I go along with Ian's post of 8:39 yesterday. Also, I would like to allow any reasonable processing, eg., photoediting, short of using the more extreme filters that some programs offer, like:

View attachment 79976

Many contestants do not have photoediting software and if we are not careful they might be at a disadvantage. Also, any view of the model, including closeups.

The photos must be taken by the contestant.

I think viewers should be asked to simply ask the question "Do I like the photographic quality enough, for any reason, to vote for it, taking account of the general standard of all the others?". Consider what this would mean. A contestant submits an atmospheric, very gruesome, even ugly, military dio with a soldier's guts hanging out. I suggest that the viewer should concentrate on its photgraphic quality.

What about modelling flaws? Poor painting, dust and hairs, seams visible etc. Should the viewer not vote for it even when the photo is photographically good (sharp, good lighting etc.)?

Where a contestant offers more than one photo within the same genre, would all the votes for those be added up to declare the winner? If so, the more photos a contestant entered in a genre the more votes she/he will get. It depends on what we would be voting for - individual photos, or the overall skill of the photographer in that genre.

Untitled-2.jpg

S

Stevekir

Here are some extracts from various online photographic contests about the amount of digital improvement that is accepted by them:

Nature Conservancy:

All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified. Multiple exposures that have been combined to produce a single "High Dynamic Range" image are acceptable.

Smithsonian:

Cropped photos are eligible in all categories. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos, except for those entered in the Altered Images category. Minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents, are acceptable for all five categories. If the judges determine that a photographer has altered his or her photo, they reserve the right to move the photo to Altered Images or to disqualify it.

http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/contests/photo-contest-rules/

• Minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable. Cropping is acceptable, as are fish-eye lenses. Any changes to the original photograph not itemized here are unacceptable and will render the photograph ineligible for a prize.

• Mounted or framed photographs are not acceptable.

http://photolisticlife.com/photography-contest-entry-form/2012-photo-contest-rules/

Only minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable, as is cropping. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas are acceptable.

Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated. Entrants can enhance the picture to make it brighter, clearer etc, but not manipulate the content.

P

Polux

Why we don't consider, HERE, the modelling and the photography as the same....

Explain....some of you buy a kit, open the box, paint a primer and a colour coat, then add the decals....this is a normal photo O_o

The other version is add washes, filters, oils, chipping effects.....this is the Photoshop or technologies....

It's enough clear? You have doubs?

Remember we are on a modelling forum, not on a professional photography forum O_o

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
When I started in architecture it was impressed on me that drawing was only a means to an end. It is the final result that matters the bricks and mortarUse any technology as the means to the end otherwise there is no point in having it. My philosophy is if you have it use it but it is how it is used. When producing a model we all, or most, use the latest things which will enhance out work.

On a practical point how would you police such a rule.

Laurie
Exactly the point I was making. It is the end result and not the "tricks" getting it that count.

Apart from the obvious use of filters, false colours and over use of 'after effects' it would be very hard to say which photos have been doctored.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It wouldn't matter to me how the final photo looked, or how it was achieved.....If it looked great, it would get my vote, simple.

Having stated the above, if a picture looked obviously too doctored, then out it would go. To my mind there is a limit, and as Polux points out, we are not a photographic forum....

So lets keep it nice and simple......please!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Many contestants do not have photoediting software and if we are not careful they might be at a disadvantage. Also, any view of the model, including closeups.

The photos must be taken by the contestant.
A photo can be just as good, be it taken on a cheap mobile phone or a professional SLR to a truck load of money. With or with out photo editing software being used.

\ said:
I think viewers should be asked to simply ask the question "Do I like the photographic quality enough, for any reason, to vote for it, taking account of the general standard of all the others?". Consider what this would mean. A contestant submits an atmospheric, very gruesome, even ugly, military dio with a soldier's guts hanging out. I suggest that the viewer should concentrate on its photgraphic quality.
Yes the whole idea is to vote on the photograph and not the subject. However, a photo of a pleasing subject is likely to get more votes than a displeasing one, be that right or wrong.

\ said:
What about modelling flaws? Poor painting, dust and hairs, seams visible etc. Should the viewer not vote for it even when the photo is photographically good (sharp, good lighting etc.)?
As said, it is the photo and not the model that is being judged, whoever hard it might be to separate the two things.

\ said:
Where a contestant offers more than one photo within the same genre, would all the votes for those be added up to declare the winner? If so, the more photos a contestant entered in a genre the more votes she/he will get. It depends on what we would be voting for - individual photos, or the overall skill of the photographer in that genre.
Each photo would be a stand alone item; only the votes given to individual the photograph will be counted. So if you post two photos, one gets 5 votes, the other 10, you still have a top score of 10. It is the photograph, not the photographer being considered.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Here are some extracts from various online photographic contests about the amount of digital improvement that is accepted by them:
Well its a bloody good thing we are not one of those venerable establishments! LOL

My head hurts now.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Why we don't consider, HERE, the modelling and the photography as the same....Explain....some of you buy a kit, open the box, paint a primer and a colour coat, then add the decals....this is a normal photo o_O

The other version is add washes, filters, oils, chipping effects.....this is the Photoshop or technologies....

It's enough clear? You have doubs?

Remember we are on a modelling forum, not on a professional photography forum o_O
What?!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK here the revised guidelines. (Read rules).

1). A member can post no more that two photographs of the same model, or models in the case of a diorama. (One could be a presentation shot, the other an artistic for example).

Members may post multiple entries, but they must be in a separate post and no more than one entry for each genre. (as defined in the forums build sections).

2). To simplify things SHORT discussions on the photographs can be entered in the Original Posters (here after OP) thread. Comments along the lines of "Nice one"- "Oh! thats good!" Or "I like that" will be removed and repeat offenders will get a slapped wrist! (privately naturally).

3). To cast your vote for a photograph, simply press the thumbs up (Like) icon. AND ONLY that one. (As being the one that will have to tally up, it is a LOT easier, if an entry has 10 likes, and NOT 6 likes, 2 great builds an optimistic and a funny. It will be counted as 6 likes).

4). The thread will be closed for further posts "at the end of the year" to allow the result to be found and the results posted before the end of the year.

Anybody anything to add?

Or change`?

I personally would like to get this sorted soon so I can make the appropriate section ready for April first. :smiling:

Ian M

S

Stevekir

That's OK. I assume that a voter could cast a Likes vote for each of the two photos in the entry of a member.

And could cast several votes for other photos posted by that member (in another entries of course).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Go for it.....good luck to those who enter and a big thanks to Ian for digesting the member's post and coming up with a result.......I hope!