• Not Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Good point Si, but are we not wandering off the initial thread subject a bit?
Good point Ron, just thinking of what we have got in place and utilising that-keeping it simple...or simplish. But yeah, slightly off the Polux's idea, so sorry about that.

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then.

I have some simple questions and thoughts now that I am back home and can hear myself think!

Do we want a competition: We it could be fun, there may well be some that could look upon it as elitism but in the end that must be their problem and not everybody else. I mean we are all growed up and all that. Aren't we?

Friendly competition is a good way to make yourself improve. Fact, people like to try to be better than the next, if they are aware of it or not...

So where am I going with this? I like the idea of a contest and I don't think that it will be showing off or being belittled.

As for the "Prize" It has been suggested that the winning photo be featured on the forums front page... Where does one find that? As far as I am aware, we have not had one since the forum upgraded to the new one... So if that is possible, I will have to find out.

In practice we already have sections, where we all post the photo's of our completed builds, so all our efforts can be found for all to see, we also have a Photography Section where we can post photographs for "judgement".

It would seen to me that if we want to carry this through, there are two ways of keeping it simple.

1) Open a forum in the Photography section. We can call this "Photo contest 2014" and have that purely for the photos and a sub forum for comments/questions ABOUT the PHOTOGRAPHIC aspects. As young Ron suggested max two photos per member could be a good idea but that too is open to debate.

2) Open a forum in each of the completed sections, 'so there are "classes" for each genre.' If you know what I mean. The class winners, then all get a chance to go for the overall winner.

As for a time frame, that can be discussed later if this gets any further to becoming a reality.

The most important thing we all will need to remember is that it is the photo and not the model that is being judged.

As suggestions for rules, again these should be simple and as few as possible: You can't vote for your own photo and in the event of a tie, the Moderators get to pick the winner. It is after all just for fun.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I guess that's 'My problem' I just don't think S.M. is the place for competitions.

I would far prefer just a new 'Photographs Thread' were we can post our pictures and a link, whatever it's called, to enable discussion of the technique etc of that particular picture.

Having said that I will of course 'Go with the flow'

S

Stevekir

\ said:
........The whole idea is for a separate thread for the viewing of photos and discussion of same. To be re-directed to someone's gallery could possibly defeat the object of Polux's initial suggestion - photo analysis and comments.

On the topic of good v's not so good pictures, surely the main concept of our amigo's idea is for us (all of us) to post our photos and discuss them, thus improving......An exact parallel to why we post our models.

Spit balling too!
An approach might be to set a date for a photo session (with or without a subject such as tanks, cars etc. depending on what we decide). People would upload [a limited number of] images that they have made, perhaps some time ago. They could be ones that they are proud of, or one that is the best they could manage for that subject and their photo setup, or one that was a difficult subject, etc. etc. The modeller uploading the image could comment him/her self on what he/she thinks are strong or weak points, any particular purpose for the image, etc. and could ask advice on a particular aspect of the shoot which was difficult. Other modellers viewing would be asked to comment on the photograph (not the model itself as an example of scale modelling): lighting, sharpness, angle of view, atmosphere (if a dio) colour quality, suitability of the setting (eg., plain white or against a background) whether the image succeeds in displaying the particular subject at its best, etc. Whatever comes to mind.

The main idea is for people to praise, suggest improvements in whatever aspect occurs to the viewer, anything relevant. The modeller uploading the image would then have several comments which he could take into account next time, or not. Constructive discussion is always valuable and is what happens at club meetings, but many are not members of a club and rely in a forum.

Would there be a subject heading set aside for this? Home > Forums > Photo discussion? This could have a separate thread for each date (entitled that date) and by that date people would upload their images (each separately identified to make reference easier), and when the date had passed comments would follow lower down the thread.

Some thoughts.

P

Polux

Between the two Ian’s propose I, personally, prefer the first one.

I must add, my idea is fun with all the possibilities that photography give you. The “competition” was just to add a motivation.... O_o

Anyway, seems we are near to find the correct way!!

Thanks to all ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It would seem to me that the general consensus leans pretty much in the direction of using the Photography section for the purpose it was intended for. Posting photos for appraisal and critique... Or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick again?

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
It would seem to me that the general consensus leans pretty much in the direction of using the Photography section for the purpose it was intended for. Posting photos for appraisal and critique... Or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick again?Ian M
Yes, I agree. But the poster's original idea seemed to be to put a focus on photography now and again, and concentrate attention on it, and gather together a range of photos at one time. It depends on whether people think that this addition would be helpful.

L

Laurie

I think this is a great idea. Any means of improving model making and photography which displays all that is produced on this or any other forum must be a winner.

Nothing wrong with competition as it is part of our culture wether it is in producing the best model, playing football or scrabble. The major part of competition is that it improves the quality of any concern or activity. It is an inate part of a human being we are competitive and plays a major part in for instance the developing child. Certainly if I see a model superior to mine I put my mind to making sure I achieve better next time.

Put it another way are there better ways of improving the photography of models constructed here ? If we are all grown up people then we know that others may do better it is up to each individual to try ! If a person's personality cannot accept competition then nobody is suggesting he or she should enter.

My idea would be for two competitions.

The first. A photo chosen as the best from say 10 short listed in the year. The 10 photos judged by say the moderators of the forum. These from the general photos published by members to show their work. How to short list 10 ? Not easy can John device a button to press ?

The second. From members submitting what they consider their best photos of the year. Judged by a Pro photographer.No embarassment as you do not have to enter. No need for special prizes the accolade is the best you can receive.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 3568

I like the idea all I can say is I wouldn't like to be the person sorting it out I have enough trouble turning the computer on.

First Name
Jason
I like the idea. Especially as I've asked SWMBO for a new camera for my birthday with the intention of improving my model pics! I also like a bit of healthy competition and if the end result helps everyone improve their skills then great. I can't ever imagine this place becoming elitist, too many level headed people here for that to happen me thinks :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
good idea, might be interested in what ever form it takes, even tho im a lousy photographer, altho im planning on trying a few things soon to improve

as an aside, another forum im on used to have a yearly poll....it wasnt a competition as such.....every december you were allowed to post one pic of your own faverite two builds of the year, every one would vote (blind polling so no one knew who was voting for what or how many votes pics were getting til it was all over).....admin had a programme to create a calendar for the following year (which is why it was done in december)....top 12 pics would be main pic each month....all other pics scattered thro the months...you could then download/print it/save to computer

ive blanked the sites name cos i dont think it would be fair to advertise it :P

View attachment 79940

View attachment 79941

zzzzzzzzzzpost-2-12636351098768_001.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzpost-2-12636356495821.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
"If a person's personality cannot accept competition then nobody is suggesting he or she should enter."

Wo hey, that's told me then! lol

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I like the idea. Especially as I've asked SWMBO for a new camera for my birthday with the intention of improving my model pics! I also like a bit of healthy competition and if the end result helps everyone improve their skills then great. I can't ever imagine this place becoming elitist, too many level headed people here for that to happen me thinks :smiling3:
I bought an SLR camera about a year ago mainly to do "product photography" AKA "table top photography". That is, photos of models. I already had a top of the range compact (Sony DSC-HX9V, 2012). It takes very good photos and has lots of features. It took quite good model photos but was not adjustable enough. I continue to use it for all other subjects.

I went to Jessops and told them what I wanted: a full SLR (not one of the mirrorless hybrids) with Aperture and Shutter priority modes, and manual mode, for photographing models. Some cost £7,000!! On their advice I bought a Nikon D3100 for £280 (including its 18 to 55 focal length lens. (It was introduced in 2010 and has been superseded by the D3200 which has more than the 14 Megapixels of the D3100, which is still available-14 Megapixels is fine). I use its manual mode for all my model photos. By setting it first on Aperture Priority and choosing F18 (for overall sharpness and depth of field), a built-in infrared rangefinder can be used, and you can choose to focus on one of several spots on the model which is useful. It is very accurate and easy to use. If your lighting is bright enough (unlikely) for a shutter speed of 1/125 sec or faster you can set that as well and take the picture. If the lighting is too dark for 1/125 sec, (always in my case) I switch to manual (focus already set as above) and set the shutter speed to about 3 secs. and the time delay to 2 secs (to allow any camera shake from pressing the button to die away).

As well as JPGs, the camera can take RAW images (search Wikipedia) which was new to me and is useful for bringing up detail in dark areas like the underside of a plane. Nikon offer a utility to use it. The camera, like all these days, has lots of electronics and added features but I stick to what I need to know. If you are put off by such electronic detail, ask in the shop to see the manual. And ask the seller how he would go about photographing a model in artificial light.

I'm very pleased with it. Here is a photo taken with it. It is pin sharp (I used manual flash to increase the effect of sharpness):

View attachment 79942

Engine, Left Side, Edited.jpg

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the advice Steve. It's much appreciated.

Jason

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'm just wondering myself how all this will finish.... o_O
I think it is still in the discussion faze Polux...you know around the table after the presentation with coffee and choccie biccies.

I am sure that something could happen, Ian seems supportive-as he, John and the other mods will have to do their magic. Members seem keen to have a go, so it has lots of potential to work.

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

\ said:
I think it is still in the discussion faze Polux...you know around the table after the presentation with coffee and choccie biccies. Si:smiling3:
Is better don't disturb the conclave... :D

Let's see!

There is a general quorum for do something related about photography.

The main problem now is, competition or not.... Hope we can solve this problem now ;)

L

Laurie

Polux it is a lot of dratted chat.

Or as Churchill defined a problem. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key.

The key is someone to take charge !

I think Polux the matter has gone beyond "The main problem now is, competition or not." As the voting is 12 to 1 for a photographic "contest ".

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK here is what I have had off thoughts in the direction of fast guidelines. (Read rules).

1). A member can post no more that two photographs of the same model, or models in the case of a diorama. (One could be a presentation shot, the other an artistic for example).

Members may post multiple entries, but they must be in a separate post and no more than one entry for each genre. (as defined in the forums build sections).

2). To simplify things SHORT discussions on the photographs can be entered in the Original Posters (here after OP) thread. Comments along the lines of "Nice one"- "Oh! thats good!" Or "I like that" will be removed and repeat offenders will get a slapped wrist! (privately naturally).

3). To cast your vote for a photograph, simply press the thumbs up (Like) icon.

4). Each "contest" will have a three month running time, as this will fit well with the Group builds.

Anybody anything to add?

Or change`?

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sitting on the fence...Is three months too long?