Revell 1/32 Arado 196A-3

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I could go for the 1/48 Scale one as well. I saw some where there's a resin/brass catapult kit from Bismark which could be a great display...

Great build thus far Vaughan. That radial looks brilliant.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I could go for the 1/48 Scale one as well. I saw some where there's a resin/brass catapult kit from Bismark which could be a great display...Ian M
Very cool. Bismarck carried four aircraft T3+DL,T3+AK,T3+IH and T3+MJ so the codes are easy. You'd need the emblem used by 1. and 2./BfGr196 which was a seahorse on a blue shield. I'd love to see it done,I've got a lot of other stuff to do!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
When the illustrious band of Scale Model members where at Cosford earlier this year there was one of these aircraft on display and the builder had scratch built a catapult for it to sit on and it looked superb.

I know Tony (yakface) was sorely tempted by the kit, as was I. Dave (gern) was too, but he already had his arms full of goodies!

This will be one great build to follow....

Cheers,

Ron

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Ron

There is a resin version made by HPH here's the review HPH Models Item No. HPH 32004R - Ship's Catapult for Arado Ar 196. But at 55 Euros I don't think I'll be buying one of these.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Vaughan,I can't tell you how tempted I am. 55 Euros is a lot but then the model to go with it is very reasonable.....Aaargh....Stop it :smiling3:

I'll just enjoy watching you build yours.....for now.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Vaughan. Smashing work as usual! Will you have the chance on this one to show that engine? I know you couldn't do it on your last build, but does this one have panels that could be removed?

Ron's right - I was tempted! Alas, it wasn't only 'cos I had my arms full. There was no point buying the catapult as I haven't got hold of the 'plane - yet! Now I'm back in the world of work, I'll have to see if I can get the pennies together and add this to my wanted list.

Gern

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave

Yes to your first question and yes to the second one. What I'm hoping to do is have one wing folded and have the inspection panels open on the same side.

Vaughan

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Summat to look forward too then! I'll be watching.

Gern

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A small amount of progress this morning. Dry fit of fuselage to enable me to line up the exhaust pipes. There is a join on each exhaust and to stop the pipes fouling you need to glue them in situ. Once dry I can dismantle them and spray them ready to be refitted. It's a bit of a pain but luckily I had read on a forum build that there could be a problem if you didn't follow this advice. The fuselage fit is going to be tricky but hopefully once the internal structure is fitted, fingers crossed, it should all come together.

Vaughan

View attachment 39536

View attachment 39537

View attachment 39538

View attachment 39539

_MG_0069.jpg

_MG_0071.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great. Impressive little engine.

Colin M.......

W

wellsyman

hi this is my next plane too build i will be watching this build and great work cheers steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Exhaust pipes are ready for the next stage. The joins have been filled with plastic putty. I have then extended the outlets on each side by wrapping thin plastic card around them as they were not deep enough, I used this image as a reference. I made sure the joins were on the inside as they will not be seen when the engine is in situ. Next step will be to prime and paint them. The pilots instrument panel is fairly well detailed but lacks detail within each dial. Revell don't provide any decals so I have ordered some generic Luftwaffe dials from Airscale they should arrive in the post in the next few days. In the meantime I will make a start on the cockpit area and internal frame, that should keep me busy for a while as there are a lot of individual components to paint affix and weather.

Vaughan

View attachment 39578

View attachment 39579

View attachment 39580

_MG_0089.jpg

_MG_0091.jpg

_MG_0092.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Most of the weathering to the internal components of the fuselage are complete. I decided to go with the pre-moulded lap belts for the pilot and copilot/rear gunner they would have been very difficult to remove and I think they will pass as ok. Exhaust pipes are sprayed and weathered. The decals for the instruments arrived yesterday but I'm rather disappointed as there are not many I can use such as the artificial horizon because they are too big. I have emailed Airscale to see what they can advise.

Vaughan

View attachment 39649

View attachment 39650

View attachment 39651

View attachment 39652

View attachment 39653

View attachment 39654

_MG_0008.jpg

_MG_0009.jpg

_MG_0010.jpg

_MG_0011.jpg

_MG_0018.jpg

_MG_0020.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I love the work that has gone into this.

And that engine is fantastic.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Guys for the comments. Peter at Airscale sent me some replacement dials over the W/E. They are in fact 1/48 scale but will better fit the pilots instrument panel and co-pilots dials. Will have a go with them tomorrow.

Vaughan.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi vaughan , the cockpit is coming on fantastic, really well detailed. The belts look great to me , and what a lovely motor!! Very impressed with the level of detail on this kit, at around £24 its a total steal!!! cheers tony