Revell 1/32 Arado 196A-3

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Tony

I agree with you, the detail is very good and as you say for £24.99 you can't go wrong.

Vaughan

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been away this last few days or so, so I have missed the progress on you model Vaughan. It's looking really good, the level of detail is outstanding and I'm sure you will make a great job of it......

Cheers,

Ron

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Have spent most of today completing the fuselage internal framework. Here are some images of the various stages. All went together well with no hiccups. It all started off looking and feeling very flimsy but it is surprising how strong it has became now that it is complete. I have pre threaded the fishing line through the lower fuselage plate in readiness for it to be attached to the frame work and then ultimately to the fuselage it's self. The next challenging bit will be inclosing it within the fuselage.

Vaughan

View attachment 39886

View attachment 39887

View attachment 39888

View attachment 39889

View attachment 39890

View attachment 39891

View attachment 39892

View attachment 39893

View attachment 39894

View attachment 39895

View attachment 39896

View attachment 39897

View attachment 39898

View attachment 39899

View attachment 39900

View attachment 39901

_MG_0001.jpg

_MG_0004.jpg

_MG_0005.jpg

_MG_0006.jpg

_MG_0007.jpg

_MG_0008.jpg

_MG_0016.jpg

_MG_0017.jpg

_MG_0029.jpg

_MG_0032.jpg

_MG_0033.jpg

_MG_0035.jpg

_MG_0036.jpg

_MG_0037.jpg

_MG_0038.jpg

_MG_0039.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant work Vaughan, I hope it fits in the fuselage !

Colin M......

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic vaughan!! This really is a lovely looking kit, and the painting and dry brushing in the cockpit is excellent. cheers tony

First Name
Dave
I like the leather effect on the rear gunners seat.How did you do that?.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I love watching this Arado grow, the paint work is fantastic.

And Dave has beat me to the question.

How is that leather effect done? It's great.

I'll keep watching.

Tony

A

andygh

This is a hugely impressive build, looking forward to the finished model

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave

The leather effect on the gunners seat is a bit of a hit or miss affair. I started off by brushing on Modelair Dark Earth. Modelair is not meant to be brushed as it doesn't cover very well. But I take advantage of this as it goes on quite streaky and dries quickly and by building up the layers you get quite a good effect. I then finish off by adding a drop or two of modelair black to a small cup of water. This will give you a really dilute wash. This is also brushed on once the dark earth is dry. Once dry I then apply some more. I think the trick is not to be too neat when brushing it and almost taking it off and then reapplying it. I hope that makes sense.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Help!!!!

Hi All

Well after the completion of the internal fuselage with no problems thing seem to have gone down hill. The dry fit of the fuselage is going to be a bit of a challenge see images. The halves fit nicely together but there seems to be an issue with the lower fuselage mating around the wing roots. It seems that the fuselage is narrower than the lower section and needs considerable pressure to splay it out. I have tried putting clamps on and this seems to work although the fuselage is under a lot of pressure. I think I'm going to have to go down the route of using extra thin liquid poly cement, relying on the capillary action to flow around the wing roots, as I think I'm going to have clamp it first. I've never used this type of cement before so any hints and tips on how to use it would be greatly appreciate.

Vaughan

View attachment 40004

View attachment 40005

View attachment 40006

View attachment 40007

_MG_0044.jpg

_MG_0045.jpg

_MG_0047.jpg

_MG_0048.jpg

A

AJay

Vaughan, an excellent build thread with some great detailing. The seat texture and colour looks superb. Look forward to seeing more : )

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Vaughan. Your work is up to it's usual very high standards so far.

I've heard of folks using all sorts of glues to fix the kind of problem you've got. Trouble is, the pressure caused by the fuselage trying to return to it's 'natural' narrow profile could pull the joint apart or distort it in some way. Is there no room for some sort of spacer between the two sides? An off-cut of sprue perhaps wedged between the sides would help relieve the pressure on the joint.

Gern

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vaughan looking back to the last set of pictures you posted ( no16 ) it looks like the wire you fitted is just lifting the frame work up a little this could be causing the fit problem is there a way of you checking

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave

Thanks for your advice and Ian for your observations. The No16 photo was taken before I had glued the framework to the lower fuselage so that gap was closed up. Dave that was a good idea but I had a rethink. I went down to my local model shop and bought some plastic weld. Looking at the problem again and what I should have done in the first place was glue one half of the fuselage and then follow up with the second half. Using the plastic weld and taking advantage of the capillary action I squeezed the wing root so it was in the right position and then applied the plastic weld with a brush. I didn't have to hold it very long before it set. I then went through the same process in front of the wing root and behind which I think you call the fillet and then that just left the underside where it buts up to the rest of the fuselage. A small amount of filler was required on the fillet and underside. I'm pleased with the result. Next was joining the two halves. Firstly I glued the forward facing machine gun again using the plastic weld. Once this had set I concentrated on the wing root using the same method as before. A little filler was required again. That just left the join in front of the cockpit again using the plastic weld. All that remains is to join the spine top and bottom and the tail fin. Fingers crossed that will work out ok.

Vaughan

View attachment 40020

View attachment 40021

View attachment 40022

View attachment 40023

View attachment 40024

View attachment 40025

View attachment 40026

View attachment 40027

View attachment 40028

_MG_0001.jpg

_MG_0005.jpg

_MG_0006.jpg

_MG_0007.jpg

_MG_0008.jpg

_MG_0011.jpg

_MG_0016.jpg

_MG_0018.jpg

_MG_0019.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Well I think I'm going to give the fuselage a bit of a rest at the moment although I've yet to fit the radial engine. It will most probably be easier to leave it off until some of the painting is done. Anyway I thought I would make a start with the wings one being folded the other being in the flight position. Revell have made it easy in the fact you have quite substantial wing locating pegs which also enable you to paint the wings prior to attaching them. The folded wing locating peg was a bit of a pig to get lined up correctly, even though there are guide slots, so I had to dry fit the wing halves together to ensure a perfect fit. While the wings were taped together I thought I might as well try a dry fit and attach the fuselage to the floats add the tail plane and rudder and also pop the wings on just to get an idea of what she will look like. She is going to look quite impressive especially on the stand. This isn't a small model although having one folded wing will help it not taking up too much room on the shelf.

Vaughan

View attachment 40157

View attachment 40158

View attachment 40159

View attachment 40160

View attachment 40161

View attachment 40162

View attachment 40163

_MG_0020.jpg

_MG_0023.jpg

_MG_0025.jpg

_MG_0026.jpg

_MG_0027.jpg

_MG_0028.jpg

_MG_0029.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
You know Vaughan, I know we know how much work has gone into this build, and this must have been said so many times, but such a shame to cover it all up with the fuselage sides, even temporarly.

Still a good looking build though.

Keep up the good work.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that Tony

If it's any consolation you will still be able to see a lot of the detail even once the canopy is in place.

Vaughan