Revell 1/32 Grumman Martlet V

yak face

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
6,902
Likes
2,093
Points
113
First Name
tony
#41
Fuselage is now together , now theres the problem of treating the seams without losing the raised detail. Ive done this in the past by carefully sanding up to the raised line and reinstating the rivets but this time I think im going to use a different approach (one ive also used before) . This second method involves sanding the seam as normal then using a sharp blade (not a scriber) marking the line back on . This creates a groove yes ,but it also raises the plastic either side and once painted gives the impression the raised line carries on over the seam. The rivets are also treated in the same way ,a sharp point being used to mark them which raises the plastic . The large screw heads on the engine cowling have been reinstated by using blobs of filler which will be sanded back a bit later . Heres the pics to show what i mean DSCN2800 (Copy).JPG DSCN2801 (Copy).JPG DSCN2802 (Copy).JPG
 

yak face

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
6,902
Likes
2,093
Points
113
First Name
tony
#44
Little bit more progress on this yesterday. Ive sanded the bottom seam but still need to re-instate the rivets. I'm going have the wings folded on this one but obviously the working hinges and much simplified wing fold need attention. Thanks to some excellent walkarounds on the web ,pictures are plentiful so off I went drilling holes, chopping bits off and adding bits. I originally planned to use the kit hinges to get the right angle and thin them down and disguise them but they just looked rubbish so I had to think of something else. The mounting points for the kit hinges could be used to slot in a section of plastic strip attached to the outer wing,meaning I can leave off the wings for painting and just slot them on last off. I found a couple of suitably sized pylons in the spares box and cut them to size , but how to fasten them to the outer wing strongly enough? I resorted to screwing them with tiny screws which will be hidden once its assembled. Theres still the hinges plus a lot of cables ,rods etc to be added .Ive also cut off and edged the ailerons , when the wings were folded on the Wildcat the control cables tightened and deflected the ailerons upwards , so these will be portrayed as such , while I was at it with the wings Ive scribed the flap line -it was a raised line on the kit. heres some pics DSCN2805 (Copy).JPG DSCN2806 (Copy).JPG DSCN2807 (Copy).JPG DSCN2808 (Copy).JPG DSCN2809 (Copy).JPG DSCN2810 (Copy).JPG DSCN2811 (Copy).JPG DSCN2812 (Copy).JPG
 

yak face

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
6,902
Likes
2,093
Points
113
First Name
tony
#47
Bit more done today , the outer guns have been filled as the Mk V only had four , I also had to fill the ejector chutes and sand off the gun access panels and bulge. The rivet lineshave been re instated by pricking with a sharp pick. I cut out a section on each of the inner wing stubs and backed this with plastic card - this will be the access panel under which is the winding handle to unlock the wings . When the wings are folded this is left open and the handle hanging down , i'll be adding these details much later. The outer wings have been sanded to knock back the raised rivets a bit as the outer wings were flush riveted -unlike the rest of the airframe. DSCN2825 (Copy).JPG DSCN2826 (Copy).JPG DSCN2824 (Copy).JPG DSCN2827 (Copy).JPG DSCN2828 (Copy).JPG DSCN2829 (Copy).JPG DSCN2830 (Copy).JPG DSCN2831 (Copy).JPG