Revell 1:32 He 111 P-1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, as if a 1:24 Spitfire wasn't big enough, here is Revell's 1:32 He 111 P-1. A well known aircraft and well known model. It's been on the market for a few years now, its original price was around the £60.00 mark which isn't bad for a detailed model of this size. These days some people are asking around the £140 mark for this model - build it, maybe I should have sold it, mine cost less than £30. But no, that's not what we do here is it - we buy to build.

So, the box.

The Box.JPG

And the bits,

The stuff.JPG

No there are no sprue shots, too many and too big !  Also, an Eduard mask set, with so much glazing, I'm going to need a bit of help here. I've also bought the Eduard interior PE set along with HGW fabric belts. This aircraft flew with a 'green house' on the front so with so much visible, I thought I would do a bit extra in the 'pit.

IMG_0502.JPG

Cockpit detail is quite good in most places, but PE can make all the difference. So this is removed and replaced by the below.

IMG_0504.JPG

Other areas of the cockpit have the stock detail removed and replaced. Below is the cockpit slowly shaping up. Right now, I seem to be spending ages bending and shaping PE.

IMG_0551.JPG

Eduard instruct you to remove the rear cockpit doors and fit their own, this is then repeated on he next internal doors, so, do I go for internal lights ?? A lot will be on view.

IMG_0552.JPG

So this is what I seem to be doing nearly every night this week, bending metal. But hey, I haven't lost any yet.

IMG_0560.JPG

With so many little pieces to put together, I don't seem to be getting very far at the moment, but soon, I'm sure I'll get to stick something big together soon.

Colin M..

0ne48thtel

you'll need a hanger soon Colin. great start on this one will be watching it come a

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To big for me but I will enjoy seeing it being built here.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Interesting to see this coming together and I admire your handywork with the p.e.  I have often had thoughts about the Eduard p.e. sets but I have never really got along well with p.e. generally and I also have doubts over how much can be seen and hence how much difference it will make to a completed build.  I will follow this with interest.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Interesting to see this coming together and I admire your handywork with the p.e.  I have often had thoughts about the Eduard p.e. sets but I have never really got along well with p.e. generally and I also have doubts over how much can be seen and hence how much difference it will make to a completed build.  I will follow this with interest.

It's a good point, how much difference will PE make. If you built this model, straight OOB, you wouldn't be disappointed, it has enough detail already. Also, I suspect, the overall size of the model is what will catch the eye, not the extra detail in the cockpit. So why bother ? well what I haven't shown yet, is the second, printed fret of PE. This stuff really makes a difference. I'm off work today (ma'am thinks I'm gardening) so hopefully might have some of the printed PE in place.

Also, if you're not sure or having a bit of a problem with PE, 1:32 is a good scale to have a go  - it's big. I have used 1:72 PE before. At that scale, there are some parts I refuse to deal with - madness !

To big for me but I will enjoy seeing it being built here.

When I bought this (it was cheap) I did think, 'What the hell am I going to do with it now' However, I bought it so long ago, daughter No.1 has grown up and moved out, hence my new space and home for my models.

Hope you have the room, its a bbbiiiggg kit when finished.

I found a pic on line of a little lad, must be 6 or 7 years holding one of these, it was about half his size !

you'll need a hanger soon Colin. great start on this one will be watching it come a

After this build Terry, I think I'll return to 1:48 / 1:72.

First Name
Dave
I reckon the PE will make a big difference to the cockpit.In this scale it should be visible through all that glazing.Look forward to seeing more.

D

Doug Hughes

If I were to build this I'd need to engage a divorce lawyer! Good luck Colin - the interior with its extra detail looks stunning so far.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
If I were to build this I'd need to engage a divorce lawyer! Good luck Colin - the interior with its extra detail looks stunning so far.

Cheers Doug. I think I'm ok at the moment, she has just bought me a cup of tea.

Well, the cockpit is generally together and painted. There's a lot of discussion around about which colour this should be, I've gone for this, RLM02, which turns might be wrong - too late now.

Cockpit paint 1.JPG

Some of the printed PE is now in place. Each of those little levers you can see, are separate components.

PE.JPG

And finally for tonight. This harness is made out of 25 individual pieces which took me just under three hours to build and fit. I'm really happy there's no co-pilot !

Harness.JPG

So, that's it for tonight. I might have a little brandy after dealing that harness.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice work on that cockpit Colin. Looking forward to seeing this come together as I've got a couple kits myself and really like the look of this kit.

The etch and the belts look great and really add interest to this very visible interior and the detail painting is terrific.

I think you're right about the colour - RLM66 would probably be the cockpit colour with an 02 fuselage interior. But I've heard talk of He111s prior to the BoB having an 02 cockpit so I think you're good. I had the same dilemma with my Stuka and went with 02 although I'm still not convinced with my decision.

Regardless, this is looking like the start of a really great build.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
BTW

I have read somewhere that some crews removed the cockpit doors completely for ease of movement through the aircraft. Which might aid visibility through to the bomb bay.

Just a thought...

Cheers

P

D

Deleted member 5496

Some very nice workmanship Colin. Great work on the PE. Used to hate the stuff but now i cannot get enough of it.

What is your technique for fixing the PE ?

Laurie

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Cockpit detail is quite good in most places, but PE can make all the difference. So this is removed and replaced by the below.

Amazing PE work there!! Really brings it to life!! B|

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think you're right about the colour - RLM66 would probably be the cockpit colour with an 02 fuselage interior. But I've heard talk of He111s prior to the BoB having an 02 cockpit so I think you're good. I had the same dilemma with my Stuka and went with 02 although I'm still not convinced with my decision.

Yes, I'm leaning more toward 66 as being correct, but I actually like 02. Maybe I'll do the canopy framing in 66. I had read about 'areas forward of the pilot' being painted 66, maybe I can redeem myself this way !

What is your technique for fixing the PE

CA glue. Although for the belts it has to be PVA to allow for shaping the belts into place. Which of course takes time to set.

Amazing PE work there!! Really brings it to life!!

Thanks Gavin. It can be a pain to use, but does bring things to life.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well now, just a few ejector type 'things' to deal with.

IMG_0556.JPGIMG_0558.JPG

Then a bit more photo etch, because I haven't used enough of this stuff already. This is a first for me. I've had to mask the windows on the inside of the fuselage.

IMG_0567.JPG 

Then, a bit pf paint. The pin marks are still visible, but I doubt will be noticed when it's all closed up. Well, hope so.

IMG_0583.JPGIMG_0584.JPG

But at least the cockpit belts are all done.

IMG_0587.JPG

Just a fire extinguisher (with PE bracket) and gun magazines (with more PE) to add to the cockpit. Those belts are great, but so fiddly, I'm not sure I'll use them again. I seem to have done a good few hours on this build so far, but a look to the floor on my right shows what's left.  I'm not sure I'm cut out for large scale planes !

IMG_0588.JPG

Well, that's it for today.

K

Kressy_13

That cockpit is looking awesome mate. The time spent on those belts looks worth it. Really help to bring it to life.

Cheers. 

B

Builder

Colin mate.... that cockpit is one of the best I've seen this year, not overly done and just right. Phenomenal work mate. 

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen this one Colin and wow what work your putting into this one. Some great work with the PE which does make a very big difference and improvement. Going to watch this big beast come together from now on.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great attention to detail with this one Colin.