Revell 1:32 Mk22 spitfire

F

Ferrets Bueller

I got this cheap from hobbycraft and after building the me109 i thought why the hell not do this.

I believe its a reboxed old matchbox kit from quite some time ago and alot of people who have made it have fit issues so it might be a fun build, great thing for a cheap kit it has the option to remove pannels to show the engine and one of the wing guns.

My first experience of airbrushing with tamiya acrylics so also a tester for me too. After starting this yesterday i come to realise that i need a spraybooth extractor as i was high as a kite last night as i didnt have my face mask on properly so ive ordered a booth.

So step one the engine, ive painted it up as i see fit and will add more detail tomorrow as well as weather/wear it up. I also drilled the exhausts so they had a more realstic appearence

D

delmonteman

So that's two people doing this fella then. Here's me trying to justify 80 quid for the Tamiya one, then you show me this. I know the fit wont be anywhere near as good but I might nip the model shop before I get dragged Ikea in the mornin'. How did you drill the exhausts? Was it a Dremel or similar?

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
So that's two people doing this fella then. Here's me trying to justify 80 quid for the Tamiya one, then you show me this. I know the fit wont be anywhere near as good but I might nip the model shop before I get dragged Ikea in the mornin'. How did you drill the exhausts? Was it a Dremel or similar?
I did the exhausts with my pin vice using a very small bit first them a slightly larger one next, i think it could do with a size up if i can do it, will try tomorrow.

Btw i want that tamiya kit too.

M

m1ks

:smiling3: Like waiting for a bus, nothing for ages then two come along at once.

These kits are such a bargain it'd be daft not to try if you're wanting a 32nd scale, you can find a stack on eBay for anything between £10 and £20 delivered, they also did a MkI, I quite fancy one of those but 48th are big enough for the display space I have, dilemmas eh!

Nice start on the engine, look forward to seeing more of the build. It might just tempt me to 'large scale'

Re drilling out, don't risk using a dremel, you'll most likely damage the parts and quite likely snap the bits too, they're very thin and fragile, if you search eBay you'll find bit sets going from 0.2mm to 1.5mm in incremetns of 0.05mm which will tackle pretty much anything modelling related, chuck them in a pin vice and drill by hand, it's easy to do as the styrene is quite soft and control is better. Great for exhaust stubs, cannons, guns and anything you can think of that requires a scale hole really.

Last edited:
F

Ferrets Bueller

Enigne weathered up a bit and most of the cockpit interior sprayed in tamiya xf81 raf dark green 2.

T

T. van Vuuren

Looking realy good so-far!

If I may ask, what does this kit retail for in the UK?

Theuns

D

delmonteman

Got one yesterday for 18 quid. It's bigger than I thought. :smile1:

F

Ferrets Bueller

I paid £13 for this at hobby craft just before christmas it was reduced from £18

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job on the Griffon. You've done well to bring out what detail there is,you can't complain at that price. The exhausts look great.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the detail is very impressive at this price and you can produce a lovely model for very little outlay. That's a great job on the engine, I especially like the exhaust stubs, which will look very good inside the fuselage.

Just not my own favourite Spit shape, to me the teardrop canpoy isn't a Spitfire but that's only personal preferences. Great job on this one though.

M

m1ks

Theuns, you can find it on eBay anywhere between £10 and £20 shipped old stock / private and £15-£20 shipped new shop stock.

Richard, they also do a MkI with the 'proper' :smiling3: canopy in 32nd, usually a smidge pricier but not much in it.

D

delmonteman

Made a start on mine today but I've a question to ask. Can you have a look at your decals for me please? I'm not sure whether mine are faulty or not. On the invasion stripes and the big roundels below them, the white parts don't look white in parts. It seems to be in a straight line though so I dunno if they're supposed to be like that. (Don't want to go back to the shop and look a complete pillock!)

F

Ferrets Bueller

Hi gav just had a look at mine and they are perfectly white so i would take them back if i were you

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Probably wise as they may be a bit naff in other ways. Having said that invasion stripes are easy to spray in this scale and they will always look better sprayed than decalled.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Don't want to spoil the party but are they invasion stripes on the Mk22????? I would have thought it a bit late for that but I know nothing lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a good point Graham. I don't think they entered service until early 1945. They probably missed WWII entirely and certainly missed invasion stripes!

Steve

F

Ferrets Bueller

Funnily enough i was thinking the same the other day, no idea why they are in the decal set but they are?

Right cockpit all together sprayed and weathered, i even had a go at scratch making some seatbelts.

Glued the fuselage together what a dream this kit is, sorry i mean nightmare, i can see alot of filling and sanding needed.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yikes,there's abit of work to do on those seams......good luck.

Cheers

Steve

Š

Španac

...excellent work!!!. Very realistic performance. I look forward to continuing construction.