Revell 1:32 Mk22 spitfire

D

delmonteman

\ said:
Don't want to spoil the party but are they invasion stripes on the Mk22????? I would have thought it a bit late for that but I know nothing lol
I "think" they were used in Korea. I'm only putting 'em on though cus they look cool!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Paul, I see you have met Mr and Mrs fuselage, the married couple that dont really get along together ! Mine went together badly, and even then parted company once or twice. Now then, how's the bit that sticks out in front of the wings, where the engine will sit ? Mine was warped quite bad, I straightend it, but over a couple of days it's gone right back to where it was ! I'm sort of hoping that having the engine in place will straighten things up a bit - but deep down --- I think I've got a problem.

Regards

Colin M.....

B

Bunkerbarge

From what I can gather invasion stripes were still used in the Suez crisis in 1956 however some of them were yellow and black stripes and some of them were much thinner stripes than had been used previously.

I'm sure some of our more experienced members can come up with some relevent information but I'm still looking.

It's also probably worth noting that the Eduard 1/48th scale model ofthe Mk 22/24 Spitfire also includes a variant with invasion stripes.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You are right Richard but the Spitfire was no longer in service with the British by then so I can't see them at Suez.

Going off thread a little,invasion striping at Suez was quite haphazard. I have often read that RN helicopters sported the black/yellow version but I guarantee 100% they didn't. My father flew one from HMS Theseus to land the Royal Marines at Port Said and I have his word and photos (which I recently inherited but haven't sorted out) to prove it.

Here's the relevant page from his log book.

I've often wanted to model his helicopter but all the photos are partial of the aircraft, concentrating on some rather tough looking Royal Marines! I've never found a kit in a larger scale either.

Cheers

Steve

F

Ferrets Bueller

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i hate this kit.

some pics of slow progress filled the fusealge without any major issues, wing roots and enginee covers are just a nightmare.

Back to it it try to get it sanded

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bloody hell! that doesn't look like a lot of fun.

Good luck with the sanding,I think you are going to be busy.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
WOW paul , i wouldnt know whether to sand it or give it a shave!! Looks like youll be busy for a bit, not to mention up to your knees in filler dust!! Keep your chin up , its going to be great when its done, cheers tony

F

Ferrets Bueller

Well its sanded as good as i can do, nowhere near perfect but who cares lol.

Coat of primer on it and got the props done too, got a bit more drive to get this done now this awful thing is together.

F

Fenlander

I looked at the box of mine this evening, I am sure it sniggered........... I really need to see how you two guys get on before I start it.

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
I looked at the box of mine this evening, I am sure it sniggered........... I really need to see how you two guys get on before I start it.
Lol i wouldnt be suprised, to be honest i would stick it on ebay and get what you can for it , no to be fair im gonna do mine to the best of my abilty nd seee what it turns out like apart from the fit issues it actually not a bad kit.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Make a diorama out of it Graham, of a crashed Spit. That should stop it sniggerring!!

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Make a diorama out of it Graham, of a crashed Spit. That should stop it sniggerring!!
Thats actually a good idea, where the hell were you a week ago:nonono::damn::smile1:

D

delmonteman

Just happened upon the first bit of nastiness. The fuselage has gone together fine, as have the lower part of the wings (apart from a bit of a gap at the front). The very front of the lower fuselage though (just behind prop) is really bent out of shape. Thought it was going too well.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Thats actually a good idea, where the hell were you a week ago:nonono::damn::smile1:
Sat here sniggerring at you:laughing:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Do I need help? As I watch you and Gav struggle I'm developing a perverse urge to have a go at one of these myself.

Nurse!

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Do I need help? As I watch you and Gav struggle I'm developing a perverse urge to have a go at one of these myself.Nurse!

Steve
After doing a Tamiya, you want to try one of these ! Straight jacket and flower pressing for Mr stona.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
After doing a Tamiya, you want to try one of these ! Straight jacket and flower pressing for Mr stona.
Right,I've ordered one but I'm not starting until these two pathfinders are finished! At least that way they can high light and fix all the problems for me.

Keep up the good work lads!

Cheers

Steve